Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Combat Vet But Shotgun Newb Questions

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

Combat Vet But Shotgun Newb Questions

Evening Gents.

Ammo shortages being what they are, I recently purchased a lot of Winchester Super X 12 gauge 1oz rifled slugs in 2.75" shells for our home defense Mossberg 500.

Admittedly, I don't know much about shotguns.

As a former Army PSD Team leader, the most mileage I ever got out of the team's Remington 870 was to remind Iraqi Locals of the importance of maintaining a 100m following distance on convoys and removing the hinges from doors my breachers didn't kick in on the first try.

My question is: If the barrel of the Mossy is smooth and I keep the Modified Choke in it, will I be ok stacking No. 8 shot and the aforementioned rifled slugs?

Sorry if that seems like a dumb question to you fowl hounds.

I'm still new to the sporting firearms world.

Thanks.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33517 times
    What kind of home environment are you in? Slugs penetrate like crazy, a big 1 oz piece of lead going between 1500 and 1800 fps. You have the opposite problem with the #8 birdshot. Having a choice, I think I'd use the #8 and let them get close. The alternative would be using the slugs and choosing your fields of fire very, very carefully.

When ammo starts coming back, you might want to get some BB sized shot or #4 shot, minimum. 00 buck is of course the gold standard, but penetration with this can be brutal too so be careful and plan things out before you find yourself in a self defense situation.
    777Driver and olfarhors like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    We're way out in the woods on the FloraBama line. I'm not too worried about over-penetration. Especially with the overpopulation of Blackbears that regularly prowl the property after sundown.

Any input on the choke?
    MOONDAWG likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8594 times
    Yes you can shoot slugs through a modified choke, I would use #3 or #4 buck to alternate with. It's a lot better than Birdshot. IMO

Many of us use a Mossberg in some configuration!

Stay safe!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Thank you very very much sir.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Sir,

What is the ideal choke / shot size to use to maximize accuracy for rifled slugs to the furthest distance and keep shot patterns tight?

Member #
    Liked
    5364 times
    Rifled slugs are designed to crush the "rifling" as it goes through the choke. However the less choke the better for slugs. Number 8 shot is better suited for small birds and clay targets. Number 6 shot is fine for rabbit sized animals.
    I suggest you study this chart for the helpful info in it.
    Shot Size Chart / Recommendations

Member #
    Liked
    898 times
    I agree that the shotgun will be fine.

Penetration is always an issue based on where you are.

On my 27 acre rural property, it is a non issue.

Youtube has a number of useful tests about this.

My unit had many shotguns in an infantry company with most not on the books.

#4 Buck can work (we used it) but lacks the performance of 00 or 000 Buck.

Member #
    Liked
    1859 times
    #4 buck shot is not #4 bird shot. "buck" as in deer. #4 buck is 24 caliber.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    4492 times
    Those slugs will put a hurt on whatever is in their path. I'll stick with 00 buck for the home defense purposes.

I recently went through some boxes and for some reason I have about 50 of those darned rifled slugs -- I was thinking abut creating stacks but probably wouldn't do it.

These should do the trick

Name:  Just-in-case.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  108.0 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links