Clarification needed on barrel length and .410 buckshot spread, please - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Clarification needed on barrel length and .410 buckshot spread, please

Member #
    Liked
    219 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    Sadly, most of the stuff you read about the Judge is by folks who have never so much as fired one let alone own one or have done any indepth testing with it, ergo much of it is based purely upon supposition/conjecture rather than fact.
    Heck, most of the folks who actually do bother to test the Judge do so begrudgingly and end up doing a terrible job because their heart just isn't in it, so they rush through it by just testing one or two types of common ammo, then the rest of it is just a lot of words. In fact, that's a great way to spot poor testing or reviews on the Judge, if there is more talking than there is shooting, then it's inherently a poor test.

Anyway, the Judge has a wide variety of erroneous assumptions in regards to its performance which have unfortunately been accepted as fact in spite of the fact that they have by tested and disproven.

• Longer Barrels = Less Accuracy because the rifling spins the shot!
      While it is true that the rifling can cause the shot to spread, but it can only spread so much and longer barrels would not increase the effect. Furthermore, the larger the shot you are using the less spread there will be, and 000 Buck is honestly what you should be using for self-defense anyway. Lastly, most ammo that is designed specifically for the Judge makes use of a shot cup or sabot to prevent the shot from ever coming into contact with the rifling, so it's a moot point if you use proper ammo.
    • The distance between the bullet and the barrel inside the cylinder reduces accuracy!
      This is a terrible argument which has long since been disproven by shooting Specials out of Magnum Revolvers, yet somehow it has made a comeback with the Judge and people like to pretend that it's more relevant because the cylinder space is longer out of the Judge. Once again it has been tested and disproved, but when you dislike something enough you'll cling to any anecdotal evidence to support your stance, so you get folks using bullets/loads which have terrible/inconsistent accuracy out of an SAA, M25, Redhawk or any other .45 caliber revolver on the market, testing such ammo out of a Judge then blaming it for said inaccuracy.
    • The length and dimensions of the cylinder cause gas blow-by which reduces the velocity of bullets!
      This one is my personal favorite since not only is it incorrect, but is actually the opposite of reality. ShootingtheBull410 tested this once and revealed that the exact opposite was true, that the cylinder length actually increases the velocity of bullets by functioning as barrel length.
    • The shallow rifling makes .45s less accurate out of the Judge!
      Here's another funny one because even folks who dislike the Judge like Paul Harrel have to admit that is false because it isn't even vaguely true. The reality of the situation is that most folks who tested out the accuracy of the Judge with .45LC did so with a 3" Barrel, then pitted it against other revolvers with 6" or longer Barrels, but if you actually test the Judge's accuracy alongside a revolver with a similar barrel length like 4" or use a 6.5" Judge, then it actually has similar accuracy, which also serves to disprove supposition listed above.
    Well stated with lots of facts. My testing is pretty simple. I load my Public Defender with five rounds of Federal 410 Handgun 000 and shoot it at a B-27 target 7 yards away. Everything is eight ring or better. The same goes for Hornady Critical Defense. I don't care if it chronos at 825, 837.5, or whatever. Five squeezes equals 15 to 20 lethal hits. That's good enough for me.

Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    I can't answer your question directly only with what I have found with my 3" barrel, .25" cylinder Judges. Both are accurate at self defense distances with 000 Buckshot but open up radically after that. Both are also very accurate with .45 Long Colt ammunition as long as you pay attention to your fundamentals. If your concern is missed shots going through a wall in a self defense situation, you will be fine. Most encounters are quite close and well within the capabilities of what the Judge was designed for.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The National Guard: The ORIGINAL Department of Homeland Security since 1636.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by andyknaster View Post
    Well stated with lots of facts. My testing is pretty simple. I load my Public Defender with five rounds of Federal 410 Handgun 000 and shoot it at a B-27 target 7 yards away. Everything is eight ring or better. The same goes for Hornady Critical Defense. I don't care if it chronos at 825, 837.5, or whatever. Five squeezes equals 15 to 20 lethal hits. That's good enough for me.
    andy,

You neglected to ask the gentleman for his sources.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links