Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Range Report - Heritage Rough Rider

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  chefduane 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Finally got to shoot my new Heritage Rough Rider .22LR 4.75" barrel! I didn't know I could have this much fun with a little SA plinker .22! What a hoot, felt like I was playing cowboys and indians (can you still say that nowdays?) all over again but with a real gun. She shot fine and was pretty much spot in but a little to the left. Probably just me. I like the 4.75" barrel length and have a cowboy style holster on order. (OK, some fake ivory grips too.) I bought a 500ct box of the Thunderbolt .22LRs and they shot fine. I may decide to buy the .22WMR cylinder but for now the LR is just fine.

I started shooting my Ruger LCPII, then the G2, and finally the HRR. I got in some practice with the sliders and then moved to the HRR. I had a grin on my face when shooting it and a few guys came over to ask what it was and to look at it. I offered to let them shoot in and one guy took me up on it. He also was smiling and said he always wanted to get one but never came across a good buy. I let him know I got it from Whittaker Guns in KY for $119 NIB. With my $10 FFL transfer $129 total. I'm heading to the relatives in Knoxville at the end of Feb and intend to get out in the country with it. Yee-haw! New sheriff in town!!

#3 ·
I saw one at the gun show a couple weekends back. It was $120 in ,22LR or $150 for both .22LR and .22WMR. I was wondering about them in general.
I have a 1858 replica in blackpower and a cowboy holster that I like playing with....so MAYBE a future purchase.

#4 ·
Yes, its a budget cowboy SA for sure. Basically a copy of the Colt Navy (operates the same) but it also has a hammer block safety. Certainly not the quality of a Ruger Single Six or a Vaquero but also not near the price. Just a good fun gun for plinking and maybe basic firearm instruction for a young'un. I'm a kid at heart and just couldn't pass it up.

#11 ·
Got to shoot a friend's 6.5 inch Rough Rider recently. It was fun!:) You can even knock over steel plates with it, if you hit them close to the top. Didn't know you could buy the .22 LR now and get the .22 WMR cylinder later.

#12 ·
My brother and I got our father a Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22LR for his birthday last year and he loves it.

In my honest opinion, it's one of the finest handguns one can buy for under $150.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan
#13 ·
I've had and enjoyed mine for a few years. I bought the mag cylinder and used it once. I found it to be painfully loud and expensive. I can shoot my 9mm much cheaper and the cost is about the same as my 380 and 38 specials. I feel like the mag cylinder was a waste for me (it would not be if I didn't have the other calibers).

#14 ·
Yes, after shooting it some I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the LR cylinder. I just don't see the point of a .22 WMR for this gun. It's a plinker fun gun and if you need/want something more powerful go with a 380 or a 9mm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.