Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Shooting range in Manchester area

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Shooting range in Manchester area

Hi!

I have seen there are some fellow Brits around. I am a very fresh seed on the guns arena but I can already say that I am hooked. After shooting BB guns and pea-shots I have moved on to something more serious and acquired Taurus PT 92. I would love to try it out but I am a little clueless as where to? It is UK so no way I can give it a shot in the woods. Do you guys know any shooting range in Manchester area? I have no problem with driving up to places 2 hours away, if necessary.
    Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1618 times
    Hey George..

As an introduction let me say welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of good information here about Taurus pistols. You mention the PT92 so I presume you're talking about a long barrelled version? I'm curious regarding your question as to where to shoot it as I would have thought you are a gun club member anyway? I've held firearms certificates for over 40 years and never heard of anyone 'acquiring' a pistol without club membership.

To answer your question as to a range to go to; Minsterley Ranges is pretty near to you, down in Shropshire. I used to travel from Southport down there and it took about 90 minutes to get there. They have a website Minsterley Ranges - Run By Shooters For Shooters it's a good place to shoot.

I'm in the Isle of Man so things are a little different for us over here. We are lucky to be able to own and shoot any variety of handgun, without the restrictions of it being classed as a long barrelled pistol or revolver. I have a very nice Taurus M669 .357 revolver and a Ruger SR1911 9mm.

Let me know how you get on.

EDIT: just noticed your signature. I might be better for you if you went to Bisley, near Woking. About an hour away from MK and they have pistol ranges. Just don't turn up wearing ANY form of cammo…!!!

Last edited by ManxTom; 03-18-2020 at 04:48 AM.
    taurustoter likes this.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    4471 times
    Name:  Welcome.bmp
Views: 65
Size:  101.3 KB
    May 2020 find you safe, happy and healthy!
    Vote for the preservation of our Constitution!
    Keep
    America Great - TRUMP 2020!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3098 times
    Welcome to TA from Minnesota, USA.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Member #
    Liked
    7055 times
    Welcome from South Texas. Sorry no help with your question.

Member #
    Liked
    2450 times
    Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.
    Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the snake, The snake didn't have a leg to stand on.

Opportunity may knock ounce, but temptation leans on the doorbell.

Member #
    Liked
    1514 times
    Welcome aboard, from Las Vegas!

Get on a plane and fly to the USA.
    Stay away from the coastal Northeast (Massachusettes, New York, New Jersey), and the westcoast (California, Oregon, Washington).
    Anywhere in-between will be fine.

Member #
    Liked
    3883 times
    Hello and welcome to the site OP!
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    3883 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxTom View Post
    Hey George..

As an introduction let me say welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of good information here about Taurus pistols. You mention the PT92 so I presume you're talking about a long barrelled version? I'm curious regarding your question as to where to shoot it as I would have thought you are a gun club member anyway? I've held firearms certificates for over 40 years and never heard of anyone 'acquiring' a pistol without club membership.

To answer your question as to a range to go to; Minsterley Ranges is pretty near to you, down in Shropshire. I used to travel from Southport down there and it took about 90 minutes to get there. They have a website Minsterley Ranges - Run By Shooters For Shooters it's a good place to shoot.

I'm in the Isle of Man so things are a little different for us over here. We are lucky to be able to own and shoot any variety of handgun, without the restrictions of it being classed as a long barrelled pistol or revolver. I have a very nice Taurus M669 .357 revolver and a Ruger SR1911 9mm.

Let me know how you get on.

EDIT: just noticed your signature. I might be better for you if you went to Bisley, near Woking. About an hour away from MK and they have pistol ranges. Just don't turn up wearing ANY form of cammo…!!!

What do you mean by a "long barreled" pistol? Has to be a pistol with a certain barrel length?
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1618 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taurustoter View Post
    What do you mean by a "long barreled" pistol? Has to be a pistol with a certain barrel length?
    In the UK handguns, as you and I know them, are banned outright. However you can own a handgun provided it ticks three boxes. 1. Barrel length not less than 12". 2. Am arm 'brace' must be attached and integral to the frame and not removable. 3. The total overall length must be not less than 24".

Like this: https://bradfordstalker.co.uk/taurus...ver-arm-brace/

But, as I live in the Isle of Man, which is part of GB but NOT part of the UK, I can own and shoot pretty much any type of pistol / revolver I want..

EDIT: I should point out that you can get semi-auto pistols as well. They have the brace but the barrel, to meet the legal requirements, has a dummy suppressor (which is actually a 12" barrel ) fitted to give it the overall length. And only available in .22LR as anything over that is banned as a semi-auto.

Like this:
    https://bradfordstalker.co.uk/gsg-19...barrel-pistol/

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ManxTom; 03-19-2020 at 04:21 AM.
    taurustoter and CJS3 like this.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links