Safe Opinions

Thread: Safe Opinions

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

Safe Opinions

Hey all,

My father and I have been discussing gun safes lately, as we have both recently gotten new ones. Anyway, we have read that it is considered poor practice by some to store batteries and ammo in your safe, although, we both know it is a common practice. The argument for those that support this theory is, in the event of a fire (God forbid), it essentially turns your safe into a bomb. Opinions?

Thanks in advance for your input.

IH
    NRA Member

"Fortes Fortuna Juvat"

Member #
    Liked
    500 times

Re: Safe Opinions

I have been storing ammo in my safe for years. I don`t buy that storing ammo in a safe would make it like a bomb in case of fire, if your safe is fire proof it can take a lot of heat, plus as heavy duty as a good safe is I think it would take a lot of ammo to blow it up. Just my 2 cents!
    In memory of Connie Ann Johnson, July 9,1962- March 31, 2011
    In memory of Calvin "P`nut" Hicks, August 22, 1950- August 14,2014
    U.S. Army 1969-1971. R.I.P. P`nut

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

it seems like it would be quite the opposite. most people I know that own safes store their ammo in it. if it's fire resistant, then it will take much longer for the ammo to heat up to the point of cooking off and it seems like you could also direct fire department to the safe so they can hose it down first and keep it from reaching that critical temperature.

I guess even if it did reach the point of cooking off, hopefully the thickness of the safe would help to slow down the rounds (or even stop them) and prevent injury. regardless, if fire is that much of a concern, get a bomb shelter.
    Glock 23
    Taurus PT111PRO
    CCW holder and NRA member
    MillPro takedown video

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33294 times

Your safe would need to be packed pretty tightly with ammo to cause any big concern. I would be more worried about rounds left in the chamber of guns in the safe. Should they cook off they could generate enough pressure to be dangerous.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

Thanks for the input guys. We were of the same opinion. I store my ammo in my safe and, quite frankly, never really considered this as a threat for some of the reasons you guys mentioned. Seems extremely unlikely to me that it should be an issue at all.
    NRA Member

"Fortes Fortuna Juvat"

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Well is there any documented cases of a safe exploding due to ammo storage in a fire or high temperature situation?

Member #
    Liked
    26120 times

Quote Originally Posted by BigSkiff™
    Your safe would need to be packed pretty tightly with ammo to cause any big concern. I would be more worried about rounds left in the chamber of guns in the safe. Should they cook off they could generate enough pressure to be dangerous.
    EXACTLY!!!
    first I do not store batteries in my safe because they may leak, ammo oh yea!
    Modern smokeless powder is a propellant not an explosive and so unless it is conatined then it is not really very dangerous.
    so actually a badly fitted safe would be safer as it would bleed off any built up pressures.
    secondly if the room gets hot enough to set off the powder in ammuniton then more than likely the safe has fell through the floor into the basement of lower floor anyway.
    as Big notes the only real ammunition that is a danger in a fire is pretty much the one in the chamber (in revolvers) possibly the couple in the cylinder that is not blocked by the frame.
    the rest of the ammo is going to split the cases if it does get hot enough to light off (remember unsupported cases) and the projectile is pretty much going to stay and the brass is going to shoot across the room(the projectile weighs more than the case) if it even does that.
    while it is unnerving to hear ammunition go off in a fire it only scares those unfamiliar with what is going to happen.
    gasoline is a lot more dangerous in your house/garage than gunpowder or ammunition is.
    been there, done that, many times!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors
    and the projectile is pretty much going to stay and the brass is going to shoot across the room(the projectile weighs more than the case)
    For some reason people tend to forget physics. Thanks for clearing that up.

Cheers.
    http://signatures.myarmedforces.com/..._signature.png

He who believes a political party is going to save them is already lost. -Me
    Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be. -Me
    Liberals want your money; conservatives want your soul. I'm not giving either. -Me
    Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. -Unk
    I'm a direct descendant of Augustus Pond: http://www.guncite.com/court/state/8mi150.html

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    9015 times

Quote Originally Posted by wyohman
    For some reason people tend to forget physics. Thanks for clearing that up.

Cheers.
    Do try to duck..

Member #
    Liked
    199 times

I was in the middle of writing about how I wouldn't put anything in my safe that might damage the very possessions that I'm trying to protect. Then I thought about it. Any heat capable of blowing up a battery or setting off live rounds would probably ruin all my guns anyway. I don't think I own a single gun that doesn't have any plastic, wood, or rubber. 3 of 5 of my handguns have polymer frames, my rifles have wood or plastic stocks, my 605 has rubber grips, my pt101 has plastic grips. If rounds are cooking off, wood and plastic would be melting/burning as well, so, I guess I would store ammo in there. I agree with olfarhors though about the batteries, they could leak and ruin the finish a gun without a fire being involved.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Sponsored Links