Got first rifle. Question to start the learning curve.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Got first rifle. Question to start the learning curve.

Member #
    Liked
    647 times

Got first rifle. Question to start the learning curve.

I purchased a friend's late father's rifle for $100. It is a Remington 721 30-06 SPRG, which I believe stands for the 30-06 Springfield cartridge. The gentleman probably used it 1950's -70's.

When I purchased it a few months ago, I took it to my local shop/smith and had them look it over to make sure it was safe to use and have it cleaned up. While there, I bought a box of ammo to use...but don't think I asked *which* ammo I should use.

To me, 30-06 was 30-06.

What I bought was a box of Hornady 30-06 M1 Garand 168rd A-MAX. My question: did I buy ammo that can safely be shot from the (SPRG) rifle?

I'm trying to learn more via the net, but wanted to ask that particular question here. I hope soon to find someone experienced in rifle shooting to go with me on my first range trip with it - probably better not to do that first trip alone.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    21929 times
    A "modern" 30-06 such as yours is built to shoot any 30-06 ammunition safely. The concern arises when shooting modern ammunition in an original Garand M-1, which is not your case. Your Remington 721 can safely handle the ammunition you list in your post.
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    That ammo is perfectly safe to use in that rifle, any manufacturer cartridge that is 30.06 Springfield is safe to use in your rifle the only difference in the ammo you purchased is it is optimized for use in the M1 Garand which also uses the 30.06 round but is pickier about ammo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    647 times
    Great - many thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    1859 times
    Ohh and that 168gr A-Max is long range match ammo. I hit a 10" ring at 600yards with my M-1 Garrand. That's with Iron sights.
    The 721 is said to be very accurate. It is the father of the 700.
    Bruntson and jtg452 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5160 times
    Congratulations on buying such a great rifle at such a rock bottom price. Last built in 1961, The Remington 721 is known as a very accurate rifle. We would love to see some pics of your rifle.
    jtg452, Valjean, Lomax and 2 others like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46012 times
    Sweet deal on a great vintage rifle, congratulations.
    Valjean likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    647 times
    Holy cow, I don't know whether I could even *see* a 10" circle at 600 yards, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Ickthus View Post
    Ohh and that 168gr A-Max is long range match ammo. I hit a 10" ring at 600yards with my M-1 Garrand. That's with Iron sights.
    The 721 is said to be very accurate. It is the father of the 700.

Member #
    Liked
    647 times
    I'll post some up later tonight. It has a scope on it (many of the ones I see on YT also have a scope...which after reading more about the rifle/ammo is quite understandable!), and I'll soon be figuring out how to adjust it - if necessary. I haven't taken a hard look at it yet, though I do see one rather large looking screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruntson View Post
    Congratulations on buying such a great rifle at such a rock bottom price. Last built in 1961, The Remington 721 is known as a very accurate rifle. We would love to see some pics of your rifle.
    Bruntson likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    647 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    Sweet deal on a great vintage rifle, congratulations.
    Thank you. Neither of us had any idea of its value. She also had a Remington shotgun (forget the number, but it was their most common/best selling one of the same time period, probably purchased in the 50's). We agreed on $200 for both.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links