No one's talked me out of it yet... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: No one's talked me out of it yet...

Member #
    Liked
    7408 times
    I am a big fan of the pt22 ply. Lots of good reviews and the .22 had similar and sometimes better ballistic performance than the .25acp + it and the PT25PLY are made in the USA..

I know you said "all metal" but only the poly is made in the USA.

If I had the money I would already have one in my pocket.
    Last edited by GunsandNoses; 02-17-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    217 times
    I've taken notice of those little NAA revolvers, but they just seem a bit too small for me....I have freakishly large hands.

As noted, I'm looking for something small, metal-framed, in a small caliber. Something fun to plink with whenever I get the fancy, yet gives me the option to drop it in my back pocket to augment my 1911 if need be. Also, long term, when I get out to California to be with my girlfriend, I'd like to teach her how to shoot a bit on it. She's limited me to 3 guns(which could be worse. At least she didn't put her foot down at none!), and the 1911 is going with me no matter what. She's 5-foot-flat, 100 pounds soaking wet, so it may just be me, but a 1911 Commander in .45 might be a LIIIIIITTTTLLLLE too much for her to learn how to shoot on.

Basically, something small, cute, and fun. Kinda like her, but in metal.

The Bersa's got my eye. One of my old roommates had a Bersa .380 in duotone. Nice little pistol, but he had trouble finding ammo for it at the time. I'm also digging the Beretta Tomcat, but I've heard some less-than-stellar things about slides cracking on those(though I probably wouldn't run hotloads through it anyways, so I don't know if that even matters.)

Really, what I'd really love to get my greasy paws on is something older. My dad has a prewar Franz Stock .32 that I want, but he won't let me have. Really nice gun, though parts are difficult to find, and it's even harder to find information on the company. Franz Stock literally fell off the face of the earth around 1939.(German pistol company? Wonder why...) An old Browning Vest Pocket wouldn't be out of the question, either.
    Enfield Number 5 Jungle Carbine "Rule 303"
    H&R Pardner Pump 12GA "Senor 12-Gauge"
    Thompson M1911A1 .45ACP
    RIP Uncle John, 1953-2014....you fought hard.

Member #
    Liked
    8977 times
    Take a good look at the NAA offerings. They have :
    North American Arms Firearms

The Earl models, the magnum Black Widow, or the 22 Mini-masters are bigger than you might guess.

The Taurus PT-22s are metal and come in various colors. Might be her cup of tea or coffee. I own two of those and they are reliable with CCI Mini-mags or Remington Golden Bullets.

I've got the Beretta Tomcat and have had none ofthe problems that others have reported. it's been 100% reliable.
    NAA has the .32 ACP Guardian. I own one of those too. Great gun!

There are Taurus PT132 (holds 10+1 cartridges) and the CZ83 holds 15 shots in .32 ACP. I own 3 of the former and 1 of the latter.

Used CZ 83s or 82s from J&G Sales for sale at good prices.These are in .380 ACP and 9x18 calibers.

Bersa does sell a .32 ACP version which would need to be looked at Discount Hunting Supplies & Shooting Supplies, Ammunition - Able Ammo, Guns for Sale - Online Gun Auction - Buy Guns at GunBroker.com , or gunauctions.com: The Leading Guns and Ammunitions Site on the Net .

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    22898 times
    I used to have a Beretta 950 in .22 short that was just a hoot. The .25 is fine, but the .22 ammo is a hell of a lot cheaper. Unfortunately I gave it to my wife's cousin 15 years ago when she was having a little ex-boyfriend problem. If I ever see another one, I'm buying it.

Member #
    Liked
    8977 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    I used to have a Beretta 950 in .22 short that was just a hoot. The .25 is fine, but the .22 ammo is a hell of a lot cheaper. Unfortunately I gave it to my wife's cousin 15 years ago when she was having a little ex-boyfriend problem. If I ever see another one, I'm buying it.
    You'll be happy to note that gunauctions.com: The Leading Guns and Ammunitions Site on the Net has one for sale know

Beretta, Pietro ITALIAN MADE BERTTA MOD. 950 B 22.CAL SHORT

The other 5 are all in .25 ACP.

Guns for Sale - Online Gun Auction - Buy Guns at GunBroker.com has 5 in .22 Short for sale.

Member #
    Liked
    2152 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobCannon View Post
    okay, maybe I should rephrase.

I'm looking for a steel-frame pocket pistol in a small caliber purely for schnitzengiggles.
    I know what you're looking for. I just picked up a used Beretta 950 BS in 25ACP for $100. Taurus makes a similar gun in multiple color combinations. It fits in the watch pocket of my jeans, holds 8 in the mag and one in the flip up barrel. It weighs 9 ounces and is fun to shoot. It's single action only and has a thumb safety. It's what James Bond carried in early movies ... you can't get any cooler than that.
    Name:  DSC_0059.JPG
Views: 618
Size:  524.6 KB
    chicharrones likes this.
    Mess with my 1st Amendment Rights and get a quick lesson about my 2nd Amendment Rights. NRA Member

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7198 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobCannon View Post
    I've taken notice of those little NAA revolvers, but they just seem a bit too small for me....I have freakishly large hands.

As noted, I'm looking for something small, metal-framed, in a small caliber. Something fun to plink with whenever I get the fancy, yet gives me the option to drop it in my back pocket to augment my 1911 if need be.
    From my own experience with my NAA Guardian in .32 ACP, this is not a fun gun to plink with and will be very small in the hand. Good for the pocket, but your girlfriend will probably hate firing it.

In my opinion, a fun to plink with pocket gun would have to be a .22LR of some sort. I've had fun plinking with .32 ACP guns but they have been larger like the Bersa you mention. In my case the old CZ27 (photo at Collector's Firearms) is a great plinker, very accurate, and decent for self defense, but too much of a collectable in my opinion. The point really is that a .32 ACP has to be larger than a pocket gun to be fun to plink with.

For me that would leave the Taurus PT22 or the Beretta Bobcat. I have the Bobcat and when it runs well it is actually a fun pocket plinker. These two guns do have limitations though which would be once the chamber gets fouled, it starts jamming due to no extractor. You have to use good .22LR ammo in them which should allow you several magazines worth of firing before you need to clean the chamber.
    NRA Life Member

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33988 times
    I drool over these every time a see them in a gun shop. They're pricey and they're .380, but they get my attention. I already have a pocket pistol in .380, and can't justify another, I just want one!

P238 SAS
    chicharrones likes this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    If you want something older, check out the old "Ruby" style pistols. They are mostly .32's and some .25's and pretty reasonable prices with a lot available on gunbroker. There were TONS of them made for the french back in the world war days. I have a .25 ruby style from my great grandfather that dates back to WWI.
    PT1911 Duo-tone
    PT 24/7 Pro C DS

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    To answer your original question, get the PT22 if you can find an all metal version. Mine works great, and everyone in the family has fun plinking with it.
    Steve
    OSS 45
    PT145
    PT92 AFS
    PT22
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Kel-Tec P32
    S&W 22A-1

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links