Two Nations.. divided by a common language.. But are we?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Two Nations.. divided by a common language.. But are we??

Member #
    Liked
    32800 times
    I don't hunt, but pretty much everyone I work with does. And from the way they talk, anyone who took 30 rounds on a hunt may as well tattoo "incompetent" across their forehead. A heart shot means exactly that. It's a craft, and they take pride in it.

As for customer service, my time living in Europe convinced me that in some ways, our customer service is second to none. Sure, you'll run into exceptions here, and Europe still has shops with focused product lines, and the people who work there view it as their career. But "the customer is always right" is NOT a concept Europe understands, by and large. I'll take American customer service.
    taurustoter likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    7828 times
    Never had to use all of what's in the gun hunting deer. If you have to blast away to put Bambi down, then maybe you need more range time and to learn to be more discriminating with your shot selection.

That being said, I carry the partial box with me. It goes in the lower right coat pocket because it's easier that way for me to keep track of it. I don't need that much ammo- but it's better to have and not need than need and not have.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    4921 times
    A number of years ago, I was in Oshkosh, Wisconsin for a aircraft woodworking class. Our instructor was British.

Once while fitting a piece of wood, the instructor seen me pull out my jackknife to trim the wood. He dashed over to me and loudly admonished me for having an illegally long knife and that the police could arrest me. I reminded him he wasn't in Great Britain and it was perfectly legal to use my 5" knife in the States. He continued his noisy rant with how long knives are dangerous weapons and should be illegal, besides no sensible person would want to carry them. The class broke out in laughter. I made another comment he didn't like and thankfully he ignored me during the rest of the day.
    taurustoter, ManxTom and RogueTS1 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6693 times
    Enjoyed your comparison of the 2 country's. The way our government is going (some parts anyway) they want to control how we can own guns. Speaking for my self I moved from a state that is more like your country (California). The libs are trying to make the whole country like California. Hope we beat the pants off them with the upcoming election next year.
    taurustoter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3547 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    I don't hunt, but pretty much everyone I work with does. And from the way they talk, anyone who took 30 rounds on a hunt may as well tattoo "incompetent" across their forehead. A heart shot means exactly that. It's a craft, and they take pride in it.

As for customer service, my time living in Europe convinced me that in some ways, our customer service is second to none. Sure, you'll run into exceptions here, and Europe still has shops with focused product lines, and the people who work there view it as their career. But "the customer is always right" is NOT a concept Europe understands, by and large. I'll take American customer service.
    My grandfather (father's father), used his Winchester Model 94 every year for deer season, and most every year he punched his tag. He started hunting before you needed to buy a hunting licence. Anyways, he only used 3 rounds of .30-30 ammo with him...one in the chamber and two more in his pocket. Old time dudes just rolled that way I guess.
    ManxTom likes this.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    334 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruntson View Post
    A number of years ago, I was in Oshkosh, Wisconsin for a aircraft woodworking class. Our instructor was British.

Once while fitting a piece of wood, the instructor seen me pull out my jackknife to trim the wood. He dashed over to me and loudly admonished me for having an illegally long knife and that the police could arrest me. I reminded him he wasn't in Great Britain and it was perfectly legal to use my 5" knife in the States. He continued his noisy rant with how long knives are dangerous weapons and should be illegal, besides no sensible person would want to carry them. The class broke out in laughter. I made another comment he didn't like and thankfully he ignored me during the rest of the day.
    Yeah.. we have an absurdly stupid regard for knives in GB. Just like firearms you need to have "good reason" to be carrying a knife (of any sort) with a blade longer than 3". And if you do have one on you and it just happens to have a liner lock or similar, you're in trouble because 'lock knives' can't be carried... unless you have "good reason". OK, so what's "good reason"? Well you could be going fishing or hunting, or you could be a carpenter.. if it's something you'd use in your daily work it's ok..BUT you'll have to justify it. Oh and DON'T walk in to your friendly local bar after work with it on your belt because you'll be breaking the law..!!

I actually emailed Tim Leatherman about five years ago asking if they could do a range of multitools WITHOUT locking blades. I emailed him on a Monday morning.. later that day I was in the garden and I swear I could hear gales of laughter coming from the West...!! They haven't responded.. I guess they are still laughing...

Now if you go anywhere else in Europe knives with locking blades are expected in the workplace as they are deemed less lethal than knives which don't lock.. It won't be long before carrying a rolled up newspaper will be considered as being 'armed'. As they say "When seconds count, the police are only 15 minutes away" (providing it's not a Friday or Saturday.. then it's more likely to be 30 minutes).

Oh and before I put my soapbox away someone please tell me why I get more respect for being an Army veteran in the USA than I do in my own country..!! I get discounts on all manner of stuff, I get "Are you a Vet? Come to the head of the line, Sir", I get "Thankyou for your service".. er I'm a British Army veteran.. "That's ok, you've served and you keep us all safe".

God Bless America..

PS: did you know you're National Anthem was written by a Mexican.... "Jose can you see...." LOL
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    32800 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxTom View Post
    Oh and before I put my soapbox away someone please tell me why I get more respect for being an Army veteran in the USA than I do in my own country..!! I get discounts on all manner of stuff, I get "Are you a Vet? Come to the head of the line, Sir", I get "Thankyou for your service".. er I'm a British Army veteran.. "That's ok, you've served and you keep us all safe".
    Hey, our boys have served alongside yours. My grandfather spent most of the war in London.

....besides, if any nation could make Army cooking look good...
    taurustoter likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    3547 times
    Yeah.. we have an absurdly stupid regard for knives in GB. Just like firearms you need to have "good reason" to be carrying a knife (of any sort) with a blade longer than 3". And if you do have one on you and it just happens to have a liner lock or similar, you're in trouble because 'lock knives' can't be carried... unless you have "good reason". OK, so what's "good reason"? Well you could be going fishing or hunting, or you could be a carpenter.. if it's something you'd use in your daily work it's ok..BUT you'll have to justify it. Oh and DON'T walk in to your friendly local bar after work with it on your belt because you'll be breaking the law..!!

I actually emailed Tim Leatherman about five years ago asking if they could do a range of multitools WITHOUT locking blades. I emailed him on a Monday morning.. later that day I was in the garden and I swear I could hear gales of laughter coming from the West...!! They haven't responded.. I guess they are still laughing...

Now if you go anywhere else in Europe knives with locking blades are expected in the workplace as they are deemed less lethal than knives which don't lock.. It won't be long before carrying a rolled up newspaper will be considered as being 'armed'. As they say "When seconds count, the police are only 15 minutes away" (providing it's not a Friday or Saturday.. then it's more likely to be 30 minutes).

God Bless America..

PS: did you know you're National Anthem was written by a Mexican.... "Jose can you see...." LOL
    You mean in Britain, they don't have any special considerations for British military veterans?
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    334 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taurustoter View Post
    You mean in Britain, they don't have any special considerations for British military veterans?

A couple of years ago a guy, a serving soldier, goes into a filling station. He's in uniform. The guy behind the counter promptly tells him to leave, that he's not going to be served. The guy told the soldier he didn't "want the likes of you" in the filling station.

Currently there's an inquiry going on into deaths in Northern Ireland in the 1970's. Soldiers face being prosecuted for their actions back then, actions carried out under orders and at the behest of the government of the day. I was there, three tours, in the '70's; for my trouble I was awarded a GSM (general service medal) and I added two clasps to that for a total of the three tours. I sent it back five years ago. I am disgusted with my government and the way they treat the military in general and vets in particular. I have one lapel badge I wear, just to signify my time served. It's small in actual size but it's huge in its significance.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    taurustoter likes this.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    3547 times

A couple of years ago a guy, a serving soldier, goes into a filling station. He's in uniform. The guy behind the counter promptly tells him to leave, that he's not going to be served. The guy told the soldier he didn't "want the likes of you" in the filling station.

Currently there's an inquiry going on into deaths in Northern Ireland in the 1970's. Soldiers face being prosecuted for their actions back then, actions carried out under orders and at the behest of the government of the day. I was there, three tours, in the '70's; for my trouble I was awarded a GSM (general service medal) and I added two clasps to that for a total of the three tours. I sent it back five years ago. I am disgusted with my government and the way they treat the military in general and vets in particular. I have one lapel badge I wear, just to signify my time served. It's small in actual size but it's huge in its significance.

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear about all that. It's not like that here, and if some gas station grease monkey told an American military person (especially in uniform) to get out, he'd probably get his pills kicked. During Vietnam there was some of that going on, but not before or now.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links