Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Small Ears

1K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  RichO 
#1 ·
So I keep seeing the smaller ear pieces that go inside your ears.

Now, I'm familiar with the simple foam style that are available just about anywhere. I wouldn't think those would be enough to use alone for ear protection.

I'm not familiar with the fancier in-the-ear plugs that look a little techy....some are cheap, some are REALLY expensive. Not sure what the difference is between the pricey from the not so pricey ones. Are those safe alone?

I have the big over the ear muff style...Think I might like an in-the-ear style, but I'm not sure if there are ratings or something I should be looking for.

What says you?

#3 ·
My husband snores. I can tell you the little squish-able ear plugs the sell at the pharmacies are pretty good. I will only use those when I am outdoors but I like to double up indoors. I have pretty sensitive hearing.

Personally I can't stand the wax plugs and I don't think they are as good. May consider some custom molded tetchy plugs in the future but the disposable foam plugs are serving me well right now.

#4 ·
They essentially serve the same purpose as muffs if you can get the technique down to keeping them in your ears. They provide a barrier to the louder noises. If you have small ear canals they may not stay in very well.

If you shoot long guns doubling up can give you added protection in case the gun pushes your muffs off your head or the ear that is next to the gun.

Reactions: Sekol
#6 · (Edited)
The new ones are being designed to allow you to hear normally when there is no gunfire but they are designed to block the higher decibels to protect your hearing. It is hard to get Soldiers to wear hearing protection on patrol and now you have 25 year olds with full hearing aids from IEDs and firefights. The new combat earplugs are the bees knees, though I still double up with them and ear muffs for any caliber over 7.62.

There are sizes for rubber in-the-ear style ear plugs, if you don't get the right size they either won't help or they will hurt your ears. The squishable foam ones are a good choice if you can't get your ears sized by a hearing doc. Plus they are cheap so you can leave them in your range bag, car, nightstand, etc. without going broke.

#7 ·
Those techy in the ear thingies are expensive and I had hoped that they would work, but sadly the smallest we could get were still too big for me and my husband, too. I use ear plugs and muffs, ones that are tapered at the bottom for rifle shooting;)

#8 ·
I have the big over the ear muff style...Think I might like an in-the-ear style, but I'm not sure if there are ratings or something I should be looking for.

What says you?
Look for noise reduction rating: NRR and a number, like this: NRR 22. Higher numbers are better than lower numbers. Try looking for 'ear protection" at Amazon. Just about all of the products listed will have this rating. (I also read the user reviews with great interest.)

A lot of people are telling you to double up, foam and ear "muffs". This is good advice. Tinnitus is no joke.

#9 ·
Wow! I feel like the muffs are doing fine indoors alone, but didn't even think about using foamies too. I had no idea so many of you double up inside, which is where we go.

#10 ·
Trust me people...losing your hearing is no joke!!!!! 20 years in a ships engine room, hearing protection was only thought about after I had been there 8 years. Shooting at schools in the 60's piece of cotton wool!
The only good side to hearing loss is..."Sorry dear, what did you say?"

#11 ·
I've doubled up inside before but usually I just wear one or the other.....the foam earplugs are so good that I've fallen asleep in them before with my grandson crying pretty loudly in the next room. :zzz:

#12 ·
I have a pair of custom molded silicone ear plugs the company provided through one of their safety programs. I had to go to hearing aid dispensing dealer to have them molded they have a cord to join them together so that you can take them out and let them hang around you neck when you don't need them. They work pretty well and they are cleanable.

#13 · (Edited)
I named this thread considering the size of foamies vs muffs and wanted to ditch the muffs for smaller ear protection. I really wasn't expecting so many use both. Now I'm considering if I should be doubling up, although I really don't like foamies. I had Bell's Palsy last year and my right ear is still a little weird at times.

#14 ·
Doubling up is the smart way to go. As mentioned in a previous post, look for decibel rating...higher the better. Keep your hearing.

#15 ·
I've doubled up from the start. I had one experience that took me back to earlier days as a Ramones fan. Been doubling up ever since and look for the highest DB block available. May look at electronics in the future but right now I feel well protected in the hearing dept. for a fair price!

#16 ·
I usually don't double up, although it is a good idea. Both my wife and I prefer the multi-flange type earplugs over the foam. I find that
not only do they work better for me, they are far more comfortable, easier to use, and last much longer. I can usually find the Peltors
for about $6 at Wally World.

View attachment 52144

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.