Good shoot or bad....... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Good shoot or bad.......

Member #
    Liked
    9623 times
    Not enough information in the article to say whether it was a legally justified shooting or not. It does sound like the guy who got shot was not liked by many in that area and for good reasons !
    "This is not a world in which one can turn the other cheek. Doing so does not avoid violence, but rather encourages it. The bad guys threaten, but they do not seem to want to get hurt. They should be taught that their presumed victim is more dangerous than they are. This is not a matter of weapons, but of will."

- Jeff Cooper, April 2005

Member #
    Liked
    8366 times
    First, I think this shooter needs some training and/or range time to improve their shooting.

Second, IF you are going to shoot an 'unwanted" in your home, make sure it incapacitates them.

Third, once the confrontation is broken off by the 'unwanted', don't go chasing them. You become a prime witness, able to describe the 'unwanted' to law enforcement. Let them do the chasing and arresting, even if the suspect is bleeding to death in an emergency room.

Now, for my opinion: First shot or shots good, ANY shots after chasing the suspect are BAD. Could be looking at murder here, but may plead down to something like manslaughter or assault with a deadly weapon. I certainly do not want to be in this person's shoes.
    777Driver, olfarhors and jtg452 like this.
    Electing Joe Biden as President will be similar to going bear hunting at night with just a pair of chop sticks and a lit candle. You know it is a bad idea from the outset, you can not defend yourself, you are ill prepared for what can and maybe will happen, and you question why you even thought it would be a good idea in the first place.

Member #
    Liked
    5089 times
    Shooter is in trouble.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    34664 times
    "They knew of him and they knew there was an issue between these two parties to the extent they are not sure, but it was known there were issues between the two parties," Detective Michael Bohannon with the Fayetteville Police Department told ABC11.

Sounds complicated.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    199 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    I'm not so sure it is bad. You can try and recover your property in Texas, not sure how that is in NC. If the guy did have some of their property would it change things in NC?
    Exactly...the moral of the incident is to know YOUR state law on property protection and self protection. In Texas:

Texas Penal Code Section 9.42--Deadly Force to Protect Property

A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other WHO IS IMMEDIATELY FLEEING AFTER COMMITTING burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
    (3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Emphasis added in capital letters.

In Texas one has a right to recover his stolen property. Further, when does a crime cease to be a crime ? Further, in Texas this would probably be referred to a grand jury (required by law for all felonies).
    Last edited by Old_Sp5; 06-29-2020 at 07:51 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    35475 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Sp5 View Post
    Exactly...the moral of the incident is to know YOUR state law on property protection and self protection.
    And even though you act within the law have a good lawyer on hand!
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47651 times
    Morally he was wrong. He crossed the line when he pursued. Legally I guess it would depend on the circumstances as to when the second shooting occurred. One could argue that he chased him to be a good witness and get more information regarding the crime that was committed against him. What happened when he caught him, did he verbally command him to stop? Did he physically try to stop him? If he chased and did not attack or try to physically stop him and the guy then attacked him one could argue that he was in fear of his life so he shot him again to stop the threat.

I can see this go either way. Me for myself I would have never put myself in this second position so there would never be a concern if I was right or wrong.
    slong115 likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3905 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    Morally he was wrong. He crossed the line when he pursued. Legally I guess it would depend on the circumstances as to when the second shooting occurred. One could argue that he chased him to be a good witness and get more information regarding the crime that was committed against him. What happened when he caught him, did he verbally command him to stop? Did he physically try to stop him? If he chased and did not attack or try to physically stop him and the guy then attacked him one could argue that he was in fear of his life so he shot him again to stop the threat.

I can see this go either way. Me for myself I would have never put myself in this second position so there would never be a concern if I was right or wrong.
    I'll preface this by saying I don't know anything about this other than what I've read on this thread.

What was morally wrong about pursuing the guy? Is it morally wrong to apprehend a thief? Is it morally wrong to try to lend medical attention to someone who is injured? Sure, if the guy had some bloodlust and wanted to harm/kill the guy then you'd have a moral argument, but that isn't stated anywhere either? What was morally wrong about his pursuit?
    TexasAviator likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47651 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    I'll preface this by saying I don't know anything about this other than what I've read on this thread.

What was morally wrong about pursuing the guy? Is it morally wrong to apprehend a thief? Is it morally wrong to try to lend medical attention to someone who is injured? Sure, if the guy had some bloodlust and wanted to harm/kill the guy then you'd have a moral argument, but that isn't stated anywhere either? What was morally wrong about his pursuit?
    If I had to shoot someone in my house in self defense, I see no good reason to chase after them if they made it out of the house. Chasing them down to possibly get in another confrontation to me is morally wrong. You protected yourself, get your doors locked and call the police and possibly your attorney. I highly doubt he chased him to help him out. Anything is possible I guess.

Lets say you do chase him down to apprehend him, now he is in your care and you are required in most places to take care of him and render aid. A risky proposition, especially if he should succumb to his injuries after you apprehended him. Just chances I would not take.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    562 times
    Bad Shoot ! He was in no threat of his life after perp ran away ! He is not LEO ! Should have called Police,Now he will face depraved indifference to human life showing his desire to finish what he started ! We should all be aware of our limitations in Deadly Physical faorce where they begin and end ! RET/LEO/MDT
    slong115 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links