Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Gun Show Treasures?

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Lommerse33 
#1 ·
Does such a thing exist anymore? Part of what I like about Taurus is being part of the "non-mainstream". I like to have things that not everyone has or seeks out. So while I'm at a small gun show this weekend, what do the members here think I should be on the lookout for? What would you all be looking for? I'm not interested in a "tool to efficiently do a particular job", but something that's fun, unique and a conversation piece. Something that might be fun to show off and say to my shooting friends and relatives, "Hey, you have to see what I found!"

I have a developing interest in pistol caliber rifles. I have growing interest in full sized revolvers. I currently don't own anything that could be considered a military-style or law enforcement rifle or shotgun. These are the categories that would peak my interest. Thoughts?

#2 ·
OK - here is my suggestion. Seek out one of Hi-Point's carbine rifles. They come in 9MM, .40 and .45 cal. Their tactical line is pretty cool looking and they are a hoot to shoot. They fill your request for "non-mainstream", they are fun, unique, and they are pistol caliber rifles. They carry a life time warranty and are made in Ohio. You can find them around $250 - $350 depending on caliber and options like red-dot optics, scopes, forward grip, etc. They are also hard to find as they usually sell out pretty quickly.

#9 ·
OK - here is my suggestion. Seek out one of Hi-Point's carbine rifles. They come in 9MM, .40 and .45 cal. Their tactical line is pretty cool looking and they are a hoot to shoot. They fill your request for "non-mainstream", they are fun, unique, and they are pistol caliber rifles. They carry a life time warranty and are made in Ohio. You can find them around $250 - $350 depending on caliber and options like red-dot optics, scopes, forward grip, etc. They are also hard to find as they usually sell out pretty quickly.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. I bought an AR last month so I took care of scratching that itch but would go for a .45ACP carbine in a heartbeat to complement the three .45ACP handguns that I already have.

Reactions: darbo
#3 ·
Great thought HD-Mike! I'm taking notes, for sure

#5 ·
I like to watch for someone bringing a gun in with them, you can usually get a much better deal from them than a dealer. The parking lot is frequently the best place to get a deal.

Reactions: RichO and Lance0812
#6 ·
I've made a list of things I'll be looking for and here it is...
Something in .17 HMR - Because, like me, it's a little different
A .22 pistol - Because I don't have one and I should
A Hi-cap shotgun - Because my 20 ga field gun is a little long for home defense
Concealed carry gear for my wife and maybe an easy shooting revolver (.327??) - Because she's taking her class this Sat.
A pistol caliber rifle - Because they sound fun!
Some pocket-sized upgrade to my P3AT - Because I'm not crazy about it anymore (it may go with as trade bait)

Thoughts from the wise members of TA?

#7 ·
For some reason, every time I go to a show, I always end up looking at derringers. I have no need for one, but they are cool
and can usually be had fairly inexpensively.

#8 ·
RichO - A family friend recently showed me a very cool derringer chambered in .45 LC. That could be fun to look out for. Good tip!

#10 · (Edited)
I think the Hi Point carbines sound good.

Around here, classic S&W revolvers come and go in cycles. They had been dry up until very recently. I've found that gun show guys tend to be very proud of the vintage name brand stuff they sell, but I did buy an old pre-model 10 at a gun show at a reasonable price. It has a 2 inch barrel, is all original, dates from the late 40's and is right out of an old Raymond Chandler noir story. This may be some people's idea of main stream, but I don't see many like it in this configuration.

Around here, however, "gun show" and "bargain" aren't usually used in the same sentence.

#12 ·
Well, money is ALWAYS an object... but I would like a Kahr at some point... I like their looks and the DAO trigger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.