Gun / Firearm Data Base for PC (Windows 10)
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By texastaurusguy
  • 1 Post By BC605
  • 2 Post By ManxTom

Thread: Gun / Firearm Data Base for PC (Windows 10)

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1505 times

Gun / Firearm Data Base for PC (Windows 10)

Last Sunday was a sad day.. my Samsung S7 died on me. No amount of techie encouragement would bring it back, at least to a condition whereby I could download all the stuff on it..!! So I now have a brand spanking new Samsung S10. On my S7 I had an app called, I think, Gun Vault. It was good, let me list all my stuff with all the important details. But it appears it's only for smartphones (you call them cell-phones, we just call them mobiles..).

Do any of you ever-so knowledgeable chaps know of anything similar that runs on a PC running Windows 10?? Preferably free, but I'm not that mean I wouldn't pay a buck or three.

** Don't know how you guys operate in the US with mobiles. We have been with Vodafone for almost 30 years and get excellent 'most valued customer' status. My new S10 was, basically, a free upgrade, same monthly tariff and another 15GB of date per month at no extra charge.. Happy days..
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    2894 times
    Look at "MyGubDB".....it says it works on windows, mac and linux.

MyGunDB: The #1 firearm inventory software for collectors

Edit: OOOpps.....says you can download for free, but to register it is $45!
    a.k.a. Higgy Baby

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33341 times
    Be careful with any app or database that stores your guns, serial numbers, and other pertinent data. You have to wonder if this information ends up in a NSA database somewhere in the bowels of a building in Langley. I would just create a Word or Excel doc with the info, import the pics, then password protect the file. Keep it on your cloud in case your house burns down.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk
    Car_Doc, jwc007, darbo and 1 others like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2048 times
    I have an Excel spreadsheet for mine.
    Given the small amount of data I need/want to keep on my firearms, a fairly simple spreadsheet works pretty well for me.
    It is password protected and unless the law enforcement is searching my hard drive remotely they aren't likely to get my info.
    I don't do cloud storage either - I don't trust it. I just back up important info on a thumb drive.
    If the house burns down, there will be enough info on what's left in the safe to reconstruct the list. The serial numbers are all engraved on metal parts of the guns.
    Last edited by BC605; 05-21-2020 at 03:01 PM.
    Desperado likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6284 times
    I took a look at some of the off-the-shelf gun database products and for the very reason that TTG mentioned decided to build my own. I have a tech background (prior to being a chef) and am pretty fluent in various DB products and built a comprehensive MSExcel spreadsheet that keeps all the info I need for personal and insurance purposes. Its local on my own machine so no one has access to it but me, and it is pw protected on 2 levels. And from having said experience (worked in Palo Alto for many years) I DO NOT trust the security of the off-site cloud.

EDIT/Followup: I keep a Samsung EVO 1TB SS Drive for backups. If the house burns down I can just grab that and go. And hopefully the fireproof safe will also protect any needed hardcopy.
    Last edited by chefduane; 05-21-2020 at 03:09 PM.

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1505 times
    Thanks guys. Like Chef I trust nothing I can't physically lock away. I have three external hard drives that I use for storing 'important stuff' on. Plug in, save to HD, remove HD, carry on. I have never used any 'cloud' saving. Don't trust them. Stupid name anyway.. what's a cloud other than something that appears in the sky, blocks the sun, and spoils the enjoyment you were trying to have..!!!

Bring back 5" and 3" floppy discs..!!
    jtg452 and chefduane like this.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    5913 times
    You can make a table on Word with however many columns and rows as you need. If you don't have Microsoft Word, no big deal. You can always download OpenOffice and have all the same tools at your disposal, and best of all it's completely free.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    There are password collector programs like KeePass that run on computers as well as hand held devices.
    You can put notes in there to help you.

If you're looking to pull information from the web, Genitron is great

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links