Is this confirmation of reaching Oldie status..??
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Is this confirmation of reaching Oldie status..??

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1325 times

Is this confirmation of reaching Oldie status..??

I guess I've been around this esteemed forum long enough to be fairly well recognised by other members, so you'll understand my take on handguns from a British point of view - especially as I live somewhere that still permits ownership. That said, and although I've been around rifles for over 50 years, I struggle to get to grips with what I would call 'modern' pistols e.g. the Polymer Possy, the Glock crowd.

I fail to recognise, in me, what appears to be an inherent distrust of a pistol I can't physically see is cocked. In a nutshell, I deeply dislike striker fired pistols. There, I've said it..!! Give me a pistol with a hammer. Something I can see, something I can feel and, more importantly, something I can, where necessary, manipulate.

Now given that I'll never experience EDC (save that of my Army days and, even then, it was with a Hi-Power), I have the luxury of going to my club to shoot; the only times my pistols leave the house.

OK then, an oldie, a recreational/sports shooter and British. Am I wide of the mark with my dislike of striker fired handguns??
    darbo, jtg452, bobbojama and 4 others like this.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    20401 times
    I have 1 striker fired pistol, a Taurus 709 and like it a great deal. Other than that all of my pistols are hammer fired, just the way I like it. Color me an oldie! And I have only owned guns for about 8 or so years.

Member #
    Liked
    3039 times
    Heck, I used to have an unreal fear and distrust of plastic pistols but now-----I have a half dozen. You need to get modern man.
    Czechbikr and dogchild like this.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8274 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxTom View Post
    I guess I've been around this esteemed forum long enough to be fairly well recognised by other members, so you'll understand my take on handguns from a British point of view - especially as I live somewhere that still permits ownership. That said, and although I've been around rifles for over 50 years, I struggle to get to grips with what I would call 'modern' pistols e.g. the Polymer Possy, the Glock crowd.

I fail to recognise, in me, what appears to be an inherent distrust of a pistol I can't physically see is cocked. In a nutshell, I deeply dislike striker fired pistols. There, I've said it..!! Give me a pistol with a hammer. Something I can see, something I can feel and, more importantly, something I can, where necessary, manipulate.

Now given that I'll never experience EDC (save that of my Army days and, even then, it was with a Hi-Power), I have the luxury of going to my club to shoot; the only times my pistols leave the house.

OK then, an oldie, a recreational/sports shooter and British. Am I wide of the mark with my dislike of striker fired handguns??
    Nope. not as far as I'm concerned.

I make a LOT of people mad when I refer to the current striker-fired, Fantastic Plastic generation of Wonder 9's as 'lowest common denominator guns'.

They take a minimal training to learn their function. Pull the trigger and they go bang because there's no safeties to have to remember to disengage.

They are easy to shoot because they have a single action trigger pull weight, so it takes a minimal range time to reach some modicum of proficiency with them.

Combine that with their affordable price and reliability and it seems perfect for issue in large numbers. Until, that is, the minimally trained start getting too comfortable and complacent with the guns and negligent discharges start happening.

The problem is, you combine low to no weapons handling skills or training with a light trigger pull and no manual safety and you have what I consider a negligent discharge (human error IS negligent, after all) waiting for a place to happen.

If I say, "The local paper ran an article about a local guy that Glocked himself in the leg yesterday," most here will know that he did something he shouldn't have and shot himself in the leg.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    4455 times
    Every pistol I own is hammer fired, not by design, but default... I never gave it a lot of thought.
    ManxTom, taurustoter and DA-Auto like this.
    May 2020 find you safe, happy and healthy!
    Vote for the preservation of our Constitution!
    Keep
    America Great - TRUMP 2020!!!!

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1325 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Nope. not as far as I'm concerned.

I make a LOT of people mad when I refer to the current striker-fired, Fantastic Plastic generation of Wonder 9's as 'lowest common denominator guns'.

They take a minimal training to learn their function. Pull the trigger and they go bang because there's no safeties to have to remember to disengage.

They are easy to shoot because they have a single action trigger pull weight, so it takes a minimal range time to reach some modicum of proficiency with them.

Combine that with their affordable price and reliability and it seems perfect for issue in large numbers. Until, that is, the minimally trained start getting too comfortable and complacent with the guns and negligent discharges start happening.

The problem is, you combine low to no weapons handling skills or training with a light trigger pull and no manual safety and you have what I consider a negligent discharge (human error IS negligent, after all) waiting for a place to happen.

If I say, "The local paper ran an article about a local guy that Glocked himself in the leg yesterday," most here will know that he did something he shouldn't have and shot himself in the leg.
    I with you all the way and especially regarding negligent discharge. My Army weapons instructor used to tell us there were only two forms of firearms discharges. Intentional and Negligent. And that an 'accident' only happened because of a particular human error in the process thereby creating a negligent action.
    jtg452, Lomax, lwb92af and 1 others like this.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    22938 times
    Nah. Well, I hope not . . . While I do prefer visible hammer guns I don't have a problem with striker fired guns I do take a hankerin' to striker fired guns with cocked indicators like the small steel post sticking out the back to remind you you are cocked and ready to rock! This is my Springfield XDm 10mm cocked

Name:  201DEF33-DD12-4131-B47A-BFCB6F4E4054.jpeg
Views: 66
Size:  2.72 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by daytonaredeye; 03-02-2020 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Edited pic
    olfarhors, taurustoter and YOT like this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    3264 times
    I still own a Glock 19 and CZ P-10C as well as 3 OSS and 2 PT-111 G2, and 2 TX-22. I usually don't count the OSS in this group as they have an indicator, and decockers.

My preferred carry gun is a CZ P-07.

I always assume striker guns are always ready to go off.

Maloy
    Lomax and DA-Auto like this.

Member #
    Liked
    8274 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxTom View Post
    I with you all the way and especially regarding negligent discharge. My Army weapons instructor used to tell us there were only two forms of firearms discharges. Intentional and Negligent. And that an 'accident' only happened because of a particular human error in the process thereby creating a negligent action.
    I figure accidental discharge sounds better than Acts of God. If the gun breaks and goes off, it's an accident.

If the gun's not broke, it's on the loose nut behind the trigger.
    GhostHorse and william like this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    5276 times
    6 of my 20 handguns are striker fired including both of my carry guns.
    6 long guns, 8 if you count my muzzle loading rifles of my 28 long guns have hammers.
    I actually prefer my firearms not have hammers because hammer fired guns have a much slower lock time.
    Czechbikr likes this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links