Moving Soon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Moving Soon

Member #
    Liked
    379 times

Moving Soon

In the near future, we'll be moving back to the wife's hometown in Arizona. If I understand, you can't sell or give firearms to someone across state lines, but what about moving. Do I need to worry about taking my firearms to another state? Be able to prove ownership or something? Any input appreciated.
    "Get ready, little lady. Hell is coming to breakfast."

"It was the time of the preacher
    In the year of Oh-One,
    Now the lesson is over,
    And the killin's begun..."

Member #
    Liked
    9529 times
    For definitive information, contact the AG's Office in both states. I don't think there's a problem as long as the guns you are moving are legal in both states. However, I'm not an attorney and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express in recent memory.
    DeltaBravoKS and Car_Doc like this.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    20120 times
    Since Texas and Arizona do not have or require firearms registration I would think, just pack them up and move along quietly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8498 times
    You should not have any problem. Arizona is the #1 state in gun rights, according to Guns and Ammo. My brother recently moved down here with many firearms, including an AR15, along with my niece and her small arsenal, and they have had NO problems with law enforcement about the guns they have. IIRC, Arizona BANS any attempt at registration of firearms statewide, so you don't have to worry about that.

Again, Divebum gives some great advice to take advantage of, along with looking up the firearms laws in Arizona. Just might have to do that myself.
    DeltaBravoKS likes this.
    Electing Joe Biden as President will be similar to going bear hunting at night with just a pair of chop sticks and a lit candle. You know it is a bad idea from the outset, you can not defend yourself, you are ill prepared for what can and maybe will happen, and you question why you even thought it would be a good idea in the first place.

Member #
    Liked
    210 times
    Since Arizona has reciprocity with handgun licenses, your guns should be safe.

When my son was stationed at Luke AFB on the west side of Phoenix, I carried a handgun without hesitation when I visited.
    Last edited by Old_Sp5; 06-24-2020 at 08:36 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    8547 times
    Quote Originally Posted by brazostaurus View Post
    In the near future, we'll be moving back to the wife's hometown in Arizona. If I understand, you can't sell or give firearms to someone across state lines, but what about moving. Do I need to worry about taking my firearms to another state? Be able to prove ownership or something? Any input appreciated.
    Transfers of ownership- selling or gifting- across state lines are required to be done through FFL's.

What you have to be concerned with when moving from state to state is make sure what you are bringing with you isn't illegal in your new home state (like bringing one of those scary AR's into Kalifornistan), and any ownership licensing (for example,IL's FOID) or registration requirements they may have. What's legal in AL or TX will get you 100 years in the electric chair in states like NJ.

Since you are moving to AZ, I doubt you will have an issue BUT you need to look up what AZ's state laws actually are and any local laws that may apply.
    TexasAviator likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46094 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Transfers of ownership- selling or gifting- across state lines are required to be done through FFL's.

What you have to be concerned with when moving from state to state is make sure what you are bringing with you isn't illegal in your new home state (like bringing one of those scary AR's into Kalifornistan), and any ownership licensing (for example,IL's FOID) or registration requirements they may have. What's legal in AL or TX will get you 100 years in the electric chair in states like NJ.

Since you are moving to AZ, I doubt you will have an issue BUT you need to look up what AZ's state laws actually are and any local laws that may apply.
    It's been a long time since I've heard of people wanting to move here...our traffic is all one way, out of this place.

The OP poses an interesting question however, one I've never given any thought to at all. I just figured to pack up what I had and head on down the road.
    jtg452 likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33559 times
    If I were you, I'd check into the states you have to cross to get there, like New Mexico. If your guns are packed up and deep inside a Ryder truck, then there is little chance they would know or bother if the truck got pulled over, but you never know. I'd check NM state law just to make sure that you're okay moving certain guns through their state. You can always go around it if you had to.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    298 times
    There are four government entities laws the OP needs to be concerned with:

State laws of Texas
    State laws of Arizona
    State laws of New Mexico
    Federal laws

Assuming you and your guns are legal to own in both Texas (start State) and in Arizona (End state), the federal FOPA law protects you driving across New Mexico (transit state) so long as you adhere to the FOPA requirements. One of which is not to stop in NM which would then make it a destination state. When that happens, the local laws of NM apply. Additional requirements are to keep your weapons unloaded and in the trunk or locked in a case inaccessible to driver/passengers if no trunk available.

So if you plan to drive all the way through, only TX and AZ laws are of concern. If you plan to stay over in NM, or find yourself stuck due to any reason, NM laws become a concern.

Best plan: Do not guess - find out from the statutes and adhere.

When I lived in NJ I often flew to FL where I had a home as well. I flew through newark airport many times with handguns. I made sure I knew all the requirements to stay out of trouble. I even called ahead to the airline ticket counter to let them know I would be traveling with firearms in accord with all state and federal laws and regulations. It was never a problem but often was interesting. LOL

I repeat: Do not guess - find out from the statutes and adhere.
    jtg452 and ShtnBlanks.22 like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    21961 times
    New Mexico allows you to carry your loaded firearm in the seat beside you, or even on the dashboard if you are so inclined. You don't have to hide it. Concealed carry has reciprocity rules with other states, but open carry in NM is legal for both residents and non-residents alike.

The above also pertains to interstate highways, federal highways, and state highways that pass through Native American pueblos and reservations. If you drive on any other road on a pueblo or reservation, conceal any firearms within your vehicle. It's okay to have them in your car, but do not carry, either concealed or openly, when outside your vehicle on Native American land without express written permission from the tribal office. They are sovereign nations unto themselves within the USA.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, but I've lived in NM for over 40 years. The above is just my advice.
    unclenunzie likes this.
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links