Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Got first rifle. Question to start the learning curve.

1K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Peacemakr40 
#1 ·
I purchased a friend's late father's rifle for $100. It is a Remington 721 30-06 SPRG, which I believe stands for the 30-06 Springfield cartridge. The gentleman probably used it 1950's -70's.

When I purchased it a few months ago, I took it to my local shop/smith and had them look it over to make sure it was safe to use and have it cleaned up. While there, I bought a box of ammo to use...but don't think I asked *which* ammo I should use.

To me, 30-06 was 30-06.

What I bought was a box of Hornady 30-06 M1 Garand 168rd A-MAX. My question: did I buy ammo that can safely be shot from the (SPRG) rifle?

I'm trying to learn more via the net, but wanted to ask that particular question here. I hope soon to find someone experienced in rifle shooting to go with me on my first range trip with it - probably better not to do that first trip alone.

#2 ·
A "modern" 30-06 such as yours is built to shoot any 30-06 ammunition safely. The concern arises when shooting modern ammunition in an original Garand M-1, which is not your case. Your Remington 721 can safely handle the ammunition you list in your post.

#9 ·
I'll post some up later tonight. It has a scope on it (many of the ones I see on YT also have a scope...which after reading more about the rifle/ammo is quite understandable!), and I'll soon be figuring out how to adjust it - if necessary. I haven't taken a hard look at it yet, though I do see one rather large looking screw.

#7 ·
Sweet deal on a great vintage rifle, congratulations.

Reactions: Valjean
#10 ·
Thank you. Neither of us had any idea of its value. She also had a Remington shotgun (forget the number, but it was their most common/best selling one of the same time period, probably purchased in the 50's). We agreed on $200 for both.

#12 ·
Nice rifle, nice deal, congratulations.

#19 ·
I was going to say that also...the rifle was free.

#24 ·
The 721 is a fantastic rifle. 30-06 is gonna let you know you shot it. Made between 1948 and 1962 it's an older rifle that will still reach out and ding steel at well over 600 yards. Parts are still quite available though it was seriously overbuilt for the application. With the proper doping of the scope you have on it, dinging steel all day long at 1000 yards is well within the ability of the rifle. I'd say you've got a keeper that if you maintain it should be able to be passed down for at least several generations as a shooter. The price you paid was seriously low. They're typically running in the 450-600 range with cheap glass. add another hundred for the Leupold.
Congrats on buying a Gem of a rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.