Legally make your own guns!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Legally make your own guns!

Member #
    Liked
    32 times

Legally make your own guns!

Has anyone built their own guns? or more specifically the "build your own gun" kits like the ones Ares Armor sells? I thought it seemed like it would be a fun project. Has anyone done this or something similar? I don't have any large machining tools (just have a few basic hand tools) or much room for them so that was a major issue for me. How much machining is required for them? Any other input is always appreciated.

Ares Armor Tactical Gear
    john_bud likes this.
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f**k with me, I'll kill you all."
    —Gen. James Mattis

Member #
    Liked
    1927 times
    At that price I think I would just buy one or instead build an AK47.
    Wealth is earned by the penny but squandered by the dollar.

Never criticize a dumb question because you've probably asked your fair share. But more important to remember, it's much easier to correct a dumb question than it is to correct a dumb mistake.

Other people’s opinions are not a substitute for thought.

People won't remember what you say and people won't remember what you do. What people will remember is how you made them feel.

Member #
    Liked
    2722 times
    I've looked at them, and 80% kits, but just not feasible for me at this time. No access to proper tools, nor space to work. However, I would luv to, once I get the time, space and extra funds to invest in the set up. Same goes for reloading ammo.
    Native Floridian by birth, TEXAN by choice, Conservative by God and education.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45472 times
    I built a Colt Navy replica in .36 caliber some 30 years ago. It looked something like this one.

Name:  Colt Navy kit.jpg
Views: 2781
Size:  46.6 KB
    chicharrones likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7199 times
    Black powder cheater!
    aquajim likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45472 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chicharrones View Post
    Black powder cheater!
    Push come to shove I can make my own propellant!
    chicharrones likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7199 times
    The cool thing is those revolvers come with their own reloading equipment. No bench necessary.
    Southern4x4 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    4408 times
    Go to homegunsmith.com for a site that has from simple to complex builds. There are simple builds with single shots to complex guns. I do not visit the site very often because I have not built anything in a few years. For what it would cost to buy the 80% frame kit you are looking at you can buy a finished gun. To me that is not a good deal. I would start with something simple and work up. For an AR build shop around for parts and check prices. 80% frames can require some detail finish work. There are a lot of home built projects that can be built with hand tools. Most require a lot of old fashion work.
    Last edited by TheOldRedneck; 10-26-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: fix what phone had fixed
    GunsandNoses and whichfinger like this.

Member #
    Liked
    572 times
    I don't see the point of buying an 80% firearm for full firearm price. <shrug>

Edited to add: unless the point was no traceable paperwork whatsoever. Maybe it's worth it.
    GunsandNoses likes this.
    If you want the money out of politics take the power out of government.

Member #
    Liked
    2722 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Reeser View Post
    I don't see the point of buying an 80% firearm for full firearm price. <shrug>

Edited to add: unless the point was no traceable paperwork whatsoever. Maybe it's worth it.
    Yep, that is pretty much what you are paying for, and the satisfaction of saying "YES, I DID BUILD THIS!".
    Otherwise, it's probably easier, and cheaper to find a good used FTF deal.
    Native Floridian by birth, TEXAN by choice, Conservative by God and education.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links