1911 .45ACP Defense Ammo - What's your preference?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: 1911 .45ACP Defense Ammo - What's your preference?

Member #
    Liked
    4714 times

1911 .45ACP Defense Ammo - What's your preference?

I'm at the point where Lucky Gunner or Midway is about to see a substantial ammo order from me, as my inventory is pretty depleted. I found myself quite torn though with the extremely abundant and diverse amounts of ammo out there when I went looking, and it seems every time I turn around there's a new highly touted ammo type being bandied about. Federal Synthetic Defense, little blue balls of frangible fury. Underwood Extreme Defender, looks like a phillips screwdriver head. Lehigh Maximum Expansion, somehow a hollow point bullet turns into a Chinese throwing star when it blossoms in flesh. And on and on and on it goes. Much of this ammo I know just shouldn't be getting fed into a 1911 as the nose is going to hit the feed ramp and either snag, or push the bullet further back into the casing and neither scenario is going to end well for you if you find this happening when you absolutely have to get a bullet out in a hurry under some dire circumstance. So, I'm wondering and thought I would call on some collective knowledge for you guys that have a 1911 bedside, or tucked on your person when you go out and about, what do you feed it? What ammunition do you trust your life to and you could highly recommend to a fellow 1911 enthusiast that's looking for a reliable, tried and true defensive round to build my mini arsenal back up on?
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Stephen Hawking

Member #
    Liked
    8296 times
    What cycles through the gun reliably?

Out of what cycles reliably, what does the gun group the best with?

Use that one.

What works the best in my gun may not even cycle in yours.
    olfarhors and darbo like this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47550 times
    I use Hornady XTP's in my carry guns. They feed reliably and I reload them myself.
    gyro_cfi, oso and darbo like this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33124 times
    I roll my own and I'm pretty much standardized on the Hornady XTP round. It's reliable and will expand at lower velocities. However, if I was buying ammo, I'd try to get my hands on the Federal HST and see how it functions in my particular guns.
    gyro_cfi, oso and jwc007 like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    34210 times
    This is the #1 advantage of .45ACP and .45 Colt. When your bullet weighs over 200 grains, it doesn't much matter, IMHO. There are times when I actually carry FMJ in .45ACP. If I'm not concerned about animals or unusually heavily armed attackers, "any hollowpoint that will feed well" is my answer. I have a couple of boxes of 185 grain hollowpoints, but only because I got a really good deal on them.
    jtg452 likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    8296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    This is the #1 advantage of .45ACP and .45 Colt. When your bullet weighs over 200 grains, it doesn't much matter, IMHO. There are times when I actually carry FMJ in .45ACP. If I'm not concerned about animals or unusually heavily armed attackers, "any hollowpoint that will feed well" is my answer. I have a couple of boxes of 185 grain hollowpoints, but only because I got a really good deal on them.
    I'm of the 'Big, slow, heavy bullets knows stuff down,' school of thought, too. if I have to carry a bullet as light as a 180, I'll carry a .40.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1827 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    I use Hornady XTP's in my carry guns. They feed reliably and I reload them myself.

I agree I load my own and stick with the proven XTP, you expansion and penetration. Also they seem to feed very good in any pistol and caliber.

Member #
    Liked
    28100 times
    MY goodness , depending on which mag I grab and slam into the gun you may get shot with a Hornady XTP, a Speer Gold Dot, an all copper hollow point, or maybe even an old school Federal Classic.
    but I normally try to carry around a 160 or 185 grain all copper hollow point or a Gold Dot in the 200 grain variety myself.
    as mentioned the number one rule for me is that anything that I put in a mag has already been tested extensively for FUNCTION, regardless of caliber or gun..
    there are no called time outs allowed in a gun fight!
    jtg452 and Zen Ape like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    3635 times
    I've been running Remington Ultimate Defense in all 4 of my guns. It's the old Golden Saber bullet with a low-flash powder. They make it in both full size(4"+ barrels) and compact(less than 4") variants.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."--Optimus Prime

œολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Member #
    Liked
    9430 times
    I have been using Federal Hydra Shok for many years. There are a number of reasons - It's always in the top couple every time there's a test. It's been a perennial favorite of law enforcement for a very long time since 1986, I believe. I carry what the local cops carry. I don't want some hot shot persecuter to tell the jury I'm a cowboy looking for a fight if I ever have to use my weapon to protect my family or myself. I've used 185 or 230's in my .45s or 124's in my 9's. Most importantly, I have never had a failure or a problem with the ammo. Every gun I've ever put it through has thrived on it. I've shot some Critical Defense, Cor Bon, Golden Saber and others with no problems, so I can't say anything bad about the other stuff, but I've always chosen the Federal for my carry and self defense ammo.
    Last edited by Divebum; 03-14-2020 at 06:34 AM.
    bubblehead and Zen Ape like this.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links