Does Remington have a future? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Does Remington have a future?

Member #
    Liked
    34843 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    The mini cooper is a BMW. The original Indian and Triumph are in name only. They have NO connection to the original companies and the products' designs, fortunately, bare no similarity to the originals. The previous brand trademark owners just sold the trademarks to the new owners. Indian even marketed S&S engined bikes as Indian until they got their own designs, as I've read anyway.
    Mini is owned by BMW, uses their engines, but have important design differences too. The revised Minis were designed in the UK. Triumph actually never completely stopped production; it was a mere trickle of bikes for a while, but it never completely stopped. Yes, the new bikes (even the Bonneville) are clean sheet designs. But I'd say "no similarity to the originals" is an overstatement, as far as the Bonneville line is concerned. And lots of them (mine included) are made in the UK.

As for Indian, it died completely. No question. And I personally have no respect for anything with an Indian badge and a Harley clone engine. None whatsoever. But Polaris bought the rights, did a clean sheet design that screams Indian from the crankshaft up, and they nailed it. Everything Polaris has sold under the Indian name has had a clean sheet engine design. But it's actually some impressive engineering. Any motorcyclist waking up from a 70 year nap would take one look at the engine and say "that's an Indian." And the Thunderstroke meets all the emissions regs and other requirements while simply being air/oil cooled. And it doesn't have to be hotted up to be worth riding. Mine is bone stock in engine terms; not so much as a K&K filter, and it's a great ride.

Name:  Nokomis 001.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  1.07 MB

So of these three brands, Triumph is probably the most relevant to this discussion. They were in bankruptcy (it's the UK, so the probably call it something weird like financial insolvency mumbly pickles), but they kept pushing out a tiny stream of bikes until John Bloor bought the company and brought it roaring back. And I do mean roaring. They have had their failures - competing with the Japanese in four cylinder 600cc sportbikes is a very, very tall order - but they've changed the market for the better in some very real ways. My Daytona can hold it's head up proudly next to any other remotely similar bike, and it's going strong at almost 69,000 miles.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    TexasAviator likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    28387 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    I read somewhere that it turns out the Navajo Nation doesn't have the proper licensing to sell and all that Federal junk. I suppose they could sell inside their boundaries but not outside so they took a step back. That's kind of what I got from it anyway.

OK, now do we really think selling a firearm (and associated aces) to a Native American tribe a good idea after the way the white man has treated them over the years??--Just saying!
    Kind of like giving matches away at a Arson Convention!
    I think we should ask General Custer how he feels about this!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    28387 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
    You know the indians can't have guns....the govt took care of that hundreds of years ago.
    GEEEEZZ!
    I just hope they don't aquire a Liquor company after they get Remington, thats what I worry about.
    Bunch of drunk Indians with firearms, we think the big Democratic cities have problems now!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    28387 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    I still think it was a darn shame that they had to gobble up H&R/NEF only to shut them down.
    Lets not for get Para / Bushmaster either, Remlin has gobbled up quite a few small companies as well, anything they thought they could turn a buck on and then let them disappear.
    jtg452 and BigBlue like this.

Member #
    Liked
    28387 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    So, Indian and Triumph are like Henry Arms!

The only thing historical about Henry Arms is the name.
    cough-cough-cough Springfield Armory..
    jtg452, TexasAviator and BigBlue like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    32729 times
    Well, I never said the modern Triumph wasn't an improvement, HUGE improvement. They got smart and copied reliable Japanese designs, like horizontal split cases with a center bearing crankshaft, for instance, to eliminate crank flex and keep it from dripping on the floor of the showroom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Motorcycles_Ltd
    TexasAviator likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    8500 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    ... and keep it from dripping on the floor of the showroom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Motorcycles_Ltd

If I remember correctly, AMC Harley's 'marked their territory' in the showroom (parking lot, driveway,....), too.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33517 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Colt has filed bankruptcy before.

Chrysler has filed bankruptcy.

Gibson has filed bankruptcy.

It definitely doesn't mean the absolute end. And I say that as someone who has a 2004 Triumph, a 2018 Indian, and a pair of Mini Coopers...
    Don't forget Coonan and Star. Neither company has had much luck in their post-bankruptcy world though.
    jtg452, olfarhors and BigBlue like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    35589 times
    The motorcycle brands mentioned bring up a good point. Anyone who does buy Remington at this point will get some assets and inventory, but mostly they will be buying brand and goodwill.

Sure others made and/or imported mopeds and small bikes but the cruisers we tend to think of as "Indians" (think the Chief, Scout etc) were absent from any Indian branding from the early '50's until the late 90's. None of those companies did particularly well either. The brand didn't fit the product. It wasn't until 1999 that someone started making "real" Indians again. (That attempt went bankrupt too). But they lead the way for a viable stand alone motorcycle company targeting the cruiser market. Which the Indian Motorcycle company (2006-2011) did.

Indian's new owner, Polaris, who wanted a larger share of the powersports market in the US. So they bought the Indian brand name, product lines, and assets. Is an Indian Scout from say 1920 the same as one from 2020? Not even close. Even the original Scout was replaced by the 101 in the late '20's. But they all aimed to be light, agile fast bikes compared to their contemporary competitors, generally the cruiser even the modern standard segment to a degree.

(Full disclosure, I'm leaning towards a naked bike for my next purchase, I'm eyeing a Kawi Z900 or Honda CB650R, but the Scout keeps coming to mind as well )

Whoever buys Remington needs to look at the Indian case study and take things back to the basics, at least to start.
    Last edited by TexasAviator; 07-30-2020 at 10:19 AM.
    NativeTexan likes this.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    34843 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    The motorcycle brands mentioned bring up a good point. Anyone who does buy Remington at this point will get some assets and inventory, but mostly they will be buying brand and goodwill.
    Goodwill? Given Remington's recent history, will they be buying goodwill, really?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    (Full disclosure, I'm leaning towards a naked bike for my next purchase, I'm eyeing a Kawi Z900 or Honda CB650R, but the Scout keeps coming to mind as well )
    Do NOT click here. Don't do it. Don't. I warned you. And I'm not trying to get revenge for the forum recently forcing me to buy a .32 pistol, no, not at all. That's silly.
    TexasAviator likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links