Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TAO4409
  • 2 Post By coopercdrkey

Thread: 3" Judge Cylinder Stuck Closed.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

3" Judge Cylinder Stuck Closed.

I've had this revolver for a while, took it out back to try it out recently, fired 5 rounds through it, reloaded the cylinder, closed it, now it is stuck closed. I called Taurus and they said send it to them. I told the guy I couldn't because I can't *unload* it. Besides being stuck shut, it does seem to function, but I'm a bit concerned about firing it when it has an issue, nor do I think it is good form to send it back with spent shells in it.
    Has anyone else here has this issue?
    I'm stumped, and a tad miffed about it. LOL

Member #
    Liked
    10727 times
    I think I would spend a few bucks with a local smith to get the cyl. open and unloaded, then arrange to send it ti Taurus for warranty service. It's a couple of bucks out of pocket, I know.

PS- ​Welcome to the Forum!
    kschilk and john_bud like this.
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "Actually that is a pistol in my pocket..... But I am glad to see you." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

Member #
    Liked
    6854 times
    Quote Originally Posted by coopercdrkey View Post
    I think I would spend a few bucks with a local smith to get the cyl. open and unloaded, then arrange to send it ti Taurus for warranty service. It's a couple of bucks out of pocket, I know.

PS- ​Welcome to the Forum!
    What he said, has a lot of logic to it. And welcome from South Tulsa.
    The Pharmaceutical Industry does not create solutions; they create customers!

Live an honest & decent life; & enjoy it. It does have an expiration date!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2828 times
    Welcome to TA from Minnesota.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the welcome folks; pleased to have found this place.
    Update: After posting here I got motivated and pulled the thing apart, pulled all the screws, sideplate, took the guts out of it and *still* couldn't open the cylinder, so I put it back together (that was interesting LOL). Today I am going to "bite the bullet" and just fire it, making very sure the chambers line up with the barrel each time. Then I'm going to call Taurus again. I'll send it to them with the spent ammo in it if she still won't open. I'd take it to a gunsmith but I'm really not willing to spend another dime on a revolver that cost almost 600 bucks after the fancy grip I put on it and it screwed up after 5 rounds. I will say this though; taking her apart and putting her back together with live rounds in there was a bit nerve wracking. LOL
    I shall post an update when I find out what is going to happen. I appreciate the advice.
    Long Live The Republic.

YOT
    Member #
    Liked
    3539 times
    Before you do that be very sure you don't have a bullet stuck in the cylinder gap/forcing cone, most likely from a squib. That would make for a terrible day.
    "It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts, it's being willing. I found out early that most men regardless of cause or need aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger and I won't." - The Shootist (John Wayne)

Member #
    Liked
    7279 times
    If you are saying the cylinder won't open then maybe the extractor rod has loosened. Just as on most any revolver where the extractor rod unscrews from the cylinder, ratchet or star if the rod is partly unscrewed it will not release when pushing the cylinder latch. Be very careful doing this with a loaded gun but I have used a small screwdriver on the knurled part of the rod to turn it enough to open the gun then tighten it. Be careful not to scratch up the gun though.
    NC DCJTSD Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    18068 times
    Seems like over the past several weeks, there has been at least one judge per week having problems with the cylinder stuck.

Member #
    Liked
    1679 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AOCM.RET View Post
    Seems like over the past several weeks, there has been at least one judge per week having problems with the cylinder stuck.
    I have seen a few on youtube lately as well every single one was a 3"barrel with 2.5 cylinder thinking they had a 2 inch barrel and a 3 inch cylinder.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    11350 times
    Welcome to the best forum on the web from Texas.Sorry you are having an issue with your judge. It could be wrong or bad ammo, or something else. I have some ideas but with your gun is in an unsafe condition , it just doesn;t make sense to suggest a course of action without seeing for myself , don't suppose you live in SE Texas? When you took it apart did you notice if the cylinder detent latch arm could be moved/ or were you able to push the cylinder unlatch button to the open position or was it frozen?; Maybe snap a few pics one from the back of the cylinder - capturing the back of the ammo..then a pic of the front of the cylinder capturing the front of the ammo. Also have you looked with a bright light into the front and back cylinder area. Any obvious obstructions - like firing pin sticking out. When you say it seems to operate - what does that mean? Also a warning if you are going to work on this anymore - please keep the barrel pointed into a bucket of sand or some other capture device in case of an unintentional discharge. Really unless you are familiar with working on revolvers, $20-$30 bucks for a smith to get it safely unloaded would be worth it. Heck he may even find what went wrong. I would be happy to work on it for you if you live close. Just a quick pic of how a judge should look in operating condition:

Attachment 82858

The second pic if it shows up is the firing pin in black and the cylinder release arm in red circle - having trouble with the editor
    Last edited by silverstring; 04-13-2014 at 09:04 PM.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Sponsored Links