1911 .45ACP Defense Ammo - What's your preference? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: 1911 .45ACP Defense Ammo - What's your preference?

Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    Same ammo my dad used in his issue 1911 as a Guerrilla on Leyte during WW II ...and the same ammo he used in that same weapon during the Korean War, and again in Vietnam in 1966.........standard issue ball ammo. It's been a proven knock down and kill round since before just about anyone on his forum was born....why mess with success ? Self-defense shooting occurs within 15-20 feet max, and often within the walls of your home - why spend $$ for "designer ammo" (as I like to refer to it.....).......
    MOONDAWG likes this.
    U.S. Navy (Retired)1964-1984
    Cryptologic Direct Support Operator
    Vietnam Veteran (two tours)

NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Life Member since 1968

Member #
    Liked
    28099 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsailor View Post
    Same ammo my dad used in his issue 1911 as a Guerrilla on Leyte during WW II ...and the same ammo he used in that same weapon during the Korean War, and again in Vietnam in 1966.........standard issue ball ammo. It's been a proven knock down and kill round since before just about anyone on his forum was born....why mess with success ? Self-defense shooting occurs within 15-20 feet max, and often within the walls of your home - why spend $$ for "designer ammo" (as I like to refer to it.....).......
    ahh --to each their own-but the reason that I use modern expanding point ammo is that the bigger the hole the more damage and the more blood comes out.
    ball ammo is used by military due to agreement of nations as more humane round.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    4698 times
    Always found it interesting that politicians and and enough citizens to make them jump would cry about "humane" in regards to the act of shooting someone. There are places in the US you can go where you aren't allowed to have hollow point ammo because it's known to do more internal damage by expanding to a larger diameter upon entry of flesh, and consequently create more drag that makes it less likely to come flying out the other end which also allows for all that energy to be retained. There's a reason that design has been around for as long as it has and almost every state and federal LE has adopted them. They are far from "designer" at this point, although there is still plenty of designer out there. I can't argue the merits of good old fashion ball though. It will certainly do the trick as hundreds of thousands can attest to, and it's by far and away the most reliable when it comes to cycling. Don't be so quick to dismiss science though, as it has done some miraculous things like turning the Model T into a Bugatti, a bi-plane into a F-22, and a steam locomotive into a bullet train.
    olfarhors likes this.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Stephen Hawking

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    i`m hopelessly old fashioned , i prefer 230gr. hardball . thinking reliability over expansion everytime ------------barring that 230gr. winchester `ranger ` +p
    Last edited by fsimpson; 03-20-2020 at 06:35 AM.
    ​never trust a lawyer or a automatic pistol------john Dillinger

Member #
    Liked
    30165 times
    To be "cliche" .45 ACP hardball may not expand, but it never shrinks...
    fsimpson and olfarhors like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    541 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsailor View Post
    I don't think anyone would argue that .45 ball ammo is effective and there's nothing wrong with choosing to use it, but people use "designer" ammo for a couple reasons:

1) As olfarhors said, they (potentially) make a bigger wound channel
    2) They reduce the risk of over penetrating and hitting someone you didn't intend to hit

Regardless of caliber, the main thing is find an ammo that functions reliably in Your firearm, is accurate (poa/poi) AND is readily available so you can (almost*) always get it when you need it...

*I say almost because when people panic buy (such as they are now) you may be lucky to find ANY ammo if/when you need it.
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    527 times
    1911 I use any 230 grain Hollow Point no matter whom packed, shipped, or Made by. 1911 2 World Wars, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada in service from 1911 to 1989 never out of service with Spec. Forces. Ball rounds work well apparently, 78 years of service can not go wrong 1911 and ball rounds will stop em Hollow Points stop em better hahahahahhahahaha
    Taurus is as any other if I maintain Taurus My Taurus will take care of me

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links