Curios and Relics License
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Curios and Relics License

Member #
    Liked
    181 times

I was going through an older issue of a gun magazine and came across an article about obtaining a C & R Collectors License from the BATFE for the purpose of "collecting" firearms that BATFE classifies as "Curios and Relics".

I was just curious if any members of the forum have this license and what your experiences have been in obtaining the license and using it to add to your collection.
    bubblehead likes this.

I spent years on a ship that sank on purpose and you expect me to be normal?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18027 times
    I've got one. $30 bucks to renew every three years. Supposedly any unmodified firearm with a 50 year old receiver can be shipped directly to your front door. You are the FFL. Sometimes the ATF will put a firearm on the list for reasons unknown, but that is just a bonus. You're supposed to keep a record of who you bought from and who you sold to, as with any FFL. You're just not responsible for background checks. When milsurps were cheap and plentiful, having the license was an easy way to empty my bank account. It's been a while since I used it, but I'll renew, because you never know. Call you regional ATF office or go online to apply, just remember a C&R FFL cannot be used for a firearms business.

If you go to online gun dealers they'll have C&R weapons marked as C&R or 03 FFL.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45472 times
    I have been attracted to the idea for a few years now and since my FFL charges 20.00 I would be ahead of the game in a short while. The expensive part would be buying a new and larger safe as mine has no room at all to this point.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    473 times
    I have a C&R and find it very worthwhile but I also like older handguns anyway. Not every dealer will accept C&R licenses and in those cases I simply move one. While it's true that when it comes to C&R firearms they really aren't making anymore it's also a fact the when they were making them they made lots of them.

A Colt Model 1903 32acp that was made in 1906 and is still as accurate and reliable as it was over a century ago. It is also quite often my primary carry.

The next handgun I buy will be the next to last handgun I ever buy!

Member #
    Liked
    34677 times
    I was thinking about this recently. The ATF web site makes it sound like you have to be a museum to qualify. It also says they can show up and inspect your facility. Nope, I'm not signing up for that.

Somebody tell me I'm wrong, please, but I'll need to see it in black and white.
    texastaurusguy likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33395 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    I was thinking about this recently. The ATF web site makes it sound like you have to be a museum to qualify. It also says they can show up and inspect your facility. Nope, I'm not signing up for that.

Somebody tell me I'm wrong, please, but I'll need to see it in black and white.
    That's the reason I never did it, because technically they can show up and inspect your guns and who knows what else. No thanks.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    34677 times
    BTW Sig_230, you've got a good example of one of my long time goals. The 1903 is just such a classic JMB design.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    5325 times
    I had a C&R license for many years. They are a great way to bankrupt yourself.
    I still, after all these years, have some rifles still covered in cosmoline.
    I'd buy a gun then buy 4 cases of ammo for each gun. One of the reasons I have about 40,000 rds of ammo.
    A lot of people back then would buy maybe 5 of the same rifles, keep the best and sell the rest. A sort of a grey area.
    It was great fun back when I had money.
    DeltaBravoKS and CJS3 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2588 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sig_230 View Post
    I have a C&R and find it very worthwhile but I also like older handguns anyway. Not every dealer will accept C&R licenses and in those cases I simply move one. While it's true that when it comes to C&R firearms they really aren't making anymore it's also a fact the when they were making them they made lots of them.

A Colt Model 1903 32acp that was made in 1906 and is still as accurate and reliable as it was over a century ago. It is also quite often my primary carry.
    Beautiful example! My 1903 was made in 1930. Yours, however, is in far better condition.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid."

Member #
    Liked
    140 times

I started with the C&R ad liked having it. Did not like the fact that I was so restricted in what I could buy and then sell, so obtained the regular FFL type 1 license which is much more complicated and expensive. I was retired, now I am in business from home. Still getting used to it. I have been inspected by the ATF and I passed the inspection. We’ve all heard horror stories about how bad they make things, that has not been my experience. You just obey the laws and go by their rules. I have to caution though, this can be expensive and time consuming. Not recommended for a hobbyist.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Czechbikr likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links