Gun-YES, Permit-YES, Bullets-Not so much... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Gun-YES, Permit-YES, Bullets-Not so much...

Member #
    Liked
    22850 times
    Congrats on the acquisition of your new firearm! Post a picture of it so we can all see, and we all share your sadness over the lack of ammo! We have a similar situation - DH and I shoot lots of 22lr and it's pretty darn scarce. DH has started to re-load the larger calibers - while your sweetie is recuperating buy him some reloading books and see if you can convince him to get into that! Of course, you could do it too, but at my house it's safer if DH re-loads and I cook - if we ever want to eat, that is!
    Spit happens, so make the most of everyday!
    "Never give up. Never surrender." Galaxy Quest, 1999
    Happiness is always Having Enough 22lr ammo!
    Now residing in God's Country - The Black Hills of South Dakota!

Member #
    Liked
    25803 times
    Shops with ranges usually have ammo to sell to range clients. Many will sell a limited quantity across the counter as well. ALSO check in at the shop where you bought the gun - if they don't have ammo they may have thought about who will! City or rural Washington??
    dfa24.7 likes this.
    If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
    .................................................. ...........................................
    Noam Chomsky

Member #
    Liked
    590 times
    I also suggest checking non box store locations. My LGS has had 9mm the last couple times I have been there but its 21.99/50 for federal 115 fmj. I am trying not to buy any unless I really need some as not to contribute to the price frenzy.
    dfa24.7 likes this.
    Taurus PT99 AF. Stainless
    Ruger 22 45
    Sig Sauer P938 emperor scorpion

You can't change the mind of someone who refuses to use it....... Me

If we rely on the government for our prosperity there will be no prosperity at all

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekol View Post
    kschilk - you NEED to make this your signature line!!

Agree!
    KIMMER

“We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – Ronald Reagan

“Any politician who won't trust you with the weapon of your choice, clearly cannot be trusted with the power he desires over your life.” -- -Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I appreciate all the suggestions. It's a bizarre situation for sure!

We've exhausted the box, non-box and local ranges as well as online. It just isn't happening. There was a gun show nearby in Puyallup last weekend, but dh worked and I'm not all that familiar with ammo specs. yet.

He told me I should be looking for 9MM Luger rounds, but I was on line and noticed there were some differences for those as well and I didn't know what that other specification meant. Oh well, I'll keep circling and hope for the best.
    KIMMER

“We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – Ronald Reagan

“Any politician who won't trust you with the weapon of your choice, clearly cannot be trusted with the power he desires over your life.” -- -Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Mingaa,

We're in a semi-rural part of the city, about midway between Tacoma and Seattle. There's folks with horses over here, while the city is right down the hill from us. Best of both worlds in it's own way.
    KIMMER

Member #
    Liked
    1718 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dfa24.7 View Post
    There was a gun show nearby in Puyallup last weekend, but dh worked and I'm not all that familiar with ammo specs. yet.

He told me I should be looking for 9MM Luger rounds, but I was on line and noticed there were some differences for those as well and I didn't know what that other specification meant. Oh well, I'll keep circling and hope for the best.
    If you have any specific questions, just post here and we'll do our best to help you learn.
    dfa24.7 likes this.
    PT140 | TCP738 | PT809 | M405 | PT840 | PT609 | PT845 | M65 | PT1911 |
    PT24/7 Pro C DS .45 | PT24/7 Pro OSS DS .40 | PT24/7 Pro DS .40 | PT24/7 Pro C DS .40
    Sand Lake 2015 | 2016 | 2017 [pending]

Member #
    Liked
    427 times
    Congratulations on choosing, quite possibly, the worst moment in History to join the fold! (Just kidding....sort of. )

Seriously, though, with some effort, SD loads are still relatively easy to find around here. (Although 9mm is tougher.) But, practice ammo is getting be less common than unicorns.

I agree with the suggestion that you watch your local, independent shops. The last pistol ammo I acquired was from a local shop that had a surprising amount at that moment, and it was (surprisingly, for me) actually cheaper than Academy for recognizable, brass-cased stuff. (I wound up buying 9x19, .40 S&W, .45 Auto, .357 Mag., and .44 Mag. It wasn't a cheap day...) Granted, from the hordes that were cycling through, I doubt the supply lasted the day, but it was there.

Point being: be patient, keep looking, and you'll eventually come across some. Good luck!

NOTE: I don't know about your area, but the last gun show I went to was a mad house. There were folks (either desperate, stupid, or both) towards the end paying well on towards $100 for a brick of .22 LR and, by the time it was done, there was little if any ammo of any type to be found. Prices were up across the board. Short story, I wouldn't expect to find deals there, but if you must buy there, get there the moment the doors open, on the first day, and be prepared to pay a premium!
    Last edited by parad0x177; 02-28-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Added gunshow note.
    dfa24.7 likes this.
    The Second Amendment: Protecting the Constitution and Freedom since 1791.

Member #
    Liked
    514 times
    I will say the wife and I enjoy shooting together....But she does realize the joy in the quiet without the kids and me....And I enjoy the same....It is our worry free time no one else, no bills, just her/me and the target sometimes even married couples need that degree of separation wheather its a day or just hours it frees the stress and anxiety.
    dfa24.7 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    427 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dfa24.7 View Post
    Sorry for the "novel", but hopefull it will clear up any confusion you have.

You are looking for any of the following: 9x19, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm NATO, or 9mm Luger. They are all the same thing. Now, 9mm NATO is slightly higher pressure than standard commercial stuff, but I can't think of a single pistol (in good condition) made for, say, at least 50 years that would have any noticeable problem with it.

Loads labeled as "+P" are commercial loads at higher than normal pressures, but it is still a recognized standard that should be safe in the vast majority of pistols, although it is higher pressure than even the NATO load and it is best to confirm with your pistol manufacturer that it is rated for +P use. You won't see this on plinking ammo, only SD loads.

Anything labeled "+P+" or something to that effect is loaded beyond recognized pressure standards for the cartridge and the specifications can and will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Chances are that it is still safe in most guns, but most (if not all) gun companies don't recommend them and, for me personally, I've never seen or read any verifiable benefit that warrants the extra wear on my guns and the extra recoil. You definitely won't see any plinking ammo loaded to these pressures and only a few SD loads that I can think of go this far.

Once all that is out of the way, the only (important) variables are bullet weight and type. FMJ, TMJ, or "Ball" (today) all refer to lead bullets encased in gilding metal jackets, hence "Full (or Total) Metal Jacket". These are going to be the default for factory loaded practice ammo. They are sometimes further classified by the shape of the tip; Round nose (RN), flat point (FP), or truncated cone (TC) are common. Hollow points are, just that, jacketed bullets with cavities (hollows) in the tip, that are designed to expand on impact. These are more expensive, generally, and are typically reserved for SD or "carry" ammo. There is lots of data and opinion about which ones are best, but generally, a quality "bonded" hollow point from a known manufacturer is good default.

As for weight: most 9x19 loads will be 115 grain (gr) or 124 gr and virtually all of your range ammo will be one or the other. (115 gr was the original weight for the cartridge while 124 gr is the current weight for NATO standard loads) Generally, pick the one closest to your chosen carry ammo in weight and velocity for practice. Right now, take what you can get. SD loads will go as high as 147gr and some boutique loads will go lower with "exotic" bullets. I generally recommend a good hollow point in either 115 gr or (preferably) 124 gr, at either standard or +P pressure (depending on the specific load, the shooter, and the pistol), however some folks swear by 147gr loads. (I don't personally like the ballistics on those, and they tend to offer the heaviest recoil but your mileage may vary.)
    dfa24.7, andreew and jwc007 like this.
    The Second Amendment: Protecting the Constitution and Freedom since 1791.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links