• 1 Post By BillPubDef
  • 1 Post By
  • 1 Post By GreenWolf70

Thread: Some .410 loads binding / not easy fit to cylinder

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Some .410 loads binding / not easy fit to cylinder

Hello all, I am a newbie here, just joined. I purchased a Pubic Defender Poly and took it out for it first run yesterday. While I had no issues whatsoever with the 45 Colts, some of the 410 shells do not easily drop into the cylinder. The way I discovered this to be a problem is that one did not want to come out after being fired. Then I noticed that some drop right in and some stop about the time they get to the metal part of the shell. Yes, all are 2 1/2 inch. Here is what I saw:

1. Winchester 410 no 7.5 shot drop right in no issue (smooth plastic shell)
    2. Remington 410 no 6 shot - no fit (ribbed plastic shell - assume that is the issue) - issue #1
    3. Federal Premium 410 Handgun OOO Buck - (just slightly ribbed shell) - Odd - about 60% drop right in no issue, the other 40% stop with half of the metal end still sticking out (about a quarter inch of the shell sticking out). So,,, I can push it in, but afraid it will be a pain to get out of the cylinder again) - Issue #2

So..I am looking for any input here, known problem, not, ?????
    I found one old string in a search but it was from 2015 and really did not say much.

I would appreciate any insights!!

Thanks... oh by the way.... I love this gun!!!

Bill
    silverstring likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11192 times
    Welcome to the best firearms forum on the web. The problem you describe is normal for Judges. Most 410's made for handguns will fit ok, unless ribbing is too aggressive. Tip: shooting 45LC prior to shooting 410 will cause seating/extraction issues. Because the carbon left in the cylinder after shooting 45LC will reduce cylinder diameter slightly. I always run a patch through the cylinders after shooting 45LC before I move onto 410. Also I try and keep my 410 loads below 1150 FPS, both for less recoil and wear on the Poly Judge frame. But not to worry there are lots of 410 bird loads that have 1150 or lower fps. Find the 410 shells that always seat easily and stick with that brand if the sticking concerns you. Another reason to not use hot 410 in a judge, is that the spent shell case will expand sometimes too much to get out. Have fun.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Thanks Silverstring! I just cleaned it again, good solid brushing. The Remington no 6 shot are never going to fit - large ribs and as I examine them more closely, they had odd bulges here and there (low quality case).

The Fed Premium now drop in just fine. I will keep the 45 Colt advice in mind. For me, both 45colt and 410 are a part of the mission for this gun.. Literally 'on the farm' - from snakes to the odd rabid critter.

Thanks again
    silverstring likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2286 times
    I'd just like to add that many .410 Bore shotshells possess many minute differences in OAL that don't really matter when it comes to shotguns, but can cause issues in revolvers or derringers. As a result, it can sometimes be tricky to find shells that fit right in the standard 2.5" chambered Judge.

To give a little anecdote here, my brother owns a standard Judge chambered for 2.5" shells while I have the Judge Magnum chambered for 3" shells. On one occasion when we went out to the range together, the cylinder of my brother's Judge kept getting jammed shut whenever he would fire Winchester Super X .410 2.5" shells out of his Judge, thus requiring him to bang the cylinder open to extract the spent cases, yet when I tried them out of my Judge Magnum with a 3" chamber. Upon closer inspection, we found that the 2.5" shells were just long enough once fired for the crimped portion of the shell to unfurl into the forcing cone of his Judge, thus causing it to jam.
    silverstring likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    10946 times
    I can tell you now that any .410 you shoot out of any Judge, you need to make sure it is loaded with hard shot. I have killed many Copperheads with my Judge and I can tell you that skeet loads seem to work best because they typically use hardened shot. Currently I am using Win AA loaded with #9 shot. I have never had to use more than one shot on a snake with these. I even shot one about 20-25 feet above me in a tree, and it was still a one shot kill. Aim for the head BTW.

The reason you want to use shells loaded with hardened shot is that soft lead will severely deform and sail away. I have personally seen #000 buck shot (soft) fired at a target 5 feet away and only put one pellet on paper. The Federal PD #000 buck shot is the best available because the pellets are all copper plated and they have a shot cup specially developed for the Judge.

My Judge is a 2.5" chambered, 4" barreled SS Judge. I have never had it jam because the fired case was too long. I know some of the early Federal PD rounds were a little out of spec and could be hard to get in or out of the cylinder, but I thought they had fixed that. I also know that some shotgun rounds swell over time, so check for old ammo and especially discolored or corroded ammo. Still, I don't worry about tight fitting shotgun rounds. If your can get them in the cylinder, just a sharp rap on the ejector rod will get them loose. And if not, a long Phillips screwdriver will get them out, some people keep a wooden dowel just for that.
    silverstring likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links