Concealed carrier defends himself from an ambush against 2 armed attackers - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Concealed carrier defends himself from an ambush against 2 armed attackers

Member #
    Liked
    27749 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Yellow springs is a little smaller than Atlanta, they only have 10 officers.

YEA-for sure!
    we had more cops in the single block of my fire station than that!--GriiiN.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    3805 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Yellow springs is boonieland in itself, but where they were in Yellow springs is way out there- right between no place and where am I- so I'm thinking, unless someone was out there patrolling it would have been a good 15-20 minutes before anyone showed up.
    to make matters worse, in spite of being ambushed by the crazy ex and her new husband, he may face charges in this.

https://www.wdtn.com/news/local-news...shooting-case/

In Ohio anybody who shoots someone and claims self defense can potentially face charges even if it was in his own house or car. The castle doctrine is probably not a valid defense in this particular situation because the male defender was outside his car when he started shooting, but even so, the castle doctrine is not some "shoot someone and get out of jail free regardless of the circumstances" card.

For one real life example, a guy is telling the police that he shot at and missed a burglar. When the burglar saw the resident the burglar turned and ran toward a basement window, and was trying to go thru the window when the resident started shooting at the burglars backside. Fortunately the resident missed, because he told the police that he was shooting to keep the guy from getting away. The resident's admitted actions and statements invalidated a self defense claim under the castle doctrine, had he actually hit the burglar.

While the law professor is generally correct, one of his statements makes it clear to me that I would not want him as MY defense attorney if I needed one.

Now, the Duncans will wait to see if they will face charges.

The main question in the investigation is whether they can claim self-defense in using deadly force.

“To me it seems pretty straightforward with the man. I’m not as sure with the woman…because she comes later,” explained Thaddeus Hoffmeister, professor of law at the University of Dayton. “So it will be interesting to see who engaged fire first.”
    Unlike the old Roy Rodgers TV shows, you do not have to wait until the attacker shoots at you in order to claim self defense in Ohio. If you do, and the attacker hits you, you've made the whole self defense issue irrelevant anyway. If the attacker does shoot first it would help to bolster your claim, but it's not required under the law. The circumstances of this particular case should make it pretty clear to most reasonable and prudent persons that the woman is a potential deadly threat regardless of whether she shoots first or not.

Hoffmeister also explains tha Ohio’s Castle Doctrine Law, which permits use of deadly force if protecting one’s home or car, will consider Lindsey’s mindset in the moment. “This goes back to the mindset of the individual who fired the shots. Because…before you can use lethal force you have to believe that someone is going to cause you serious physical harm and or death,” said Hoffmeister.
    And this part of the professors statement is true in Ohio regardless of the castle doctrine or not.

I would be extremely surprised if there are any charges filed against the concealed carry holder in this case, given all the information that has come out so far. Obviously this could change if some startling new information comes out. Even on the remote possibility that charges are filed, there has been changes to Ohio law, and the bar to get a conviction is now higher than it was in the past.
    RScottie likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    25530 times
    Wow, talk about a crazy ex!

I hope they release the video from the surveillance camera's she was using to monitor the attack.

MOLON LABE
    "Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." ~James Madison

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6825 times
    Looks like somebody plans had a few holes in it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links