Does this Judge configuration exist?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Does this Judge configuration exist?

Member #
    Liked
    29 times

Does this Judge configuration exist?

Hi,

Trying to buy a Judge can be a pain in the, uh, nether region.

I'm trying to find a Judge, or Public Defender that is:

1. All metal (not Poly).

2. Black (not stainless steel)

3. Has a 2 inch OR a 2.5 inch BARREL

4. Has a 3 inch CHAMBER

*If you know of one, please supply the model name and number.*

It seems as if every time I find one that fits this description, I click on the link and up pops a picture with a 3 inch barrel. Then I get to wondering is the description right but the picture wrong?

Or is the description wrong and the picture is what they are actually selling.

I hope I have explained my question well enough to understand.

The only thing I'm sure of is I have described what I'm looking for correctly and I'm tired of looking. I've wasted a long time searching with no positive results.

Thanks
    Last edited by mikem; 04-27-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2058 times
    Unfortunately, the Public Defender does not come in a "Magnum" configuration with a 3" chambered cylinder, (only the Judge Magnum and Raging Judge have a 3" chambered cylinder) most likely because it would render the concealed carry model of an already beefy revolver which stretches the limits of what most would consider to be a concealed carry revolver even more difficult to concealed carry.

That being said, everything else you want is available, so as long as you're willing to settle for a 2.5" chambered cylinder, you're golden.

If you don't really plan on attempting to carry the Judge, then I would recommend getting the Taurus Judge Magnum since the added weight is only beneficial if you plan on using it for Home Defense, Wilderness Defense, a Vehicle Defense firearm, or just plain fun at the range since it helps to tame the recoil of those 3" shells.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    Unfortunately, the Public Defender does not come in a "Magnum" configuration with a 3" chambered cylinder, (only the Judge Magnum and Raging Judge have a 3" chambered cylinder) most likely because it would render the concealed carry model of an already beefy revolver which stretches the limits of what most would consider to be a concealed carry revolver even more difficult to concealed carry.

That being said, everything else you want is available, so as long as you're willing to settle for a 2.5" chambered cylinder, you're golden.

If you don't really plan on attempting to carry the Judge, then I would recommend getting the Taurus Judge Magnum since the added weight is only beneficial if you plan on using it for Home Defense, Wilderness Defense, a Vehicle Defense firearm, or just plain fun at the range since it helps to tame the recoil of those 3" shells.
    Hi Tuco,

Then I wonder what this guy is trying to sell?"

Here's his description:

"Taurus "The Judge" 3"chamber, .410/45LC, 5 Shot, Like New in Box, All Paperwork, 45LC Ammo, .410 Shells. $1475 OBO. Some Full or Partial Trades may be considered.

Here's what he said about it when I inquired:

"Thanks for the inqui*ry. It is like new, because I own it! You can't find a Taurus Judge all Metal for less than what I am asking! This is not a POLY. It is 3" Chamber and all metal frame and cylinder."

Finally here is a photo. Look at the barrel. It is either 2" or 2.5", certainly no longer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mikem; 04-28-2019 at 01:55 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    That's a Public Defender. The barrel is indeed 2 inches but the chamber is only 2.5" despite what he says in the listing.

It's important to note that the cylinder is designed for 2.5" shells....the actual length of the cylinder itself is slightly longer so the shells have room to open without getting stuck. I can't recall the actual measurement but I believe its closer to 2.75" .....that maybe where the seller is confused.
    Last edited by Spool; 04-27-2019 at 11:36 PM.
    loudviking likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Spool View Post
    That's a Public Defender. The barrel is indeed 2 inches but the chamber is only 2.5" despite what he says in the listing.

It's important to note that the cylinder is designed for 2.5" shells....the actual length of the cylinder itself is slightly longer so the shells have room to open without getting stuck. I can't recall the actual measurement but I believe its closer to 2.75" .....that maybe where the seller is confused.
    Spool,

The seller says it is a discontinued Raging Bull Model 513 and that it indeed has a 3" chamber.

And he wants a ton for it.

"Try to find one in "like new" condition with box, papers manual etc. like this one" he said. "You won't, or if you do it'll be around $1500 like this one."
    Last edited by mikem; 04-28-2019 at 01:05 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1700 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    Spool,

The seller says it is a discontinued Raging Bull Model 513 and that it indeed has a 3" chamber.

And he wants a ton for it.

"Try to find one in "like new" condition with box, papers manual etc. like this one" he said. "You won't, or if you do it'll be around $1500 like this one."
    The M513 is the Raging Judge Magnum. I've never seen one with a barrel shorter than 3", but 2 - 2 1/2 may be a discontinued option as he says. The 3" barrel and 6.5" barrel M513 are still (as far as I know) in production and available for under a grand.
    Any fool can know. The point is to understand.
    ~ Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    The seller is either trying to con you or severely misinformed about what Judge they have. The one in that pic is definitely a Public Defender with Pachmayr grips on it. I don't think the Raging Judge ever came in a 2" barrel version. That one pictured is not a raging judge of any version.....you can tell because it doesn't have the second latch on the front of the cylinder. Also I don't believe Pachmayr ever made those grips for the Raging Judge.

I really think the seller is trying to scam you, or he's just dumb lol

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Spool View Post
    The seller is either trying to con you or severely misinformed about what Judge they have. The one in that pic is definitely a Public Defender with Pachmayr grips on it. I don't think the Raging Judge ever came in a 2" barrel version. That one pictured is not a raging judge of any version.....you can tell because it doesn't have the second latch on the front of the cylinder. Also I don't believe Pachmayr ever made those grips for the Raging Judge.

I really think the seller is trying to scam you, or he's just dumb lol
    Spool,

This is a blown-up photo of the firearm in question. I also changed the contrast.

I don't think this is a Public Defender.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    2058 times
    Yeah, the seller either has no idea what he's talking about or is deliberately trying to con people. That's not a Raging Judge, it's a Public Defender, and I can tell just by looking that it has a 2.5" chambered cylinder.

For reference here are some pictures straight from the Taurus website...

Taurus Judge Public Defender

Taurus Raging Judge

Notice the massive difference in size between the two? Also notice that the Raging Judge has a cylinder catch on both ends of the cylinder and the extended ejector rod for the 3" shells. Even if there was a discontinued PD variant with a 3" chambered cylinder, you'd be able to spot it easily due to the difference in length and the presence of an extended ejector rod, and neither of which are present on the PD you have linked to.
    Last but not least, the Raging Judge's barrel would be marked "RAGING JUDGE".
    Last edited by Tuco_Ramírez; 04-28-2019 at 10:47 AM.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    1700 times
    Well, I just ran the serial number of the pictured gun.
    Somebody's being less than 100% honest...

SERIAL NO. CY970703
    MODEL 2-441031TC
    DESCRIPTION 4510 Judge Compact 45LC/.410ga BL 3'' Bbl, 5 SHOT
    Any fool can know. The point is to understand.
    ~ Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links