1911 .45ACP Defense Ammo - What's your preference? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: 1911 .45ACP Defense Ammo - What's your preference?

Member #
    Liked
    28099 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    I use Sig V Crown 45ACP. I also use the Sig V Crown in my 45 Long Colt Guns.

Doesn't mean I don't keep Federal HST or any of the Hornady loads. Believe it or not the Sig V Crown in any caliber is less expensive than all the other name brand stuff in the same caliber.
    I been thinking about taking their 38 Super Plus P round for a drive myself!
    Nice to see a manufacture load this caliber and at true (or near) 38 Super self defense loading.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    30165 times
    My priorities are 1. Reliability and 2. Whats on sale.

There's not a nickles difference in the terminal performance of today's bullets.

There are too many variables in defensive shootings to claim one or more "Magic" projectiles.

The day that happens all the other ammo companies will go bankrupt and all the LEO agencies will carry the "Magic" bean.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    28099 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MOONDAWG View Post
    My priorities are 1. Reliability and 2. Whats on sale.

There's not a nickles difference in the terminal performance of today's bullets.

There are too many variables in defensive shootings to claim one or more "Magic" projectiles.

The day that happens all the other ammo companies will go bankrupt and all the LEO agencies will carry the "Magic" bean.
    Its always kind of interesting for me to read (and not casting stones to anyone now) well I use what my local law enforcement uses!
    well maybe its not the same elsewhere but here law enforcement pretty much uses what ever modern hollow point round that they get the best volume discount price on.
    so they may be using brand X this month and brand B the next month.
    its a lot more about putting the MAGIC PILL on target than what cultivar the MAGIC PILL is.
    in reality very, very few IF any of use will ever need to meet the FBI minimum standards for self defense ammo in a defensive shooting.
    230JHP, MOONDAWG, jtg452 and 1 others like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I'm really old line. I like a 200 to 230 gr. hard cast Keith semi-wadcutter at about 850FPS. runs like a dream and I don't worry about bullet malfunctions. I believe you can still get plated versions for indoor range use.

Member #
    Liked
    30165 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    Its always kind of interesting for me to read (and not casting stones to anyone now) well I use what my local law enforcement uses!
    well maybe its not the same elsewhere but here law enforcement pretty much uses what ever modern hollow point round that they get the best volume discount price on.
    so they may be using brand X this month and brand B the next month.
    its a lot more about putting the MAGIC PILL on target than what cultivar the MAGIC PILL is.
    in reality very, very few IF any of use will ever need to meet the FBI minimum standards for self defense ammo in a defensive shooting.
    After 46 years 8 months in Law Enforcement I can confidently say the "Bean Counters" in admin usually decide what you carry (as in lowest bidder) and NO, we don't change ammo due to the seasons; but carry the same ammo year round.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I trust my life to Hornady Critical Defense. Shoots well out of a Taurus 24/7 and a Rock Island 1911.
    I’m a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    23592 times
    I mostly carry 9mm these days, but were I to go back to the .45 ACP, I would be carrying any one of below, in no particular order, which I still keep on stock.

Remington Gold Sabre 185 grain JHP
    Remington 185 grain JHP - plain
    Winchester 185 grain Silvertip or PDX
    Winchester 230 grain Silvertip or PDX
    CCI/Speer 185 or 200 grain Gold Dot

Also note that when our local PD issued the S&W 4506 and 4566 pistols, the issue ammunition was the Remington 185 grain Gold Sabre and developed an excellent reputation for putting bad guys down.
    olfarhors likes this.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    20439 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    What cycles through the gun reliably?

Out of what cycles reliably, what does the gun group the best with?

Use that one.

What works the best in my gun may not even cycle in yours.
    I agree with this. Having said that I load my own using Hornady 200gr. XTP.
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Federal HST is my preferred for all handgun calibers except .380.

Member #
    Liked
    1746 times
    In my 1911s, 200gr ball.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links