What do you look for in a range bag?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: What do you look for in a range bag?

Member #
    Liked
    35 times

What do you look for in a range bag?

I'm new to shooting, recently purchased a gun (Mil PT111 G2) and would like to find a nice range bag. While I realize it's mostly about personal choice, since I'm sure I won't think of everything I might want to consider, I'm looking to you folks for some advice.

My hubby got some of those ammo box things-and I'm not sure I like them. I'd love to have a range bag with a woman's touch, but I'm not finding much along those lines, and then I found a couple of tool box type things at Sears that might work, but still considering my options. Right now, only have the one little gun-but would like my bag to hold at least two--for future expanding possibilities-wink, wink!

Please share any favorite features, must-haves and/or any stories you have to go along with it. OR tell me about your non-traditional bag (something that wasn't made to be a range bag but works for you) and why you like it.
    Last edited by dfa24.7; 02-11-2013 at 07:19 PM.
    KIMMER

“We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – Ronald Reagan

“Any politician who won't trust you with the weapon of your choice, clearly cannot be trusted with the power he desires over your life.” -- -Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith

Member #
    Liked
    22807 times
    Kim,
    Gun bags are alot like handbags and purses. there's thousands of different onces and each has pros and cons. For an initial firearm bag, you can get a simple 1 or 2 pistol zip up gun bag. They sell them in Wally world for around 15-20 bucks. It's decent, holds upwards of 2 pistols and mags and is about the size of a clutch bag. Problem is there's not really room for ammo and color choices are kinda lame. I've seen black, camo and pink. from there you move into range bags. they will start around 25 bucks and go upwards of requiring a second mortgage. most are black, but Black is a good standard color and goes well with everything. All that said, it really depends on you shopping around and looking at individual bags. you will find one that works for your need and that will change as soon as you get used to it.
    dfa24.7 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8379 times
    I really don't see a need for a specialized bag for shooting. My 2 primary range bags are a simple, but very big, dufflebag and a cheap, medium sized day pack. If I'm shooting smokeless, I use the dufflebag. If I'm shooting black powder cartridge or cap and ball, I carry the backpack.

The backpack has several outside pockets, so I can carry- or separate, I don't like the idea of carrying percussion caps in the same area of a bag with the powder flask- all the stuff necessary to shoot and maintain my guns when shooting black powder.
    dfa24.7 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2829 times
    In my range bag I look for my pistols and ammunition. I always hope that I can find a tall swedish blonde in there but no luck yet..
    Wolf1477 and dfa24.7 like this.
    Hang together or Hang seperately

Member #
    Liked
    1727 times
    I used to use just a plain regular carry bag (just a simple bag with handles, single snap at the top or no closure (don't remember which), kind of like you'd carry groceries in), but then it became too small, and so I got one of those $20 black Winchester bags from Wal-Mart (note: the product image is misleading; it doesn't come with all that stuff, just the bag and the two pistol case thingies). It worked fine for a little bit, but then the SO and I got more guns, and wanted to carry more ammo with us to the range, and the Winchester bag just isn't up to carrying the heavy load for the two of us. So, we got one of those Plano plastic ammo boxes to put the ammo and the non-carry firearms into, and use the Winchester bag for eyes, ears, markers, tape, mini cleaning kit, balloons, etc.

Like the others have said, "range bags" can be small or large, and cheap or very pricey. It all comes down to what is right for you. The Winchester bags at Wal-Mart have a pocket on the inside on each of 2 sides, that have a folded padded thingy to put a handgun in, so basically it's designed for 2 guns, a bit of ammo, and your shooting accessories (eyes, ears, markers, tape, etc.). If you're looking for something affordable and that you can obtain locally, (rather than shopping online, paying shipping, and waiting days to receive it), then that bag might work for you. It's plain black, but I suppose you could think of it as an empty canvas, and personalize it with t-shirt paints, or maybe pins and keychains and whatnot, if you desire.
    dfa24.7 likes this.
    PT140 | TCP738 | PT809 | M405 | PT840 | PT609 | PT845 | M65 | PT1911 |
    PT24/7 Pro C DS .45 | PT24/7 Pro OSS DS .40 | PT24/7 Pro DS .40 | PT24/7 Pro C DS .40
    Sand Lake 2015 | 2016 | 2017 [pending]

Member #
    Liked
    3459 times
    I would suggest something with a little room in it. I like a bag that is large enough to put my small target package (8 x 10) on the bottom. I also will put two individual pistol cases in there so the guns do not bang together. I like to add ammo for each gun taking a couple different brands in case I have issues with one. Add in my eye and ear protection, some ear plugs, can of cleaner and some rags, set of small binoculars, and it is getting full about this time. I also put speed loaders in the outside zip up pockets along with any tools (small screwdrivers, allen wrenches, gun specific tool, etc. in there too. The outside pockets are a must as they keep you from digging around trying to find the smaller things that get lost in a large bag. I like the two handle bags and they need to be sturdy enought to handle the weight of all the stuff inside. If they have the wrap that keeps the two handles together and secured, all the better.
    dfa24.7 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    4258 times
    Compartments, places to keep guns, ammo, shooting glasses, ear protection, and basic tools seperated.
    dfa24.7 likes this.
    Why has the world gone to hell since John Wayne died?

Help save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered.

"If the federal government could control anything, I could probably listen to that gibberish, but when they do such a horrible job in controlling spending, borrowing, controlling illegal drugs and illegal aliens coming into this country while they give AK-47s to Mexican drug lords through Fast and Furious, I don’t see much hope in them even beginning to control guns."

Member #
    Liked
    20541 times
    It certainly doesn't have much in the way of a feminine look but this is the bag I use. It works great and sometimes is on sale for $5 less than this price. It easily holds 2 pistols and tons of other stuff. If that isn't enough they do have a larger model too.

MidwayUSA Compact Competition Range Bag
    dfa24.7 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    23330 times
    I use a smallish bag... GunMate Range Bag Nylon Black holds two guns and everything else, but it's full with ear muffs, ammo, stapler, mag loader, monocular. Durable bag and inexpensive. The main compartment is divided into three sections. One will hold all the ammo you're likely to shoot (400-500 rounds) One the ear muffs and rags and zip locks for brass. The third holds all the other accessories. There's two side pockets with removable padded inserts for the guns.

Amazon.com: pink range bag
    Last edited by glenwolde; 02-12-2013 at 07:14 AM.
    dfa24.7 likes this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    34 times

Re: What do you look for in a range bag?

I've got a softarmor, the small which is designed for 3 handguns it seems.

Each exterior pocket is padded with a folding and removable foam liner about 3/4 inch thick. And then right next to the handgun is a thin softer layer.

The large center section has held 500+ rounds, eye and ear protection, cleaning kit etc.

It has handles and a removable shoulder strap.

The soft armor site sells them for $45ish last time I checked but mine came from a local range.
    dfa24.7 likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links