Is this confirmation of reaching Oldie status..?? - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Is this confirmation of reaching Oldie status..??

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    22938 times
    It really is sad that shooting and the shooting sports have become so vilified as to hold sway over competition organizers in modern day. I used to play a good bit of golf but have had to give it up for health/mobility reasons. Shooting is a great sport that can be enjoyed by people of all ages - especially those who have been robbed of their mobility and other normal methods of ambulation by Father Time and increasingly infirm bodies.. And, I never understood why GB has had the aversion to armed citizens. In WW II when the Germans took overFrance and began their advance on England, American citizens were begged of by Brits to send them firearms to arm the populace b/c all arms had been confiscated at the end of WW I. If we hadn't gotten involved GB would now makeup the western border of Germany.

Sprechen de Deutsch?
    ManxTom and taurustoter like this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

"To own firearms is to affirm that freedom is not a gift from government...As the Founding Fathers knew well, a government that does not trust its honest, law-abiding, taxpaying citizens with the means of self-defense is not itself worthy of trust."

The possession of arms by the people is the ultimate warrant that government governs only with the consent of the governed.

Member #
    Liked
    36601 times
    First I said you were old when your music showed up in the bargain bin at Walmart.

Then I found my music in the bargain bin at Walmart.

Then I said you were old when your music disappeared from the bargain bin at Walmart.

Then my music disappeared from the bargain bin at Walmart.

Then I said that you were old when you'd ask the clerk at Walmart for music by your guy, and he'd say, "Who?"

Then I went to Walmart and the clerk had never heard of my musicians.

Then I said you were old when you'd ask the clerk at Walmart where you could buy music, and he'd say, "Buy? Don't you just download it?"

Yeah... I'm getting old.

Last edited by MadKaw; 03-08-2020 at 09:49 PM.
    Keeper of The Pledge

GCS d? s+: a+++ C++ UL++++ P+ L++ E W++ N++ o+ K- w
    O M-- V-- PS+++ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t 5++ X- R+ tv+ b++++ DI++++ D+
    G-- e+++ h---- r+++ y+++ PL++++

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

If the Russians hacked Clinton's email then she is guilty of a felony for exposing classified information to a hostile government.

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxTom View Post
    I guess I've been around this esteemed forum long enough to be fairly well recognised by other members, so you'll understand my take on handguns from a British point of view - especially as I live somewhere that still permits ownership. That said, and although I've been around rifles for over 50 years, I struggle to get to grips with what I would call 'modern' pistols e.g. the Polymer Possy, the Glock crowd.

I fail to recognise, in me, what appears to be an inherent distrust of a pistol I can't physically see is cocked. In a nutshell, I deeply dislike striker fired pistols. There, I've said it..!! Give me a pistol with a hammer. Something I can see, something I can feel and, more importantly, something I can, where necessary, manipulate.

Now given that I'll never experience EDC (save that of my Army days and, even then, it was with a Hi-Power), I have the luxury of going to my club to shoot; the only times my pistols leave the house.

OK then, an oldie, a recreational/sports shooter and British. Am I wide of the mark with my dislike of striker fired handguns??
    I thoroughly agree with you! But to prove that I have an open mind about such matters, I actually did purchase a Glock once - it was the large-frame .45 ACP model - from a police officer friend once. He was changing jobs from an agency that required him to purchase his own sidearm to one that issued 3rd generation S&W .45 Autos. I then decided that I didn't like it. Eventually I sold it on to a friend who actually LIKED Glocks, and who subsequently moved from Kentucky (where we both lived at the time) to Dallas, Texas. So I am responsible for one less Glock in Kentucky (queue the little birds singing and the sun shining brightly).

My principle objection was not so much the striker, but the little so-called safety banana dongle thingy on the trigger.

BTW, sympathies from one Tom to another on the cancellation of the football season over there, and the cancellation of the TT!
    Last edited by tpelle; 03-14-2020 at 04:22 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8275 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MadKaw View Post
    First I said you were old when your music showed up in the bargain bin at Walmart.

Then I found my music in the bargain bin at Walmart.

Then I said you were old when your music disappeared from the bargain bin at Walmart.

Then my music disappeared from the bargain bin at Walmart.

Then I said that you were old when you'd ask the clerk at Walmart for music by your guy, and he'd say, "Who?"

Then I went to Walmart and the clerk had never heard of my musicians.

Then I said you were old when you'd ask the clerk at Walmart where you could buy music, and he'd say, "Buy? Don't you just download it?"

Yeah... I'm getting old.

Name:  PS_0525W_GETTING_OLDER.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  106.6 KB
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    5276 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Name:  PS_0525W_GETTING_OLDER.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  106.6 KB
    Both!

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1326 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tpelle View Post
    I thoroughly agree with you! But to prove that I have an open mind about such matters, I actually did purchase a Glock once - it was the large-frame .45 ACP model - from a police officer friend once. He was changing jobs from an agency that required him to purchase his own sidearm to one that issued 3rd generation S&W .45 Autos. I then decided that I didn't like it. Eventually I sold it on to a friend who actually LIKED Glocks, and who subsequently moved from Kentucky (where we both lived at the time) to Dallas, Texas. So I am responsible for one less Glock in Kentucky (queue the little birds singing and the sun shining brightly).

My principle objection was not so much the striker, but the little so-called safety banana dongle thingy on the trigger.

BTW, sympathies from one Tom to another on the cancellation of the football season over there, and the cancellation of the TT!
    Well as far as the football season is concerned that's not a problem for me as I hate the game. I'm a BIG rugby fan and have been all my life. The TT is a different matter. No decision to cancel has been made as yet but, the way things are going, it looks likely they will be cancelled.. or maybe postponed. Time will tell.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    Well as far as the football season is concerned that's not a problem for me as I hate the game. I'm a BIG rugby fan and have been all my life. The TT is a different matter. No decision to cancel has been made as yet but, the way things are going, it looks likely they will be cancelled.. or maybe postponed. Time will tell.
    I wish I could watch Rugby over here. Soccer is coming on strong, and our local team, Football Club Cincinnati, has moved up to the big leagues, but I've grown weary with soccer. All of the drama queens that feign injury, and after a certain time has expired, spring back up fully healed, as if Jesus Himself performed a laying on of hands. Rugby has much more action! And it's really quite similar to American Football, so someone growing up watching the NFL can pretty much tell what's going on!
    ManxTom likes this.

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1326 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tpelle View Post
    I wish I could watch Rugby over here. Soccer is coming on strong, and our local team, Football Club Cincinnati, has moved up to the big leagues, but I've grown weary with soccer. All of the drama queens that feign injury, and after a certain time has expired, spring back up fully healed, as if Jesus Himself performed a laying on of hands. Rugby has much more action! And it's really quite similar to American Football, so someone growing up watching the NFL can pretty much tell what's going on!
    Time for the NFL boys to join the men.. I mean who wants to run around after an oval ball with a helmet on their head and more body armour than Henry V at Agincourt..!! And how many referees do they need? Don't they trust just one?
    taurustoter likes this.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    34049 times
    Time for the NFL boys to join the men.. I mean who wants to run around after an oval ball with a helmet on their head and more body armour than Henry V at Agincourt..!! And how many referees do they need? Don't they trust just one?
    That helmet and armor are there because football players used to get killed. Heck, given what we know now about brain damage I wouldn't let any son of mine play the game at any level.

From Wikipedia:

A Scottish author wrote in 1908 that[130]
    The British newspaper reader is apt to obtain his idea of the importance and standing of American universities chiefly from the accounts of their athletic prowess, which was measured roughly, a few years ago, by the number of students who were killed or maimed in the course of a season's football.
    From its earliest days as a mob game, football was a violent sport.[16] The 1894 Harvard–Yale game, known as the "Hampden Park Blood Bath", resulted in crippling injuries for four players; the contest was suspended until 1897. The annual Army–Navy game was suspended from 1894 to 1898 for similar reasons.[131] One of the major problems was the popularity of mass-formations like the flying wedge, in which a large number of offensive players charged as a unit against a similarly arranged defense. The resultant collisions often led to serious injuries and sometimes even death.[132] Georgia fullback Richard Von Albade Gammon notably died on the field from concussions received against Virginia in 1897, causing Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Mercer to temporarily stop its football programs.
    In 1905 there were 19 fatalities nationwide.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47520 times
    I guess I've been around this esteemed forum long enough to be fairly well recognised by other members, so you'll understand my take on handguns from a British point of view - especially as I live somewhere that still permits ownership. That said, and although I've been around rifles for over 50 years, I struggle to get to grips with what I would call 'modern' pistols e.g. the Polymer Possy, the Glock crowd.

I fail to recognise, in me, what appears to be an inherent distrust of a pistol I can't physically see is cocked. In a nutshell, I deeply dislike striker fired pistols. There, I've said it..!! Give me a pistol with a hammer. Something I can see, something I can feel and, more importantly, something I can, where necessary, manipulate.

Now given that I'll never experience EDC (save that of my Army days and, even then, it was with a Hi-Power), I have the luxury of going to my club to shoot; the only times my pistols leave the house.

OK then, an oldie, a recreational/sports shooter and British. Am I wide of the mark with my dislike of striker fired handguns??
    I prefer hammer fired guns however I also have some striker fired guns and like them as well. If the same gun was available in striker fired and hammer fired I would get the hammer fired. That said I will not avoid getting striker fired guns.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links