Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Diffrent countrys Cancer and Shooting

Member #
    Liked
    482 times

Diffrent countrys Cancer and Shooting

Ok all,
    You might have noticed I haven't been online for a while. Some of you know and some don't but my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. She fought the good fight but it came back. She was then diagnosed terminal and given 2 to 4 month to live. However hear we are 2 years later and she is still fighting. Its been very hard along the way, Personally I haven't spent that much time on forums or shooting as much as I did. As soon as my wife was classed as terminal the local police contacted us and basically terminated her firearms certificate. The choice was surrender all your guns and hand your permit over to the police or transfer your guns to your husband and surrender your permit. She opted to give them to me. However this got me thinking, How does it work in other countries? I mean if you get ill with something that's none mentally related are you treated in the same way? Do you have your hobbies, sports and rights stripped away? Somehow it just doesn't feel fair. My wife could have had 2 extra years going to the range meeting her friends, having a coffee and a chat and a shoot but that was just taken away in the swoop of a pen. Now she is too ill to go to the range as the cancer has spread and I feel guilty going so don't at the moment. The system is just plain wrong if you ask me. If you are ill through no fault of your own you get treated like a criminal or terrorist.

Member #
    Liked
    18287 times
    I'm sorry to hear of your wife's illness. Please pass on to her my admiration and encouragement for fighting the cancer and being alive. This, from a fellow patient (melanoma) whose cancer is inactive at this time. Give her a hug for me and tell her, "Well done; hang in there!"

As to having firearms seized upon being diagnosed with a life threatening illness in America...no, absolutely not! The Second Amendment to our Constitution makes no allowance for forfeiture when one is diagnosed with any medical problem. No certificate or permit is required to purchase and/or own a firearm. Our Founding Fathers determined that "keeping and bearing arms" is one of the inalienable rights granted by our Creator. The Second Amendment prohibits the government from denying its citizens that right, current liberal legislative and judicial efforts notwithstanding.
    God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave. - Stonewall Jackson

Member #
    Liked
    482 times
    Thank you I will. She hasn't been too well this week. I am hoping she has a better weekend. She's off for another CT on Monday as her collar bone has started crumbling, she had an xray but all they could decide was morphine. Its totally killing me seeing her this way. However I must remain string for her, its become my daily mantra
    Hoodypossible and Taurus1965 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    18939 times
    I'm so sorry to hear what the both of you are facing on a day to day challenge. She sounds like a very special lady for sure. I will keep the two of you in my prayers.

I don't agree with your governments view on confiscation of firearms based on a medical prognosis. But, then I'm sure that they feel that they are operating with in the better interest of others. I do like the fact of allowing the firearms to be transferred to a spouse of family member rather than to do a flat confiscation of the firearms.

But then the firearms are the least important issues in your life. Spend your time together, I know it would mean more to hold your hand than the butt of a pistol to her.
    In an effort to remain Politically, Socially and Humanly Correct: Please take everything I say with a grain of salt, understanding that I mean to NOT offend any individual, group, sect, affiliation, real or fictitious in nature.

Member #
    Liked
    4273 times
    I'm curious, do you know the reason behind this? What does the law say?
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Member #
    Liked
    29883 times
    First of all, I'm so sorry for what your wife and you are going through. God bless you both.

To answer your question, I'm reminded of a quote that "the government powerful enough to meet all your needs is also powerful enough to take away everything you have." Or words to that effect. What you've gone through has already been discussed in the US as a darn good reason to fight against government-provided/managed/inhibited health care.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    482 times
    Our law has nothing that covers that. The decision is based on what the local police force decide. However they always automatically revoke the permits of anyone who has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. The reasons they give is the possibility of depression, suicide or homicide. The real reason is they don't want to be held accountable if someone was to commit suicide or murder and they issued the permit. So with that they treat everyone like a lunatic or criminal. They wont even let me keep firearms in my home In a locked safe. I have to rent space at an RFD (US version FFL) . I was told I would be allowed them back and I quote " When its all over" I guess sensitivity isn't their strong point. Personally I would hand them all over today if it would make her ok, but it wont. It just seems strange that you would put a person who is already going through a lot in a position where you isolate them from their sports and hobbies when you know they are going die.

Member #
    Liked
    35178 times
    In Texas if you fall ill your firearms don't play into it at all.

I am sorry to hear about your wife, she is lucky to have you to take care of her.
    Hoodypossible likes this.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Supporting Member

Member #
    Between the Trinity and Brazos Rivers in the real Lonesome Dove.
    Liked
    9045 times
    So sorry to hear about your sweet bride. We will put her on the prayer list at our church. In the U.S., firearms are private property in most jurisdictions (there are some places where a permit is required to purchase and own firearms), but the majority of the U.S. doesn't require any sort of permit to own or purchase a firearm. The only weapons that must be registered with the Federal Government are automatic weapons, short-barreled rifles (barrel less than 16") and sawed-off shotguns (barrels less than 18"). If a person is terminally I'll, they may give the weapons to anyone who is not prohibited from ownership, put the arms up for sale on consignment at a dealer or will them to their surviving spouse. No permit is required.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." - Edmund Burke

Sand Lake 2014 TA Gathering
    Sand Lake 2016 TA Gathering
    Rapid City 2016 TA Gathering

Member #
    Liked
    4281 times
    My wife is a 17 year cancer survivor and never once have we ever been concerned about having our guns seized as a result of the diagnosis. God Bless America, the Constitution, and the 2nd Amendment. And may the fear of God be put into those who attempt to deprive one of their Rights simply because that person got sick.
    Hoodypossible likes this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spc - Mossberg Mav88 Pistol Grip - Mossberg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR - Henry Classic Lever H001 .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip Holster - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

Lifetime NRA / Tx LTC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links