Air Freight
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Flash60601
  • 4 Post By coopercdrkey

Thread: Air Freight

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Member #
    15888
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pure Apalachia (PA)
    Posts
    1,571
    Liked
    1325 times

    Air Freight

    In a little town in northern Alabama one afternoon, this old gent was staring into the sky at some really ominous black clouds building rapidly on the western horizon.

    A stranger in a big hat was standing beside him looking, too and said, "I don't like to say it, but those clouds look just exactly like some we had in Texas before the tornado struck."

    "Was it bad?" asked the old man.

    "Bad?" the Texan exclaimed. "Just how do you think I came to be here in Alabama, now."
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

    All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Member #
    20118
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,375
    Liked
    7348 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash60601 View Post
    In a little town in northern Alabama one afternoon, this old gent was staring into the sky at some really ominous black clouds building rapidly on the western horizon.

    A stranger in a big hat was standing beside him looking, too and said, "I don't like to say it, but those clouds look just exactly like some we had in Texas before the tornado struck."

    "Was it bad?" asked the old man.

    "Bad?" the Texan exclaimed. "Just how do you think I came to be here in Alabama, now."
    Black clouds on the western horizon just means that it's after 3pm in Alabama this time of year. The daily forecast of '20-30% chance of isolated showers, possibly severe, after 2pm' we get this time of year isn't a joke. It's the weatherman doing a little CYA. It WILL rain today, it's just not clear if it will rain where you are.

    During the winter, it just means it's Wednesday or whatever day it's decided to always rain on.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

    Gun Shui adviser

    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Member #
    58033
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Gatesville, Texas
    Posts
    1,342
    Liked
    736 times
    Excellent!

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Member #
    74079
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    MS Gulf Coast
    Posts
    552
    Liked
    668 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Black clouds on the western horizon just means that it's after 3pm in Alabama this time of year. The daily forecast of '20-30% chance of isolated showers, possibly severe, after 2pm' we get this time of year isn't a joke. It's the weatherman doing a little CYA. It WILL rain today, it's just not clear if it will rain where you are.

    During the winter, it just means it's Wednesday or whatever day it's decided to always rain on.
    Coastal sea breeze makes summertime squalls. The lighting is what makes them no joke. Yea, you can get a twister out of one or a flash flood in a low spot but you run for cover because of the booming.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Member #
    1335
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    15,005
    Liked
    6286 times
    I guess it could happen, maybe.

  7. #6
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    22823
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida's Nature Coast
    Posts
    8,006
    Liked
    10573 times
    What do an Alabama tornado and a Mississippi divorce have in common?

     
    Somebody's fixin' to lose a single wide
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "Actually that is a pistol in my pocket..... But I am glad to see you." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Member #
    20118
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,375
    Liked
    7348 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickthus View Post
    Coastal sea breeze makes summertime squalls. The lighting is what makes them no joke. Yea, you can get a twister out of one or a flash flood in a low spot but you run for cover because of the booming.
    I'm too far inland for coastal breezes but I get my fair share (and then some) of the humidity.

    I still think that the afternoon heat effect thunderstorms are just recycling rain.

    It rains hard for 30 minutes to an hour, it steams off (I mean that literally for those that haven't seen it. Seriously, the roads, sidewalks, parking lots,... steam after a storm) and keeps evaporating all night since it usually doesn't get below 80 until 2 or 3. By the next afternnon, the water vapor has hit critical mass and it rains again. Once the cycle starts, it continues all summer.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

    Gun Shui adviser

    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Member #
    15888
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pure Apalachia (PA)
    Posts
    1,571
    Liked
    1325 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    I'm too far inland for coastal breezes but I get my fair share (and then some) of the humidity.

    I still think that the afternoon heat effect thunderstorms are just recycling rain.

    It rains hard for 30 minutes to an hour, it steams off (I mean that literally for those that haven't seen it. Seriously, the roads, sidewalks, parking lots,... steam after a storm) and keeps evaporating all night since it usually doesn't get below 80 until 2 or 3. By the next afternnon, the water vapor has hit critical mass and it rains again. Once the cycle starts, it continues all summer.
    I spent one summer at Bainbridge, GA. Taking off, the runway looked like solid IFR, though the rest of the area and sky had some clouds, but was generally clear.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

    All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

 

 

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •