PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, keep your guns secure!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, keep your guns secure!

Member #
    Liked
    1234 times

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, keep your guns secure! << UPDATED >>

For the third time this month in western Washington, a small child has been shot because they gained unsupervised access to an unsecured gun.

1. Assault charges filed against boy's mom, her boyfriend in school shooting | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News
    UPDATE: Mother Accused in Bremerton School Shootng Arrested

2. Police officer's daughter dies of injuries from accidental shooting | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

3. Boy, 3, kills himself with gun found in family's car | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News
    UPDATE: Shooting victim's mother: 'I just want my baby back' | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News
    Manslaughter charges are being considered against the mother's boyfriend.
    Considering the circumstances as they are known now, I see no other relevant charge. As stated in the update article, Washington State law is specific when is comes to loaded handguns in vehicles... intended to prevent exactly this very thing from happening.

I cannot for the life of me fathom WHY he took off the gun and put it under his seat to go out and pump gas! He has some 'splaining to do.

Common theme in all of these, besides the gross negligence of the gun owners in question, is the fact that all three cases involve access to the firearm in a vehicle.

>> UPDATE 3/28: Adults plead not guilty in 3-year-old boy's shooting death | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News
    Lots of information here. Vita had a CPL at the time, yet he removed the gun.

"Vita has a concealed pistol license and Gehrke said store clerks had previously become alarmed when they saw him with his holstered gun, so this time he decided to leave it behind. "

Why did he not just conceal it? No cover garment? Many questions for them to sort out.

I can foresee strict gun storage laws coming to this state in the not-too-distant future.

Little children are curious by nature. Let us not forget that.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Three Percent; 03-28-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Added 2nd update to 3rd incident
    IDLE, Smokewagon, TimmiT and 1 others like this.
    What's in your kernel?

Member #
    Liked
    1300 times
    Mine are all in my safe or small lock boxes, and I don't have kids.
    91 whiskey likes this.
    It's a trick... Get an axe...

Member #
    Liked
    1746 times
    Yep, mine are always in the safe too. The sad thing is, many who own, purchase, or illegally obtain firearms aren't qualified to own them. As much as I have disdain for more government meddling, I truly do believe that an instruction course should be taken before leaving with your firearm. We do it with CC, so why not purchases as well? Better yet, even though they would never do it, how about a mandatory NRA safety course in all high schools?
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46621 times
    If it is not on me, or being used by me they are locked up. I don't have a gun safe at the time so they are trigger locked or cable locked and then in a locked case. The locked case is stored in a locked room. All ammo is stored in a locked shed/Relaoding room. Might be over kill, however as Three Percent said: "Little children are curious by nature." My kids all understand Firearm Safety, I just don't need one of the kids friends finding a gun and not knowing any better. This goes for teenagers as well.
    bre346 likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    471 times
    I just don't undestand some people. Even the so called professional police officer. Sure it is a tragedy that his son shot his daughter. My question is why would he leave a loaded gun in the car with his children? A coworker said to me that the man had suffered enough loss already. I disagree, negligence charges at the very least should be filed against him, and I don't give a rats ass if he loses his job or not. I just know if he is that careless with his own chldren, I wouldn't want to depend on him for my safety.
    The first story with the felons habing weapons just goes to show that our laws aren't working. We say " hey your a felon, you can no longer have a gun." It has ee proven to not work, if someone, anyone wants a gun they can get it, and cheap at that. These 2 should get the maximum at te very least.
    And the other story, same thing, careless, untrained and ignorant. Again negligence at the very least.
    Here in NC you have to sign a paper at time of purchase regarding rules, laws and regulations concerning child access to weapons. Penalties are stiff, and the laws are not unreasonable. They don't just pertain to your own minors either but any minor. They also cover you in the event of a break in or if the child say breaks the lock and forcifully gains access to te weapon.
    Unless my weapon is on my side or in arms reach it is never left anywhere either of my children could access them. They kow where ine, moms and theirs are kept. I trust my children wholly, but curiosity is a bitch. My children are fully aware of how to operate, clean ad aitain our weapons. They are proficient with their weapons. Even if I give tem direct permission to go in the box. or safe and retrieve a ceetain weapon, either cabled or trigger locked they will hesitate and double check.
    I guess maybe I am a safety freak, or maybe I am paranoid, but caring for children is more than feeding them ad sending them to school. It includes training them with responsibility and safety, showing them how to show respect for not only others but their tools ppssesions and weapons as well. To leave a child unattended with a loaded gun is asking them to commit murder or suicide, maybe not this time but curiosity will get the best of them
    Three Percent and sandman 11 like this.

The only easy day, was yesterday!

GUNS: My right to own them is what protects your right to express that I can't.
    Join the NRA today!
    M1911A1: The original point and click application.

Member #
    Liked
    471 times
    Sorry for errors typing on my phone is a chore, i have large finger and a small screen.
    TheOldRedneck likes this.

Join the NRA today!

Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    No children at home, won't let my grandchildren on my property period. Dangerous outfit across the road rents out space for the poor to store their vehicles and lots of roudys drive by my place eyeing up my FJ Cruiser, etc. Have to have very quick access to my guns at all times, have two guns in almost every room, and out building.

Member #
    Liked
    471 times
    Quote Originally Posted by roy2 View Post
    No children at home, won't let my grandchildren on my property period. Dangerous outfit across the road rents out space for the poor to store their vehicles and lots of roudys drive by my place eyeing up my FJ Cruiser, etc. Have to have very quick access to my guns at all times, have two guns in almost every room, and out building.
    That sucks not being able to have your grandkids over because of riff raff. But, at least you are wise enoigh to know the danhers and recognize yoir responsibilities to protect your belongings and do it safely.

Join the NRA today!

Member #
    Liked
    35208 times
    I guess I'm different. I grew up in a very well armed house, my neighbors, whos kids I played with, were very well armed, my grandparents.... and never once had any incident.

When kids are very small, I agree you need to keep them out of rooms, locked doors and constant supervision, and when they are older they need to know better. Firearms are no different than light sockets or house hold cleaning chemicals, bath tubs, power tools... People need to supervise their kids... Just my opinion.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8351 times
    I normally have one on which is secure from my grandson. And one put in a position that he cannot access all others are in the safe. As he grows the second gun will become more secure. The gun that is placed in a spot is hard for a adult to get to and impossible for a child. I feel secure in there locations and my night gun is in a quick open safe.
    IDLE and MilProGuy like this.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links