Combat Vet But Shotgun Newb Questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Combat Vet But Shotgun Newb Questions

Member #
    Liked
    5926 times
    I'm a city dweller with children and dogs in the home, so i would never use a rifled slug for home defense in my situation. Given the different areas of the house, even using 00 buck can make me nervous about over penatration. Though I've been thinking about stacking 00 and 7 shot recently.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk
    olfarhors likes this.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    8726 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci0810 View Post
    Sir,

What is the ideal choke / shot size to use to maximize accuracy for rifled slugs to the furthest distance and keep shot patterns tight?
    Patterns varies from gun to gun, between the brands and even from lot to lot within a brand. The only way to know what will work best out of a particular gun is to go shoot and pattern it with a little bit of everything.

Tight patterns need a tighter choke. Tight chokes don't work with slugs. It's also a great way to screw up a perfectly good shotgun barrel.
    olfarhors likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    28606 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Montkun View Post
    I'm a city dweller with children and dogs in the home, so i would never use a rifled slug for home defense in my situation. Given the different areas of the house, even using 00 buck can make me nervous about over penatration. Though I've been thinking about stacking 00 and 7 shot recently.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

yea we all have our ideas!
    Mine is IF i was working a road block or possibly trying to stop a vehicle, stop body armor person I might consider 00 -000 Buckshot, but #1 or #4 buck is my choice for home protection, simple plenty of penetration, more pellets= more holes = more blood loss=likely more chance of hitting a vital organ or vessel.
    jtg452, MOONDAWG and tobywan45 like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3396 times
    I'm probably one of the big shot gunners here. With the standard Foster style rifled slug, IC is good cylinder bore the best. The reason is that excessive choke can damage the slug and affect accuracy. Also, turkey chokes are not a good idea with slugs.

No #8 shot is only good on clay targets and small game like rabbit, squirrels, and birds. You're better off with #4 bird shot when in doubt, and #1 buckshot for all others.

The problem with shot is that not all shotguns are the same and react the same per choke. I've a 870 20ga that does well with slugs up to the IC choke, and falls off in accuracy at modified, but does the best with #1 and #3 buckshot with the Modified and Imp. Modified.

So it turns out to be a compromise. Find out where accuracy falls off on slugs, and step back to the next more open choke. Then find the best pattern it produces by selecting the best shot round. Federal Flight control tends to do the best in more open chokes.

DON'T EVER SHOOT A SHOTGUN THAT HAS A SCREW IN CHOKE WITHOUT ONE.

Maloy

Member #
    Liked
    4553 times
    Tactical shotguns seem to handle slugs well ... even though slugs kick like a mule. I have some 8 or 9 shot (can't recall) but why use the birdshot in a defensive situation?

I'm leaning toward the AR15 for defense.

Member #
    Liked
    512 times
    If you can find some buck and ball loads they are good for home defense while slugs are good for bears. At closer ranges I would not wish to be shot with bird shot.
    oo or ooo buck are good home defense loads also.
    You can get chokes just for slugs but they are not really good for other loads.
    Shut up and reload!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8644 times
    Fiocchi Exacta Nickleplated OO Buck Shot 9 pellets!!
    This stuff and Federal Tactical Rifled slugs is what I use! Can't beat them.

Mossberg 500A with an ATI shock absorbing adjustable stock and center point sling!

Of course I have my AR also!
    And..............!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    232 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 Forever View Post
    Yes you can shoot slugs through a modified choke, I would use #3 or #4 buck to alternate with. It's a lot better than Birdshot. IMO

Many of us use a Mossberg in some configuration!

Stay safe!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I carried and still own an old Remington 870, which I have carried with #4 buck shot since the day I purchased it in 1984. excellent rounds...

Member #
    Liked
    232 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    Tactical shotguns seem to handle slugs well ... even though slugs kick like a mule. I have some 8 or 9 shot (can't recall) but why use the birdshot in a defensive situation?

I'm leaning toward the AR15 for defense.

Attended a three day shotgun school back in the '80s...we fired all sorts of loads. The round which provided me with a lot of information was the 12 gauge slug. It makes an excellent rifle when no rifle is available. In the '80s it was not common to have rifles in patrol vehicles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links