The safety on the RR. Good? Bad? Ugly?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The safety on the RR. Good? Bad? Ugly?

Member #
    Liked
    42 times

The safety on the RR. Good? Bad? Ugly?

What do you think of having a safety on the RR cowboy gun?

I was originally worried about the inauthentic aspect of the RR having a safety lever like it does not to mention the inconvenience of it.

I got my first RR last fall and find it fun and relaxing to shoot. I get to concentrate on POA and let slide (pun?) the impacts (another pun?) of noise, recoil and cost of an outing of that with center-fire ammo.

Short version for me, and way before I had 500 rnds through it, I do not even notice it having a safety. Why? All my other guns have a safety and my habit/routine is to always use the safety every time I am not actually firing... even after I empty the cylinder or mag. I would have to stop and think (not that that is a bad thing) about not having a safety to flip or slide as I placed a gun down on the shooting bench. I blame this on my dad of course.
    Last edited by daveindenver; 04-16-2019 at 12:37 AM.
    kruizer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    763 times
    I've had my Rough Rider since 2013. I ignored the safety for several years and didn't even notice it. However, a few years ago, I dropped to gun on a concrete floor and it went off when it landed on the hammer. It went off and I had a minor wound to my stomach. Since that time, I use the safety if there is ammo in the gun because I fear I might do something stupid again. I find myself forgetting about the safety and find myself wondering why it doesn't shoot when I pull the trigger. My other revolvers have a transfer bar so they don't need a safety.

Member #
    Liked
    7168 times
    Since the gun's not drop safe, you have two options.

Use the safety or load 5 and lower the hammer on the empty chamber.

I've been shooting CAS since the '90's so load 1, skip 1, load 4 and lower the hammer with a single action is second nature. If it doesn't have a transfer bar safety system in it (like the Ruuuuugers or the EAA Bounty Hunters), I load 5 and the hammer is down on the empty.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30356 times
    Load one, skip one, load 4.....DROP SAFE! This procedure came about in the 19th century with single actions.

I don't like the "safety", but hey, it's a litigious society and they do what they have to do for the ignorant masses, or rather to protect themselves legally from the ignorant masses. It's a cheap gun. It wouldn't be quite so cheap if Heritage had to fight a bunch of lawsuits over people's lack of safety knowledge. Personally, I just leave the "safety" off and handle the gun as I always have with SAA style single actions.

I own Ruger Blackhawks. They're safe with 6 loaded, but they're a little more expensive than the Rough Rider.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    16272 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    Load one, skip one, load 4.....DROP SAFE! This procedure came about in the 19th century with single actions.

I don't like the "safety", but hey, it's a litigious society and they do what they have to do for the ignorant masses, or rather to protect themselves legally from the ignorant masses. It's a cheap gun. It wouldn't be quite so cheap if Heritage had to fight a bunch of lawsuits over people's lack of safety knowledge. Personally, I just leave the "safety" off and handle the gun as I always have with SAA style single actions.

I own Ruger Blackhawks. They're safe with 6 loaded, but they're a little more expensive than the Rough Rider.
    ^^^This^^^

(Except I don't own any Rugers. Well, except for the pseudo M1 Carbine 10/22.)
    daveindenver likes this.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.- George Bernard Shaw

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20792 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Since the gun's not drop safe, you have two options.

Use the safety or load 5 and lower the hammer on the empty chamber.

I've been shooting CAS since the '90's so load 1, skip 1, load 4 and lower the hammer with a single action is second nature. If it doesn't have a transfer bar safety system in it (like the Ruuuuugers or the EAA Bounty Hunters), I load 5 and the hammer is down on the empty.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    daveindenver likes this.
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31746 times
    I think the safety on the Rough Rider is probably a good thing, if that's what you like. I can't think of anything bad about it. I do think the safety is ugly, but that's probably because I'm not used to such a thing on revolvers.
    I have two single action Rugers, with the transfer bar. I also have two Ubertis, which I also load in the manner described above.

My nephew has a Rough Rider that he brings along anytime we shoot together, and I can say, it is a shooter!
    daveindenver and NativeTexan like this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    18975 times
    I think one big aspect of the RR is to use it to get new people/kids started with the shooting sports. For that reason I see the safety as a good thing.
    daveindenver and loudviking like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I feel like its mostly an anti lawsuit device that doubles as a drop safety personally. However even though i stink at putting it back on after I fire its always on when im in between shoots for sure, regardless if its loaded or not. Personally its out of the way enough I don't mind it being there whether or not i intend to use it.
    daveindenver likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15966 times
    Good? Bad? Ugly?

All of the above.

About the only time I use the RR is when I'm with my grandkids, and I always make it a point to use the safety.
    daveindenver likes this.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links