PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, keep your guns secure! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, keep your guns secure!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I turned one small closed to a locked room and keep my guns unloaded there. It has a hi shelf so I guess is good for now, my kids are 1 and 3 years old!

Member #
    Liked
    966 times
    Don't know how I survived. Grew up in a house with ready to go firearms. I did not know that any house did not have a Model 12 loaded and ready in the closet or a 1911 in that tall chiffarobe top drawer. I seem to remember something about respecting rules and limits or getting your butt swatted.
    War is God's way of teaching American people geography. .... Ambrose Bierce

NRA & Texas State Rifle Association Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    35212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cws_dallas View Post
    Don't know how I survived. Grew up in a house with ready to go firearms. I did not know that any house did not have a Model 12 loaded and ready in the closet or a 1911 in that tall chiffarobe top drawer. I seem to remember something about respecting rules and limits or getting your butt swatted.
    Did we have the same parents?
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16696 times
    My dog doesn't have thumbs.
    sandman 11 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    33304 times
    The hard thing about practicing good firearms security is that we get into a routine that we follow religiously. That's a good thing ........... to a point. But, after a while we get over confident or complacent thinking that were are secure when perhaps we are not. Every now and then it's a good idea to run an inventory and an ammo check. Pull all yuor guns from the safe and their hiding places, check them over, unload them, reload them, put the safeties on, lock the ones you're storing, and check them against an inventory sheet to make sure that you know where every gun you own is! The life you save by doing this just might be your daughters, or your sons, or one of your grand kids! You owe it to yourself to keep them safe!
    ozzy and IDLE like this.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    471 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    I guess I'm different. I grew up in a very well armed house, my neighbors, whos kids I played with, were very well armed, my grandparents.... and never once had any incident.

When kids are very small, I agree you need to keep them out of rooms, locked doors and constant supervision, and when they are older they need to know better. Firearms are no different than light sockets or house hold cleaning chemicals, bath tubs, power tools... People need to supervise their kids... Just my opinion.
    +1 on this. My upbringing was the same. We had 1911's and other various rifles and shotguns everywhere. Loaded and ready to go. I was an only child and wouldn't dare touch without permission, and that meant supervision.

Quote Originally Posted by 45 Forever View Post
    I normally have one on which is secure from my grandson. And one put in a position that he cannot access all others are in the safe. As he grows the second gun will become more secure. The gun that is placed in a spot is hard for a adult to get to and impossible for a child. I feel secure in there locations and my night gun is in a quick open safe.
    Thats all that is required, a denial of access.

Quote Originally Posted by PointAndShoot View Post
    I turned one small closed to a locked room and keep my guns unloaded there. It has a hi shelf so I guess is good for now, my kids are 1 and 3 years old!
    Mine are 5 and 8. As they get older you will need more secure storage. But, consistency with the firearms and teaching safety is paramount.

Quote Originally Posted by cws_dallas View Post
    I am a firm believer in a good ass whoopin when it is deserved. Most kids these days dont know what an ass whoopin is, let alone ever heard the phrase "go get your self the switch you want to get whipped with." My grandpa told me that twice, after that I didn't get out of line. My daddy would just bust my ass with the old leather belt. That happened alot, but NEVER for messing with the guns.

The only easy day, was yesterday!

GUNS: My right to own them is what protects your right to express that I can't.
    Join the NRA today!
    M1911A1: The original point and click application.

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IDLE View Post
    Most kids these days dont know what an ass whoopin is, let alone ever heard the phrase "go get your self the switch you want to get whipped with."
    I learned my lesson the first time when I brought in the thinnest switch I could find. Pissed my mother off enough that there was probably more bark in my backside than on the bush! I can't for the life of me remember what I did, but you can bet I never even thought about doing it again.

Back on topic, I keep all but two of mine in a locked closet with the ammo in a different location except for my 24/7 on my hip and the BlackHawk in a quick open safe in the nightstand
    Last edited by txbass06; 03-14-2012 at 10:30 PM.
    IDLE likes this.
    Taurus PT1911 9mm
    Taurus 24/7 Pro DS .45ACP
    Ruger Blackhawk .357 Mag
    FIE F15 .22LR
    Bushmaster Carbon-15 .223/5.56 NATO
    Savage Mod 64F .22LR
    Glenfield Mod 60 .22LR
    Universal M1 Carbine .30 cal
    Tikka M695 7mm Rem Mag
    Maverick 88 12 ga

Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Guns are stored in a couple secure locations. Ammo is stored in a different secure location. We don't have kids of our own but the nieces and nephews come over regularly. Better to be safe than sorry.
    IDLE likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1234 times
    I posted updates to the original news stories in OP.
    What's in your kernel?

Member #
    Liked
    4101 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    I guess I'm different. I grew up in a very well armed house, my neighbors, whos kids I played with, were very well armed, my grandparents.... and never once had any incident.

When kids are very small, I agree you need to keep them out of rooms, locked doors and constant supervision, and when they are older they need to know better. Firearms are no different than light sockets or house hold cleaning chemicals, bath tubs, power tools... People need to supervise their kids... Just my opinion.
    Yep! I grew up in a home where Dad and later my older brothers had rifles and shot guns readily available although never loaded unless they were going to shoot them. Yes I knew where they were and where the ammunition was, but I never handled them unless Dad or my older brothers were with me. Had Dad caught me "playing" with one of them I probably wouldn't be here today, as Dad would have whooped the living daylights out of me!!!

I never had to learn the same lesson twice and most of them carried over to other "NO-NO's" too!
    The Government is not the cure, it is the disease!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links