Shot my first gun(s) today - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Shot my first gun(s) today

Member #
    Liked
    4743 times
    That is awesome! Congratulations, and welcome to the fascinating world of shooting sports!
    Also, congratulations on becoming more self sufficient in defending yourself, your family, and your home.
    Practice often, and be safe!

Member #
    Liked
    3458 times
    Congrats, and as stated, you are never to old.

Member #
    Liked
    17644 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Just got back from a local gun range where a neighbor guided me through my first shooting experience. He started me off on a .22 he brought in order to get me used to shooting (good idea!). My first shots all made it to the paper plate from about 15 feet, with a few even hitting the bulls eye. Then I switched to my own new purchase, a Tracker 627 .357 mag. I shot several rounds of .38's and then finally went to the "biggies" and shot some .357's. Accuracy was better on the lower caliber, but I still got all my shots on the target and most in the paper plate. Quite an experience. It gave me confidence that if I had to defend against a home invader (or a big cat out on the trail) I could stop the aggressor. I had been practicing my grip and stance based on videos from Masaad Ayoob and had been using a Laserlyte in dry firing to get a sense of whether my aim was on target. I know most of you have been shooting for years, but these were literally the first guns I've ever shot and at age 66 it feels like a big hurdle to have jumped. Next month I finally get to take a basic handgun course.
    Congrats on your first time! It was a big step and I'm glad you had a good (and safe) time doing it, and had someone who would take the time to help you.

Ok guys, very funny, bring back the Constitution now...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

"Ignorance and arrogance are a lethal combination. Nowhere do we see that more clearly among writers and performers who pontificate as historians when they know nothing about history." -- Victor Davis Hanson

"It's your life, rise up and live it" -- Terry Goodkind

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    300 times
    Congratulations Clark! This proves that it is never to late to become responsible for ones own safety, and the safety of their loved ones.

Welcome to the forum.

Member #
    Liked
    35178 times
    You have picked a fun new hobby. It sounds like you had a great first time out! Enjoy!
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    2460 times
    Its never too late to start protecting yourself and family. Just make sure you are responsibl. Be safe and practice as much as possible!
    Clark likes this.
    Gun control is like making it harder for sober people to own cars.
    ~Unknown

You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.
    ~Charles A. Beard

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20818 times
    Welcome to the shooting club! Be safe, have fun and may the "finding ammo gods" be with you....
    Clark likes this.
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Member #
    Liked
    1128 times
    nice going clark.
    ARMY NAM VET, so proud!

Taurus 24/7 g2 9mm
    Taurus 38 special

Taurus PT111 G2 9mm

Member #
    Liked
    223 times
    Congratulations on taking up the hobby. It sounds like you had a great day at the range.

As many have said, practice and training will help-both in accuracy and in your confidence to use the weapon if circumstances require it. The more "muscle memory" you build with practice, the less you will have to think if you need to use it.

Take care of it, and one day it may return the favor.
    Clark likes this.
    [A]ny time we question the schemes of the do-gooders, we are denounced as being opposed to their humanitarian goal. It seems impossible to legitimately debate their solutions with the assumption that all of us share the desire to help those less fortunate. They tell us we are always against, never for anything. Well, it isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so.
    -A Time for Choosing (Ronald Reagan, 1964-10-27)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links