Two Nations.. divided by a common language.. But are we??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Two Nations.. divided by a common language.. But are we??

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    218 times

Two Nations.. divided by a common language.. But are we??

I guess many will know of the vagaries of 'American English' and 'British English. You have sidewalks, we have pavements. You have first floor, we have ground floor. Over here a rubber is something that is attached to the end of a pencil and is used for erasing mistakes.. (though I guess a condom serves a similar purpose).

I have been told, and I can quite see the thinking behind it, that two guys, from New Hampshire travelled to Scotland to do some deer stalking (that's what we call hunting) (they were financially well blessed). It transpires that they never got to get out on the hill because their ghillie (guide) refused to let them carry the 30 rounds of .308 ammo each one wanted to take..!! There is this notion of the 'Texas Heart Shot', that is keep shooting until it drops..!! Not the way we do things over here at all. My last deer stalking trip lasted four days and, even with sighting shots on a range before hand I never shot more than 8 rounds..!!

But all that aside, we both have a common link, a bond, and that is the appeal that good firearms have. They say that only an accurate gun is an interesting one. Well I'll not contradict that statement, but I will say that I, personally, find all firearms interesting. Moreover, I find that how you guys relate to them as interesting as well. We, of course, don't have EDC. God forbid that they government would let a civilian have a permit to strap a pistol on his, or her, belt and walk away..!!

But we do, over here, love our sport despite the number of hoops we have to jump through to justify firearm ownership. And, on the odd occasion, you do come up against someone in authority who is just beyond the pale. One such person I had to deal with, he was one of my local FEO's (Firearms Enquiry Officer) a former police constable who, at any time and anywhere, would tell anyone listening that, in his opinion, nobody save for the police and military, should have firearms AND he was proud to admit he'd NEVER fired a rifle, pistol or shotgun in his life..!!!

And how about this. I wanted some info on the Ruger SR1911 I have. So I called the company in the UK that import them. After a little musak interlude and the boring "your enquiry means a lot to us, so we are recording this call for training purposes.." message I was put through to the relevant department. I asked my questions and was promptly told "We can't talk to you about Section 5 (banned) weapons, we can't divulge information to the general public". I was rather nonplussed at this so, keeping my cool, I said "How about you look in your little book and check the serial number I'm going to give you against your list of imported pistols, that way you can see I have really got one in front of me..?".
    The answer was not very long in coming... "Sorry, Sir, we cannot let you have any information regarding pistols". "WHAT..!! not even one you sold to me through a dealer?". "No I can't tell you, please contact the dealer you got it off".

I was about to launch into a "why the heck do you think I'm calling you?, because he can't tell me what I want to know and suggested I contact you...!!!!" But I didn't. I just put the phone down (OK, it was with about 40ft lbs of force).

One area where our two great nations differ greatly is in the field of CUSTOMER RELATIONS. When visiting friends last year in Louisiana I was taken to a local gun shop. At this time I had made a firm decision to get the Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander in 9mm. And I wanted to know if 10 round mags were easily available. The guy in the shop couldn't have been more helpful, to the point where he was telling me he could, and I quote, "Help me put it in my case so no TSA or Homeland Security Agent could find it". I may be daft but I'm not stupid..!! God Bless America
    Now, generally, in GB/UK you get the feeling that a sales assistant in doing you a favour in attending to your needs in a shop. Again, generally, don't you dare ask them a question about a product for fear that they will go into meltdown trying to recall the product details.. or they'll read it from the card attached and make it look like you're to stupid to have read it yourself..

Best sales pitch I have ever seen in GB.. "Ears pierced while you wait..".

Just a few rambling thoughts guys. Take care.
    Last edited by Smokewagon; 10-15-2019 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Language
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2788 times
    I love to hear those personal stories, especially those from another part of the world.

Customer service here in America is pretty hit and miss. I will say however, that "gun people" are among the most friendly (and talkative) around. I am not what I would call a "gun person" but I have recently started buying (too many) guns. Most of my purchases have been over the Internet. I may have to interact with some distant gun shop to give them my credit card information, and then I also have to interact with my local gun shop to receive the interstate transfer. (Here in the USA, we cannot buy/sell across state lines without a federal license, so out of state purchases get shipped to my licensed gun shop and I must pick them up there--it really ain't a free country.)

Anyway, all those interactions with distant gun shops, as well as interaction with my local shop that does the transfers, and my interaction with the three local ranges I've been to, have all been very positive. Maybe it is the nature of everyone being polite who has a gun? I don't know, but "gun people" seem to be very easy to deal with.

Your story about magazines is interesting to me. I actually don't know what TSA would do if they found a gun magazine on you. I know that guns must travel in the luggage compartment, but I don't know about magazines. Of course, internationally is a different story. I do have an interesting parallel here. I just purchased a Beretta 81BB. Magazines for Beretta 81's are difficult (read impossible) to come up with here, but I have a co-worker who is, right now, travelling in Italy. I considered asking him to pick up as many as he could and bring them back. I could use a few and sell the rest at a handsome profit. He's a young guy and probably would be nervous about it and I have no idea what the law would say about it. Heck, you can bring back a bottle of wine, why not little metal springy things?
    ManxTom likes this.

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    218 times
    Your analogy regarding a 'little metal springy thing' reminds me of a run-in I had with FedEx. I ordered a speedloader for my 1911, a thing called an Uplula. it was sent via FedEx from the US. All was well until it landed in GB.. then the fun started as FedEx UK wouldn't release it to me as it was, in their words, "a gun part". Two weeks of phone calls and emails.. until I sent an email with a YouTube link to a demo of the loader and a link to the sales website..!! They sent it on to me, but very reluctantly..!!
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4170 times
    I hope we in America, never feel your pain, ManxTom. If more law-abiding Englishmen were carrying 1911s, knife attacks would be a distant memory.
    ManxTom, jtg452 and taurustoter like this.
    https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/si...gpic4401_1.gif
    "Humans more important than hardware."

Member #
    Liked
    19707 times
    I enjoyed reading your ramblings!

In comparison our firearms laws are way less restrictive than GB but the leftists keep tightening the screws here. The "Rulers" would very much like to have us commoners as defenseless as the Brits.
    taurustoter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4065 times
    You're more than welcome on our shores! Heck we've got some of the best ale on the planet. Not to mention plenty of arms and munitions.

You'd have to adhere to our constitution -- but I have the feeling you more than understand the importance of that document to us.
    GhostHorse and darbo like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31456 times
    Well, you see, over here it's a God given RIGHT to keep and bear arms. Over there it's permitted only by permission of the gooberment. Now, that is theory, not well put into practice on our side due to left wing kooks and snow flakes that think cops can defend them in a back alley somewhere.

But, even though bearing arms is quite clearly spelled out by our constitution as a RIGHT, you still must ask the gooberment for a permit to practice it. The permit is "shall issue", though, just requiring a background check to make sure you're not a felon. Didn't use to be that way, but we fought for it and won it in most states. A few states like Arizona allow carry without a permit. I love the words for this, "constitutional carry", as intended by the framers of the constitution.
    taurustoter likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    3434 times
    No government, nor country for that matter, lasts forever. I do have to admit though, the drive for one group of people to rule over another, never seems to go away...controlling weapons of any sort, is just one way that they use to control another group of people. This too, never lasts forever. You would think, in knowing this, we would try to find a better way, but this can never be. About the time you get old enough to understand this, you die off, and another generation comes along and has to learn what the other one died with.
    NativeTexan and ManxTom like this.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    1184 times
    Tom, having those type of restrictions on your right to self defense is really foreign to most of us here in America.

My Wife's Grandfather immigrated to the USA as a small child from the Isle of Man. Joined the US Calvary in the Great War & went back to Europe to help liberate the Continent from lunacy. He was a great patriot & owned many guns. He often spoke of the idiocy of the European gun controls.

C'mon back. You'll always be welcomed in our community. (Just don't hang out in Maryland, N.Y., or Kalifornia.)
    taurustoter and Czechbikr like this.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS

60 AND COUNTING

Member #
    Liked
    3434 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxTom View Post
    Your analogy regarding a 'little metal springy thing' reminds me of a run-in I had with FedEx. I ordered a speedloader for my 1911, a thing called an Uplula. it was sent via FedEx from the US. All was well until it landed in GB.. then the fun started as FedEx UK wouldn't release it to me as it was, in their words, "a gun part". Two weeks of phone calls and emails.. until I sent an email with a YouTube link to a demo of the loader and a link to the sales website..!! They sent it on to me, but very reluctantly..!!
    What in God's name ever happened to the British Empire? A hundred years ago, the sun never set on it, but now? Good Lord. I can't imagine the "rank and file" British citizen being such a bunch of wienies, like their government...or am I wrong?
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links