Does the Circuit Court Judge Have a Wider Patern than Other 410s
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By YOT

Thread: Does the Circuit Court Judge Have a Wider Patern than Other 410s

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Does the Circuit Court Judge Have a Wider Patern than Other 410s

My arthritic, 64 year old mum really wants to go turkey hunting and whilst she owns a Winchester SXP 12ga for duck hunting I don't know if she'd ever be confident enough to shoot 3in turkey loads since even I find them pretty "exhilarating" as far as recoil goes.

Supposedly Federal TSS loads in .410 are good turkey-stoppers and I think a Circuit Court Judge would strike her fancy if I bought her one as a gift, especially to facilitate finally getting a turkey. But before I commit I want to know if the rifled barrel of the CCJ, even with the special "reverse-rifled choke" for .410 loads is going to open the pattern to the point it won't work for turkeys and I should hope she can handle 2.75in turkey loads in her SXP or if it'll perform like any other .410 and with practice will get her a turkey if she does her part. I think it being lighter and less recoiling will also get her to practice more.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10641 times
    Using a Circuit Judge for Turkey hunting..Wow - never thought of using it for that. I currently don;t own one, but have shot a few. The shot pattern still disburses too much past 25 feet to get a good hit, using normal birdshot. Not sure about the TSS loads. But would be a great range review if you decide to try. Hopefully one of our members with actual hunting experience using the CCJ will weigh in. Personally I would stick with a smooth bore 410 or 20 using turkey shot.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

YOT
    Member #
    Liked
    3464 times
    I think there are much better choices for scatterguns to hunt birds with than the CCJ. A nice little pump in 410 with a full choke (for the application you asked about) would be better. Henry and Marlin, maybe others, make a lever action 410. I know the Henry has changeable chokes.
    silverstring likes this.
    "It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts, it's being willing. I found out early that most men regardless of cause or need aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger and I won't." - The Shootist (John Wayne)

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links