• 4 Post By TrucksNCoffee
  • 1 Post By DeltaBravoKS

Thread: 3 yr old gets ahold of fathers gun and shoots himself in the leg

Member #
    Liked
    4100 times

3 yr old gets ahold of fathers gun and shoots himself in the leg

https://www.whio.com/news/crime--law...uCnfrGPYDflqN/

Police and medics were called to a shooting at a Eubanks Drive home in Riverside.

“A 3-year-old got ahold of his father’s weapon and accidentally shot himself in the leg,” Riverside police Sgt. Michael Safried said.

The gun was in a bedroom, and the young boy brought it into the living room where he was playing with it before he shot himself, the sergeant said.

The child’s father was home at the time, and the boy was taken to the hospital in stable condition, Safried said.

The shooting is under investigation and it’s not clear whether the father will face charges, Safried said.

Firearm safety is of the “utmost importance,” especially when children are in the home, the sergeant said.

"If you're going to own firearms, buy a safe. Secure them, keep them unloaded if you're not going to put them in a safe. Your children are most important."
    The police Sgt. didn't mention it but I know a few people who subscribe to the POGO philosophy (pants on gun on) even at home. Not only is your gun secure against this type of thing happening, you don't have to go get it if you need it quickly. Of course this is more convenient for most people with a smaller handgun. Some people might consider it paranoia depending on where you live, but viewed as a safety measure it might seem less so. In the past I've lived in some places where you might be a victim of a violent crime even while taking trash out to a container or some other similar action. (as Mas Ayoob once mentioned happened to a few people in one of his articles)
    777Driver and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4160 times
    Hopefully the kid is okay and the dad learned his lesson. It is always interesting that the "official" response to a wayward gun is that they should all be unloaded and locked up. Maybe the cops should take the lead and leave their guns locked in their trunks. Wouldn't we all be safer on the roads if we kept our cars locked in the garage too?

I hadn't heard of the POGO philosophy, but here are a few others that you may want to consider subscribing to. I'm guessing that TA.net members have a few other options as well.

GOARMED

Gun On And Ready Most Every Day.

GOTOBED

Gun On Taser On Best Effective Defense

GOODGOLLY

Gun On Out Doors Gun On Lest Liberty Yearns.
    jlpgumbo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8834 times
    mine are on me or in the safe no exceptions
    Desperado and pegasus like this.
    avatar is VA-34 Blue Blasters squadron insignia one of the many I wore from 1977-1998

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    35514 times
    Plain old common sense goes a long way. A three year old in the house. Think about it.

I’m a believer in starting educating children at a young age. It removes the curiosity about certain things that they naturally have. This, and that common sense I mentioned.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    4477 times
    No Children in or around home.. EDC pistol within reach or on person at all times..
    IF I had kids in the home, it would be handled differently.
    My children learned about firearms at a very early age. It may seem nasty, but I would allow our kids at 4 years old, under adult supervision to hold and shoot my Ruger security six, no ear protection, just eye protection. The recoil and report cured any curiosity they may have had. The youngest didn't want to hunt or sport shoot until he was 17.
    May 2020 find you safe, happy and healthy!
    Vote for the preservation of our Constitution!
    Keep
    America Great - TRUMP 2020!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    They never say what the gun was. I believe it was a gun with a trigger safety that the owner felt was safe. If it also had an external safety, how many 3 yo can flip a thumb safety or if a revolver, pull a DA trigger. If you do have a semi no matter what safety, why not leave the chamber empty. A 3 yo could never rack a slide but the adult could in a split second when needed.
    2nd Amendment Patriot.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    21942 times
    I am reminded of a story from the pioneering days in the mid-west. A father came into his small home to find his five year old son playing with dad's single action revolver, which he had been told to never touch. Dad calmly took the revolver (hammer was resting on an empty chamber) and asked his son to follow him to the back of the house. He had the boy take a watermelon from their small garden and put it on a stump. Dad had son stand next to him, about 10 feet from the watermelon, whereupon he cocked the pistol and fired a single shot, blowing the melon to pieces. He then handed his son, shocked from the noise and splattered with watermelon, the smoking revolver and told him to put it back where he found it and never, ever touch it again without permission.

The way I heard it, the boy learned his lesson, 'cause he passed that story down to his own children and grandchildren.
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4160 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    I am reminded of a story from the pioneering days in the mid-west. A father came into his small home to find his five year old son playing with dad's single action revolver, which he had been told to never touch. Dad calmly took the revolver (hammer was resting on an empty chamber) and asked his son to follow him to the back of the house. He had the boy take a watermelon from their small garden and put it on a stump. Dad had son stand next to him, about 10 feet from the watermelon, whereupon he cocked the pistol and fired a single shot, blowing the melon to pieces. He then handed his son, shocked from the noise and splattered with watermelon, the smoking revolver and told him to put it back where he found it and never, ever touch it again without permission.

The way I heard it, the boy learned his lesson, 'cause he passed that story down to his own children and grandchildren.
    How many watermelons have to give their lives in the name of gun safety?
    Rotorflyr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt View Post
    They never say what the gun was. I believe it was a gun with a trigger safety that the owner felt was safe. If it also had an external safety, how many 3 yo can flip a thumb safety or if a revolver, pull a DA trigger. If you do have a semi no matter what safety, why not leave the chamber empty. A 3 yo could never rack a slide but the adult could in a split second when needed.
    I don't think you can count on a young child not being able to chamber a round on most semi auto's, particularly with the EZ models of handguns, or 22 cal semi autos. I'm quite sure a young child could flip off a safety. As far as DA handguns, it depends on the handgun. I was able to pull the trigger on my brothers DA .38 revolver at age 5.
    OTOH, I bought a brand of DA handgun once (ordered it without actually trying one out first) and only found out after I got it the trigger pull must've been designed by an anti gunner or trial attorney. It would've been a challenge for Godzilla.

Another option for a loaded handgun besides a conventional safe is a quick access combination lockbox. It won't stop a determined burglar or an older teen bent on getting the gun no matter what, but are okay to just to keep the gun inaccessible from young kids while you are at home. It's not as quick as just hiding it in a drawer, but if you're worried about super rapid access the POGO method is better than either storage method.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links