The new grips are done!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: The new grips are done!

Member #
    Liked
    7090 times

Cool The new grips are done!

I want to thank all who shared their opinions when I asked for them concerning the new grips I ordered for my new stainless Kimber Raptor 1911. The grips are done and I received them USPS Priority mail yesterday. I am going to the gun shop in Tampa to pick up the gun(s) on Thursday.

The grips are carved from a set of bookend blanks of stabilized spalted Maple Burl. For those interested just about any wood can be found with a burl. A burl is an odd growth on the trunk or major limbs. It is similar to a tumor growing off the tree. It is caused when a break in the bark of the tree let's in bacteria which produces an external growth at the site of the infection. A burl produces beautiful swirls and patterns within itself.

The first picture below is of the original bookend blanks as they came from the custom wood yard. The only thing done to them was when the picture was taken water was applied to show the color and grain.

The second picture shows the back side of the blanks. The only thing done to this side is to inlay the carvers logo coins.

The third picture shows the finished grips ready to be installed on the gun. The grips have been done in a magwell cut with the pin covered and a left hand safety. As soon as I pick up the gun this week I will post a picture with the grips installed.

Thanks for looking...

Don

.Name:  20200711_103316.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  210.0 KB

Name:  20200711_103758.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  1.31 MB

.Name:  20200711_103517.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  1.35 MB

Last edited by BangBang; 07-11-2020 at 12:56 PM.
    Are we the only country dumb enough to start a second civil war because we are offended by the first one?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46137 times
    Sweet! Looking at the coloring I am reminded of the salvaged centuries old wood from the depths of Lake Superior. The grain is such that is rarely found in newer growth and the minerals from the water impart similar coloration. I wonder if Curt ever worked with any of that stock?
    BangBang likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    318 times
    Those grip panels are beautiful!
    And I have turned a piece of oak salvaged from the depths of lake superior. Hard on the edge of tooling because of the amount of dirt absorbed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    BangBang likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4206 times
    Don't we have enough worries in this world without you bring up your new gripes? I mean really, with all that is going on what more do you need to gripe about?

What?

What's that?

Huh?

Oh...grips...not gripes. Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Carry on (literally and figuratively)!!!

Oh yeah, please send a picture once she puts them on!

Member #
    Liked
    761 times
    Those are beautiful. Congrats!
    Lomax and BangBang like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2435 times
    Some of the best looking I've ever seen! Congrats!
    BangBang likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33582 times
    I wasn't sure what they were going to look like after they were finished, but I have to say, I'm impressed. That looks really good. I can't wait to see them on your gun.
    BangBang likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    7090 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    I wasn't sure what they were going to look like after they were finished, but I have to say, I'm impressed. That looks really good. I can't wait to see them on your gun.
    I am very happy with them myself. The carver has been doing 1911 grips (that is all he does) for a long time and he has developed a good eye for what looks best in a set of blanks.

Here is a picture he sent me for approval on where he would plan his cuts.

Don

Name:  H138-b.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  252.8 KB
    Are we the only country dumb enough to start a second civil war because we are offended by the first one?

Member #
    Liked
    20631 times
    That is purty stuff!
    BangBang likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    20124 times
    Outright flat beautiful.
    BangBang likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links