Will gun smiths be a thing of the past?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Will gun smiths be a thing of the past?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47647 times

Will gun smiths be a thing of the past?

Gun smiths seem hard to find these days. Places that offer gun smith services often turn out to be just glorified gun cleaners or parts changers on MSR's.

Off and on I have been looking for a gunsmith to fix a Marlin Model 57M Levermatic rifle. It will not feed cartridges properly. Suspect it is a bad lifter or lifter spring as the cartridge just falls short of going into the chamber. I have talked to several "Gun Smiths" in S. Florida and no one will commit to working on it. Had one tell me to bring it in, when I got there he changed his mind.

Makes me wonder if young people are just not becoming gun smiths if we will have any in years to come.

Starting to look for another Gun Smith again as i really do want to get it fixed.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    1070 times
    After owning Remington 1911 models, CZs,(and CZ clones) Kahrs and S&W all my life I finally bought a Glock 43x. I discovered the simplicity of the Glock compared to other manufactures and how easy a Glock is to mod, troubleshoot and repair. I have learned other models are as simple as the 43x and can not understand the complexity of some of the other brands of firearms. Not saying there is no time when a Glock needs a true gunsmith, but they can be worked on with a little experience and using a bit of common sense.....more so that many other manufactures models.
    Sekol likes this.
    "She said her name was Emergency and asked to see my gun....said her telephone number was 911"

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3875 times
    I've actually considered an online gunsmithing school myself. It is hard to tell just how much you learn, but I assume it is like many other blue collar trades--it is becoming a thing of the past. Everyone is told to go to college to be able to make a living, but using your hands to make a living has been successful long before there was such a thing as a college.

I've never sought a gunsmith, so I don't know how more or less accessible they are today as compared to the past, but I assume it is just a sign of the times.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7033 times
    There are many trades that can make a very good living. If some of the younger generation would go to a good trade school, if collage is not for them. They would not have a hundred thousand dollar debt and a degree that is not worth anything.

Member #
    Liked
    1732 times
    I'm looking for a smith to check out my S&W.38s made in 1906-08. I want to shoot them. The two shops i deal with said the smiths they use are old and not taking any work until the virus calms down.
    Sekol likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8375 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    Gun smiths seem hard to find these days. Places that offer gun smith services often turn out to be just glorified gun cleaners or parts changers on MSR's.

Off and on I have been looking for a gunsmith to fix a Marlin Model 57M Levermatic rifle. It will not feed cartridges properly. Suspect it is a bad lifter or lifter spring as the cartridge just falls short of going into the chamber. I have talked to several "Gun Smiths" in S. Florida and no one will commit to working on it. Had one tell me to bring it in, when I got there he changed his mind.

Makes me wonder if young people are just not becoming gun smiths if we will have any in years to come.

Starting to look for another Gun Smith again as i really do want to get it fixed.
    Check around with your local CAS club for a 'smith that knows lever guns. There are folks out there that specialize in Marlin lever guns but the closest one I can think of is up in TN. Lever guns aren't sexy enough for most younger smiths to learn about since they don't have detachable mags and picatinny rails.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47647 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Check around with your local CAS club for a 'smith that knows lever guns. There are folks out there that specialize in Marlin lever guns but the closest one I can think of is up in TN. Lever guns aren't sexy enough for most younger smiths to learn about since they don't have detachable mags and picatinny rails.
    None anywhere near me within a few hours drive that I can find.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45335 times
    Send it back to Marlin?
    Sekol likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47647 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    Send it back to Marlin?
    I guess I could call them, this rifle is from 1959, is it even the same Marlin company as it was then?

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1857 times
    The main problem is there is no money in gunsmithing unless you are one the top pistolsmiths in the pistolsmith guild doing custom work or a custom rifle builder. Too many people don't want to pay a fair price to fix in your case a lever action, not saying you wouldn't FKL but that is the reality. How much do people pay Electricians, Plumbers, HVAC, Carpenters etc... a Gunsmith is a skilled trade also but a lot of people question $50-$75 an hour labor. I learned a long time ago I can make much much more as a General Contractor than a machinist or gunsmith.
    Sekol, loudviking and Bruntson like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links