Shooting .22 WMR / Mag - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Shooting .22 WMR / Mag

Member #
    Liked
    2901 times
    My RR is more accurate with the .22 WMR than the .22 LR ammo, and it's more fun to shoot with the WMR too.
    HappyTom and darbo like this.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    It has been a while since I shot my RR but my memory says the difference in recoil is pretty small.

It's weird...well ok I'm weird, but when I look at the .22wmr cartridge I just can't help but think it is the most wicked looking little cartridge out there! Especially something like the Hornady plastic tipped stuff!

I look forward to your report. Have fun!
    I totally agree, I bought some Federal Champion and it's certainly more of a pointed tip than the typical round nose
    darbo likes this.
    RYRYRYRY
    "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"

Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    Well, don't get too carried away. It's .22 magnum, not .357 magnum. Now, you want bang? Light off a hot .357 in my 2", 19 ounce 605 Poly. It's really not that bad on recoil, but it's loud and significantly more so than any .22 mag from any barrel.
    Before my injury, I shot a S&W .357 magnum revolver, had to lean in more, but no problems. Great to shoot.
    Last edited by HappyTom; 05-08-2019 at 07:39 PM.
    RYRYRYRY

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2578 times
    There is something in common here. While I don't own a Rough Rider, my 992 is more accurate with mags as well. It would be interesting to see if the bores are .223" or .224"? A .22 LR was designed for .222" and .223" max.

Maloy
    taurustoter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    I read online {it must be true} the barrel is bored for the 22wmr, the bullet diameter is a little larger, correct? If you did not get the combo you can get the cylinder later, one size fits all maybe a better explaination.
    HappyTom likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    I have a RR and a 992 and WMR cylinders for both. I also have a Henry Golden Boy in 22 WMR. The wheel guns are fun, especially at dusk when the big fireball gives me a giggle every time. My 22LR rimfires get most of the love though, just because of how inexpesive they are to plink with. And let's face it, If I need something with more "oomph", I've got other firearms that use more robust caliber cartridges. When I do get them out for target shooting, they both print a little high of POA compared to the 22LR cylinders. Of course the GB is sighted in for the WMR. Have fun and enjoy!
    HappyTom likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyboy65 View Post
    I read online {it must be true} the barrel is bored for the 22wmr, the bullet diameter is a little larger, correct? If you did not get the combo you can get the cylinder later, one size fits all maybe a better explanation.
    Yes, I did get it with only the .22LR cylinder, and there was a form inside the box, that I could get the .22WMR cylinder from the manufacturer. I actually was able to get it from ebay, as Heritage (Taurus) was out of them at the time. It's small bore, but yes it is big enough for the .22 WMR/Mag round.
    RYRYRYRY

Member #
    Liked
    844 times
    I found some .22 Mag cylinders for the Rough Rider,Name:  s-l400.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  28.1 KB but they look strange...maybe lighting or something? He has a few and only asking $28 each.Name:  s-l400.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  28.1 KB
    "She said her name was Emergency and asked to see my gun....said her telephone number was 911"

Member #
    Liked
    2706 times
    I have a Single Six and a Kel-Tec PMR 30. The recoil is the same on both but the PMR 30 weighs half as much and you have 24 more rounds before you have to reload.
    Hang together or Hang seperately

Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    The Single Six bore is sized to the slightly larger 22WMR, I would hazard a guess the Rough Rider is also.

I have three RR's, and two of them stay loaded with magnums for use as farm carry. The 22WMR fired through a handgun gives better ballistics than a 22LR fired from a rifle, in a much handier package.
    When I'm out working around the property, there is always the chance a rabid coon or fox will come out of the woodline. Very, very slim chance, but a chance.
    This is why I carry a RR loaded with magnums, my alternative is a 38 Special snubby and that is just a little much in my opinion.

The 3.5" birdshead fits perfectly in my back pocket, alternately the 4.75" fits in my front pocket.
    I prefer pocket carry, when cutting brush the debris won't get caught on a belt holster.

The best 22WMR ammo I have found is Winchester Super X 40 grain JSP. That also is very accurate in my Savage bolt action rifle as well.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: VFW, AMVETS, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links