• 1 Post By garyh
  • 1 Post By taurustoter
  • 1 Post By kmw1954

Thread: The New Job

Member #
    Liked
    4232 times

The New Job

Yesterday was my 6th day and second week at the new Part Time job working at the Range. I think I'm going to stay a while.

Our day starts at 8am with a daily safety meeting with the managers to discuss current issues, ideas, problems and changes. by 8:30 we are on the ranges checking lights and sound and then out to repair or replace damaged target stands. 9am we drop the gate and allow people onto the range. Then the fun begins and it's all out until 5pm. We run 15 minute firing sessions with cease fire for as long as it takes to let everyone go down range to change targets. Once everyone has returned we return to Live/Hot. We will not begin a new Hot session after 4:45.. After the shut down we made a quick run down the range and remove all left targets and inspect target stands. By that time it's been a long day.

At this time the toughest part is still greeting patrons and reciting the range rules and giving instructions w/o forgetting anything. Next most difficult part is always remembering to reset the 15 min timer. Though while I was at the 300yd range there were times when there were only 3 or 4 people on the range and then we pretty much let them set the pace and let us know when they are ready to go change targets.

Range activity has been very steady with good crowds and everyone pretty much very well behaved. Mostly everything proceeds in a very orderly fashion. The most frequently forgotten rules are;
    1. stay away from the bench, do not handle firearms/ammunition during a cease fire.
    2. Do not try to go Down Range until the "All Clear" proceed down to change targets.
    3. All firearms must be cased, removed from the case only on the bench and the muzzle must be facing down range.
    4.No firearms allowed behind the firing line at any time and no passing firearms from bench to bench.

Special rules; on the 100yd range we have a temporary 50 yard range set up and because the target stands are so far back from the berm all firing must take place while seated. Shotguns may be fired on the 25yard and 100yd range but only with slugs.

Anyways, that is what I've learned and observed in my first 2 weeks.

Lastly I confirmed with the facility manager that I can indeed Mine the Berms as long as I don't make a mess of the berms.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47647 times
    When I visit other ranges the no handling ammunition or magazines is hard for m to remember. My member range permits loading magazines while others are down range as long as it does not involve touching a firearm.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    376 times
    How do the folks do on clean up and brass picking up?
    Shut up and reload!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7033 times
    Sounds like you really like what you are doing. That is not like working at all.
    kmw1954 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4232 times
    They are very shooter friendly with no problem picking up brass, they just don't want you down on your knees and disrupting others or digging thru the barrels. The covered ranges right now have dirt/gravel floors except for the 300yard range which is all concrete. There is talk of concreting all of them but when I don't know.

The only other PT job I've ever had that was this much fun was when I was working a golf course at night when they still had the 1900 irrigation system with the sprayer heads that had to be twisted into a disconnect. There were nights I was out there on a work cart till midnight, moving sprinklers. Clear starry nights were so peaceful!
    I was labeled a Deplorable, As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Member #
    Liked
    3877 times
    Sounds like a pretty good gig!
    kmw1954 likes this.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45332 times
    I've only been up to McMiller 4 or 5 times, but have enjoyed every visit. The management, which is tied in with Milford Hills or used to be, keeps things orderly and clean. The facility is owned by the WI DNR unlike Milford Hills, but they seem to plow proceeds back into the facility to constantly improve it. I am looking forward to me next visit already!

We should work on a group shoot toward the end of Summer. Good food, good friends and guns...what could be better?
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    4232 times
    Yes indeed it once was under the management of Milford Hills. The property is still owned by the state DNR but it is under private management. DNR still dictates some of the practices and policies. While Scott Walker was still Gov. he past a bill that put more money from the sales tax collected on firearms and ammunition to go back to the DNR for the advancement, training and building shooting sports and ranges within the state. There is one new range already to just about open because of this Bill.

During the virus outbreak the employees were all paid with some of that stimulus money and they repainted the whole place.

For now I'm off until Wed., then it is 3 days on. I think that is going to be just the right amount of hours.
    Czechbikr likes this.

Sponsored Links