Two Nations.. divided by a common language.. But are we?? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Two Nations.. divided by a common language.. But are we??

Member #
    Liked
    5466 times
    My father flew out of RAF Bodney in Norfolk during WWII. He said the Brits we damn fine soldiers and airmen. During my time in the CG I did get to meet a few of HMCG personnel when they came over for helo SAR ops training. They gave me no reason to doubt my father's assessment.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Undercover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol Grip - M'berg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - Hi-Point 995TS - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    1070 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taurustoter View Post
    No government, nor country for that matter, lasts forever. I do have to admit though, the drive for one group of people to rule over another, never seems to go away...controlling weapons of any sort, is just one way that they use to control another group of people. This too, never lasts forever. You would think, in knowing this, we would try to find a better way, but this can never be. About the time you get old enough to understand this, you die off, and another generation comes along and has to learn what the other one died with.
    Yea, if we could only write it down so our kids could have it so they wouldn't have to suffer.
    We could say something like...
    ​We The People, in order to form a more perfect union....
    DeltaBravoKS and taurustoter like this.

ETF
    Member #
    Liked
    2228 times
    It's been almost 35-years since I left the UK. Laterly, I lived in London and was a member of the Kensington Rifle and Pistol Club. I always shot the club guns but by the time I got there they had been well used and pretty dirty so I decided that it would be better if I got my own .22 Anschutz rifle. And there began the saga. After the third visit to my home by two detectives from Scotland Yard I said "sod it" and withdrew my application for a license which was exactly what they wanted to hear in the first place. If you do persevere the laws associated with gun ownership are pretty draconian as well.

I also used to go bird hunting up in Scotland several times a year. Again, I always used a borrowed shotgun. And yet again I thought it would be nice if I owned my own so I went to Kensington Police Station to get the forms to apply for a shotgun license. The sergeant behind the desk basically told me not to waste my time because if I submitted an application he could guarantee that they would "misplace" it. That was back then. Things are even worse now.

Now you know why I appreciate this country so much and why I was proud to become an American citizen.
    Last edited by ETF; 11-26-2019 at 01:10 PM.
    DeltaBravoKS and taurustoter like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3443 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ETF View Post
    It's been almost 35-years since I left the UK. Laterly, I lived in London and was a member of the Kensington Rifle and Pistol Club. I always shot the club guns but by the time I got there they had been well used and pretty dirty so I decided that it would be better if I got my own .22 Anschutz rifle. And there began the saga. After the third visit to my home by two detectives from Scotland Yard I said "sod it" and withdrew my application for a license which was exactly what they wanted to hear in the first place. If you do persevere the laws associated with gun ownership are pretty draconian as well.

I also used to go bird hunting up in Scotland several times a year. Again, I always used a borrowed shotgun. And yet again I thought it would be nice if I owned my own so I went to Kensington Police Station to get the forms to apply for a shotgun license. The sergeant behind the desk basically told me not to waste my time because if I submitted an application he could guarantee that they would "misplace" it. That was back then. Things are even worse now.

Now you know why I appreciate this country so much and why I was proud to become an American citizen.
    Britain better hope no country tries to plan an invasion, like the Germans were trying to do with Operation Sea Lion. Defending one's home with pointy sticks, against people armed with guns, would be a losing battle.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

ETF
    Member #
    Liked
    2228 times
    Britain better hope no country tries to plan an invasion, like the Germans were trying to do with Operation Sea Lion. Defending one's home with pointy sticks, against people armed with guns, would be a losing battle.
    It almost was. My father was "called up" to serve in the British Army at the beginning of 1940. It was several months before he even got a rifle. They drilled and trained with broomsticks. That's how prepared the Brits were for armed conflict.
    taurustoter likes this.

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    219 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ETF View Post
    It almost was. My father was "called up" to serve in the British Army at the beginning of 1940. It was several months before he even got a rifle. They drilled and trained with broomsticks. That's how prepared the Brits were for armed conflict.
    Indeed that is exactly how it was. However, we British had two secret weapons which, when necessary, are still put to good use today.. Sarcasm and Irony.
    taurustoter likes this.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    3443 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxTom View Post
    Indeed that is exactly how it was. However, we British had two secret weapons which, when necessary, are still put to good use today.. Sarcasm and Irony.
    ...and a third. Dry humor.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    219 times
    ...and a third. Dry humor.
    You could say that... I couldn't possibly comment..
    taurustoter likes this.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    3443 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxTom View Post
    You could say that... I couldn't possibly comment..
    Aww man, you British are pretty good people...in my humble opinion. Pink Floyd said it best..."quiet desperation is the English way". The only problem you guys have, is your government thinking it needs to do all your thinking for you. It must be a "left over" from the days of Kings and Queens form of governing.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links