Too many guns negatively impacting on proficiency? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Too many guns negatively impacting on proficiency?

Member #
    Liked
    2606 times
    I think you have made a good point. I'm definitely a better shot with fewer guns.
    I have had a locker full of handguns for years. I never was a crack shot with any of them- except way, way back with a couple sa revolvers when my eyes and hands were young.
    But.......since this past Christmas I have sold a bunch of guns- mostly 40's and 45's.I bought 3. I am now down to 5 handguns- and 4 of them have very similar controls -da/sa and de-cocker safety. I can shoot much better today than I could last year. With 2 of these guns I can stay right around the bulls eye at 10 yards. For me thats excellent. With the other 3 I can do pretty well.
    My goal is to have a carry gun, hd gun, and road (car) gun that all operate the same, and feel similar.
    Problem is that its hard to find a big gun and a little gun that are just alike:
    Taurus makes the 809 and 809C.
    Beretta makes the 92 and 84 (different safety and 9mm/380).
    CZ makes the 75, 75C, and 75 Rami.
    Bersa makes the Thunder HC and UC.
    its a real hunt.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46805 times
    I guess it would come down to how proficient you want to be; personally I am happy with being able to hit an 8” plate at 25 yards with all my handguns. Yes I practice with my carry gun the most; however I want my range trips to be fun. I shoot no less then 4 different handguns when I go to the range. For me shooting is fun not a competition. If I were to start competing I would probably limit my self to one handgun to become the best I could be.
    Wino likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    9416 times
    I quit playing golf years ago when it became an obsession to gain perfection rather than an enjoyable pastime. I'll do the same with pistol shooting unless training for a new version of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. All the weapons I own are for SD - and I'm proficient in that goal - nothing else really matters. As mentioned earlier, as with any game of skill, from billiards to shooting, it's the shooter, not the tool. My handgun instructor (refresher course) took my PT24/7 (which he had never fired before) with 10 loaded mag at 7 yards rapid fire had a group of about 2" - I was impressed with him, he was impressed with the PT24/7. I doubt I will ever be that proficient and won't lose any sleep over it.

I usually take three weapons to range - some times four. They all usually get some exercise. I know they function as they should - I have an enjoyable time at the range - mission accomplished - I go home and clean my weapons and prepare for the next trip.

Do I shoot some better than others - absolutely.
    Last edited by Wino; 06-26-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    (1) PT709 SS; (1) PT709FS; PT740 SS; PT140B Mil G2 Rec'd. 2/16/16; PT140 SS G2 Rec'd 9/14/16; PT111 SS Mil Pro Repaired Rec'd. 9/9/16
    PT24/7 PRO DS SS 9mm; PT24/7 Blk. CA .40S&W; PT24/7 PRO LS DS SS .40S&W; Remington R51 G2 9MM
    PT92B-AF; PT92-AFS Tu-Tone; PT99B-AF; PT99-AFS; (2) PT100AFS; TRACKER M992B - 6.5" ;.M992SS - 4" .22LR/.22Mag; M17SS - 6.5" .17HMR
    S&W SD9VE SS; Sigma SW9VE SS; SD40VE SS; Sigma SW40VE SS; M&P40C Blk. SS; (1)TISAS Zigana Sport Two-Tone and (1) all Black; Texas CHL

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2606 times
    Oh yes- I would be happy to hit a 8" plate at 25 yards. I can probably do that with 2 of my guns. And yes- just plain shooting is fun. I can not resist to just keep pulling the trigger, faster. My biggest determent to good shooting is fun shooting.

Member #
    Liked
    16491 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance0812 View Post
    You've opened a big can of worms here.
    It's true that practice makes perfect and that shooting only one gun should (on paper) eventually allow you to shoot 'Expert' with that gun; whereas diluting your practice by introducing multiple guns into a range session is more likely to make you a 'jack of all trades, master of none.'
    But that conclusion is arrived at only intellectually.
    The real world is different.
    If you study movies like "Faster" and "Mr. & Mrs. Smith", you'll soon note that professional assassins own large arsenals and are proficient with everything in that arsenal.
    Ergo...
    O_o wut

Would have been 9/10 but not enough bites.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.- George Bernard Shaw

Member #
    Liked
    471 times
    Broad question with broad answers. I am trained better for combat the 99% of the world. I can pick up just about any weapon I would likely find on the battlefield and make it fire rounds assuming it isn't broken. I am by no means a master with any weapon, there is ALWAYS room for improvement and even more room for error. Knowing a weapon, using a weapon and mastering a weapon are 3 very thin lines. I can hit targets from 0' to 3000' given the right tool for the job. I excel at mid range shooting with my AR and my M4 and M249 while in the military. Now a days though I have to buy my own training ammo and while I probably shoot more than most I in no way put nearly as many rounds down range as I did while in the service. With that said, I am confident with my abilities and feel that I can hit my target with just about anything I am using, given it is a reasonable, makeable shot within the boundaries of the rounds range.

Only perfect practice makes perfect, crappy practice only makes crap.
    brojohn likes this.

The only easy day, was yesterday!

GUNS: My right to own them is what protects your right to express that I can't.
    Join the NRA today!
    M1911A1: The original point and click application.

Member #
    Liked
    4010 times
    I agree the question was a "little too broad" but you guys are smart enough that you provided some terrific answers. I was trying to get at the skills needed for real self-defense/mortal combat encounters. I think most of the posts so far got that. Looking forward to others who will post to see what they have got to say.

Stay safe and train well.

Member #
    Liked
    4010 times
    Quote Originally Posted by brojohn View Post
    I think you have made a good point. I'm definitely a better shot with fewer guns.
    I have had a locker full of handguns for years. I never was a crack shot with any of them- except way, way back with a couple sa revolvers when my eyes and hands were young.
    But.......since this past Christmas I have sold a bunch of guns- mostly 40's and 45's.I bought 3. I am now down to 5 handguns- and 4 of them have very similar controls -da/sa and de-cocker safety. I can shoot much better today than I could last year. With 2 of these guns I can stay right around the bulls eye at 10 yards. For me thats excellent. With the other 3 I can do pretty well.
    My goal is to have a carry gun, hd gun, and road (car) gun that all operate the same, and feel similar.
    Problem is that its hard to find a big gun and a little gun that are just alike:
    Taurus makes the 809 and 809C.
    Beretta makes the 92 and 84 (different safety and 9mm/380).
    CZ makes the 75, 75C, and 75 Rami.
    Bersa makes the Thunder HC and UC.
    its a real hunt.
    Don't forget the Glocks...they have a tremendous platform range in all the major calibers. I too am thinking about - the carry, hd and the road car gun. I think the compact or subcompact models can perform all three tasks but I am caught between admiring the longer barrels of some of other models I don't have (I have the 23 and 27 - 40 caliber).

SUPER MODERATOR EMERITUS With Us Always 1953-2012
    Member #
    Body in El Paso - heart and soul in Marshall, Texas
    Liked
    824 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MOONDAWG View Post
    ... Shooting is a perishable skill; ignore the basics and pay the price...
    Shooting is not a perishable skill. Handgun shooting is a perishable skill. Rifle or shotgun shooting doesn't require the same degree of practice.
    "Failure is always an option" - Adam Savage (Mythbusters)
    Nikita K. made the prediction. Barry O. is working to make it come true. - BUTT
    "The secret of life is to solve more problems than you create." - BUTT
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Member #
    Liked
    12325 times
    At one point I had 26 handguns, and I shot them all. Didn't really have a problem with any of them, but they were all properly setup. As in they were reliable and the sights were adjusted properly. Triggers were a little different, but not enough to make a huge difference. There were a couple I shot better than the rest, but that had more to do with the ammo than anything.

What will get you in trouble is different controls on handguns, or weapons with improperly adjusted sights. Start fumbling for a thumb safety on a weapon that doesn't have one, or forget to thumb one on a weapon that does and it could be the end of the story. Subsequently I favor weapons with the same kinds of controls, and preferably in the same places. I also subscribe to Hickok45's theory - shoot 'em all, but shoot your EDC last just to keep things fresh in your mind - and hopefully your fingers. And as far as sights are concerned - if you have to take Kentucky windage to hit your targets, your exact point of aim can be hard to remember if you haven't shot the weapon in a while. Which is why I take the time to get my sights properly adjusted - then I know they all shoot to the same poa.

The biggest problem I had with an extensive collection was that there were three or four that I shot a LOT. The others spent most of their time in gun rugs except for the couple times a year they went to the range. And on the times I shot a lot of pistols, I also had a lot of cleaning to do when I got home. These days I limit myself to two 45's and two 9mm's - long and short barrels in each. I don't buy them to get them out and play with them periodically - they're tools that were purchased for specific 'jobs' and I treat them that way. And I shoot them all enough that I could pick up anyone of them (should the need arise) and put lead on target.
    Last edited by dbeardslee; 06-26-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    Wino likes this.
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links