Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Your one handgun - $900 limit

5K views 57 replies 42 participants last post by  Desperado 
#1 ·
Okay, let's tweak the other related thread a bit.

If you could only have one handgun, and you had to bring the cost under $900. That includes any extra magazines/speedloaders/grips that you'd want to have too. If you always open carry, fine, if you concealed carry and also need to be prepared for animal attacks... you determine the mission details, just explain it.

At this price point, I might commit to wearing baggy shirts or a jacket all the time, and go for my TEOTWAKI gun, which I already own.

Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Revolver

It's a Rock Island 1911A2; 14+1 capacity of .45ACP. That's a lot of attitude adjustment. One of them just sold on gunbroker for $410. It has higher capacity and a longer sight radius/higher velocity than my Cold Defender because of the 2" of barrel it has that the Defender doesn't. Many of the RIA parts are the same as single stack 1911s. You can see some custom work on mine; I added the thumb safety, and my gunsmith put on some nice tritium sights. And I'm still well below the $900 limit. I carry this concealed on a regular basis.

So what else would you buy/put together for under $900?

See less See more
#4 ·
Oooooh, now that's a great idea. More capacity, darn good round in a platform that makes a .45 feel like a 9mm. Nice pick.

5.5" Uberti .45
Okay, I bet you've got some interesting reasoning for that choice. Tell us!

#5 · (Edited)
Reasons-

- reliability of SA is high IMHO
- SA slows me down... So I shoot better and use less ammo
- a good .45 load can stop a large creature
- I can easily (and do) reload .45
- I can reload powerpuff loads for plinking
- birdshot is available
- I would look good on a horse with this gun plus my Rossi lever :)

Material property Wood

#11 ·
She's nice but a handful especially with the 3" barrel and full bear loads. Weight is right at 4 pounds, so for myself that means a shoulder holster or chest holster. And I use 45 Schofield for social carry.
Also mine doesn't like metallic 410 cartridge. Came JUST under $ 900.00 after everything.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I've never even come close to spending $900 on a handgun. That's why when I was younger, I really loved Taurus guns, because they fit my budget and you could get a pretty nice gun for not so much money. Even today, though, I look for good deals and I think I can honestly say that the most I've ever spent on a handgun was $605, which was my Taurus PT1911. And to answer the OP, it would either be that gun or my Taurus model 66 that I would choose.

#22 ·
I've never even come close to spending $900 on a handgun.

I agree. My pick is the RUGER SR9C. Small & light enough to carry with the supplied 10rd mag. Great home defense with the supplied 17rd mag. Has a rail for light or laser. Great trigger and accuracy. Very soft recoil. And it's has one of the strongest build qualities I've ever seen. I doubt anyone could wear it out. Truly a lifetime firearm.

#12 ·
one gun, multiple situations including hunting , protection from animals and gang bangers??
under 900 bucks--likely this--10 MM Tanfoglio Elite Match-- 14 +1 capacity.

Attachments

#14 ·
My Kimber 1911 Pro Carry II .45acp, because it works....

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Reactions: GhostHorse
#15 ·
Well, just like the other thread, for a one handgun for versatility and all purpose use, I'm sticking with a six inch .357 magnum revolver. In my case, S&W 586. Should be able to get a new one under $900.

#17 ·
With a $900 limit I'd opt for another 1911. Either one of these would do. The Ruger is a 10 mm and needs to be polished. The Colt .45 Auto is pretty nice too.

If it were to be my only handgun, I'd stick with a short barreled Blackhawk convertible in .45 or .357.

Attachments

#24 ·
S-A MD-M Elite Precision. But for clarity, is that $900 list price, or street price?

#28 ·
I was thinking street price.

Feel free to start another thread where it's $900 list price. ;D

#31 ·
yea, they are a bear to conceal in a IWB or pocket holster and they are a bit heavy with like 30 rounds in them however!
course this one is a 300 Black out, so ammo is heavier by a bunch.
easily under 900 bucks though--this one was 499 plus shipping.

Attachments

#27 ·
I would have said that but I already have several.As much as I love my wheel guns and 1911's I would have to say my Springfield XDm in 9mm.Bought mine used from gunbroker years ago.Fellow was a competition shooter and everything has been upgraded.Shoots lights out with the best striker fired trigger I have ever shot.Came with the case,factory xdm gear,range bag,5 magazines,and two holsters.
If I had to buy it new and supply all of that $900 might cover it.Good thing I have half of that in all of it.

#33 ·
Have to be a 1911. I don't think I could get or build a double stack in .38Super that cheap, so I guess it will have to be another single stack .45.

My first choice would be buying and modifying a 4" Smith Model 69 for carry (bob hammer, cut the wings off the target trigger, serrate or lightly checker the trigger face, cut the barrel off just behind the ports and recrown, do a carry 'meltdown' on all the edges, fit a set of fixed sights with a fiber optic front and chamfer the chamber mouths) but that would go over your $900 budget.

#35 ·
I'm changing my mind. The OP said you could only have one handgun. That makes the point not really the price, but the gun itself. So... what gun is closest to a master-of-all-trades... a .357 Magnum revolver with a 4" barrel. You can hunt with it using 158gr. softpoints, small enough to carry for self-defense with 125gr. HP, compete with 148gr. wadcutters. As close to total competence as there is. Now, I want adjustable sights and something built like a tank, and one where most wear parts can be easily replaced by the owner.

Ruger GP100 4" in stainless steel.

#36 ·
Load with wadcutters or round ball reloads and you can use a 4".357 as a pistol for kids to learn how to shoot handguns.

I've always thought that a 4" .357 (make and model is irrelevant) was the most versatile handgun around. You can make meat, defend yourself, plink and play, compete and teach kids and others to shoot all with one gun.

#40 ·
GEE---WHIZ!!!
whats with you guys and these furren guns??
they ain't accurate nor dependable I tell ya!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.