• 3 Post By 1942bull
  • 1 Post By Fredward
  • 1 Post By chefduane

Thread: Galloway precision guide rod

Member #
    Liked
    292 times

Galloway precision guide rod

I see a lot of PT111 G2 owners raving about Lakeline guide rods, just wondering if anyone has experience with these...

https://gallowayprecision.com/taurus...-and-pt111-g2/

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    596 times
    Before I decided a steel recoil assembly was not needed I did some research on the benefits of them. What I found was to things. First, unless you are using the gun for hours in extreme cold there is no reason to replace the polymer rod. I. Freezing cold for a long time it is possible that the rod will become brittle and snap. Keep in mind it is the spring not the rod that takes the shock of recoil. The rod just keeps the spring in alignment and is under little duress.

The second thing I found was on YouTube. It was a torture test of the Lakeline and Galloway recoil assemblies. The video showed the Gallway spring was slightly unseated after a lot of firing. I have no idea how many rounds were fired. The Lakeline assembly was not affected. what did that prove? Nothing.

Now consider that there YouTube reviews of the G2 and more rounds with the OEM recoil assembly working fine. My SW SD9VE had a plastic recoil rod. I shot at least 5000 rounds through that gun over six years. No problem with the rod or spring. So I am. Sticking with the OEM recoil assembly in my G2C. I prefer to keep my money in my bank account until I have a good reason to spend it.
    “The most important space on the battlefield is the six inches between your ears.”
    James Mattis , General USMC, Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    PMOS: 4641, Combat Photographer
    AMOS: 0311, Infantry Rifleman
    Worst day of my life: 6 Feb 1968, Hue City, Vietnam
    Best day of my life: Today, wherever I am

Member #
    Liked
    2064 times
    All of what you say about the guide rods is 100 percent true. Steel guide rods, however, are cool. it's a not very expensive way to sorta customize a gun that there's not a whole lot of accessories for. I say if you want it, go for it!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1473 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    Before I decided a steel recoil assembly was not needed I did some research on the benefits of them. What I found was to things. First, unless you are using the gun for hours in extreme cold there is no reason to replace the polymer rod. I. Freezing cold for a long time it is possible that the rod will become brittle and snap. Keep in mind it is the spring not the rod that takes the shock of recoil. The rod just keeps the spring in alignment and is under little duress.

The second thing I found was on YouTube. It was a torture test of the Lakeline and Galloway recoil assemblies. The video showed the Gallway spring was slightly unseated after a lot of firing. I have no idea how many rounds were fired. The Lakeline assembly was not affected. what did that prove? Nothing.

Now consider that there YouTube reviews of the G2 and more rounds with the OEM recoil assembly working fine. My SW SD9VE had a plastic recoil rod. I shot at least 5000 rounds through that gun over six years. No problem with the rod or spring. So I am. Sticking with the OEM recoil assembly in my G2C. I prefer to keep my money in my bank account until I have a good reason to spend it.
    I agree. I am sticking with my OEM guide rod especially since I had major problems with one of the guide rods you have mentioned.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31780 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Boheeber View Post
    I see a lot of PT111 G2 owners raving about Lakeline guide rods, just wondering if anyone has experience with these...

https://gallowayprecision.com/taurus...-and-pt111-g2/
    Both are sponsors here, so info and reviews should be easy to find.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    4533 times
    I have the Lakeline Recoil Assembly installed. It includes a stainless steel guide rod and a SS recoil spring. I also have the stainless striker guide. The striker guide change was made to eliminate the dreaded 'notchiness' of the trigger. Much smoother after the change. The Recoil Assembly was not to fix any issue, it was simply because, well, ya' know, I had to have a stainless guide rod and stainless spring because I simply had to have it. In my puny brain, stainless steel is better than anything not stainless steel.
    Danwin22 likes this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spc - Mossberg Mav88 Pistol Grip - Mossberg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever H001 .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip Holster - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Upon my own research about the factory guide rod and spring I came across the issue of the factory setup having the spring jump and lock up the slide. For me that is one reason to purchase the aftermarket unit. Having little bit of extra weight up front helps a little with recoil.
    I ordered the guide rod, sleeve and nite sites since they all enhance the operation a little and at the price of 86.00 its well worth it to have......
    M&P .357 sig full size
    M&P .357c
    M&P 9mm full size
    Millennium g2

Sponsored Links