What's your trigger?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: What's your trigger?

Member #
    Liked
    1314 times
    And I'm not talking about snowflakes that get triggered...

What are some of the trigger pull weights for your guns?

I measured three today (my most recent purchases) using my spring Wheeler gauge

4.5 lbs Ruger Wrangler
    5.5 lbs S&W 15-22
    6.5 lbs Star BM9

I have some firearms with very light triggers (light to me... Just over 1lb) and some that are horrible (immeasurable)

I keep a log of trigger pulls with my inventory paperwork (serial #s etc)

Name:  0114201311_1579035172695.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  3.15 MB

What's your trigger?
    777Driver and silverstring like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4182 times
    I have no idea. I know some guys get caught up in the trigger, but I've never even bothered with wondering how good/bad/other the trigger is. When I pull it, it shoots. Takeup, pull, hitch, reset, none of it seems to matter to me.

Member #
    Liked
    1314 times
    I never used to care... But I bought the trigger guage for a few bucks and now find it interesting to compare and contrast
    Lomax and funflyer like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7086 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    I have no idea. I know some guys get caught up in the trigger, but I've never even bothered with wondering how good/bad/other the trigger is. When I pull it, it shoots. Takeup, pull, hitch, reset, none of it seems to matter to me.

I agree with DB 100%. Sometimes you will see someone post on this forum about a gun that they just bought. It's not difficult to tell that they are in experienced in the world of guns and that the majority of their knowledge is what they read online.

I prefer a very light trigger on some of my target gun But that is about it. I see people talking about their concealed carry firearm and and they're talking about the trigger is gritty and the Reset is too long. I'm sorry but we're talking about a fire arm that if it is going to be used as protection this user will not even feel the trigger. If it was a 25 pound trigger he would have no problem puling it in that instant when it is needed the most. Another thing is sights. In an emergency situation Which everyone agrees is instantaneous I don't see any sense in trying to find a site picture or your night sights in an up close in your face defensive situation. I Point shoot in this situation and I practiss from the hip all the way up to full extension. I have been doing it for so long it is 2nd nature.

I agree with the DB on this one. The trigger is what the trigger is and it's not a problem dealing with it.

Don
    Last edited by BangBang; 01-14-2020 at 03:30 PM.
    Are we the only country dumb enough to start a second civil war because we are offended by the first one?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46080 times
    Like I've said before...those drop in triggers for the MSR are my Kryptonite. The rest of my guns have OEM stock triggers that I just get accustomed to.

I actually stopped the impulse to buy another pistol lower on sale because I knew I'd be jonesing after another 89.00 upgrade to the trigger....(and an SB brace for another 70 bucks)
    DeltaBravoKS likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    5372 times
    Back in the distant past when I shot IHMSA pistol silhouette I cared about the trigger pull because at 200 meters a heavy trigger pull could affect my accuracy.
    I ran my T?C Contenders at 24 oz and my XP100 at 8 oz. I later increased the XP to one pound.
    All 3 handguns are still set at those weights.
    My XP100 in 708 Remington is still after 39 years still my favorite single shot handgun to shoot, despite (or maybe because of) the fireball out the muzzle.
    DeltaBravoKS likes this.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7798 times
    I learn the gun, don't expect it to learn my likes...............
    I do a Fluff and buff on all my firearms, other than that stock springs.................
    DeltaBravoKS and Lomax like this.
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    23856 times
    I'm one who doesn't get into things like trigger pull weights. If I shot competitively, that would definitely change. But for plinking and perception of self defense I don't worry about it. Just like I don't recall hearing the actual gunshot or feel the trigger pull or recoil of my deer kills despite not wearing ear protection I figure at typical self defense distances, it still wouldn't matter. BUT . . . . that doesn't mean I can't tell what is occurring with my guns. I can detect the short reset of all my Sig P series pistols and can tell they are definitely different from my GLOCKs. I can tell just by feel that the trigger pull of my Security Six 357 has had trigger work because it is slicker and smoother than melted butter and different from every other Ruger revolver I own or have shot before. But, this a nice thread topic!
    DeltaBravoKS and Lomax like this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

"To own firearms is to affirm that freedom is not a gift from government...As the Founding Fathers knew well, a government that does not trust its honest, law-abiding, taxpaying citizens with the means of self-defense is not itself worthy of trust."

The possession of arms by the people is the ultimate warrant that government governs only with the consent of the governed.

Member #
    Liked
    1314 times
    Other than drop-in 3.5lb Rise RA-140 triggers I put in a PSA AR10 and a CMMG AR15... I only own one gun that has had trigger work

i bought a Ruger SP101 from someone who put in new springs and a tritium front sight... Both nice upgrades

I still like to pay attention to and measure, just for fun and comparison, trigger weight in all my guns... Just like I compare and talk about sight pictures, ammo finikiness, perceived recoil, grip texture, price, accuracy etc etc etc

Member #
    Liked
    8545 times
    The lightest handguns I have are around 3.5 pounds on the SAA clones that I use in CAS competition. That was a result of cleaning up all of the tool marks on the inside of the frame and on the internals and then putting in a spring kit. It's lighter than I prefer but they are range tous and I've learned to adapt to them.

I learned to shoot on a military rifle with a 2 stage trigger and enjoy actually shooting DA revolvers double action. As long as it's got a consistent break, I can shoot it just fine.

On single action semi autos, I prefer what most folks consider a heavy trigger. All of my single action semi autos have 4.5-5.5 pound triggers and there's take up and overtravel on every one. I just need to know it's going to break *right there* like a 2 stage more than I need something that goes off in a stiff breeze or a 'properly done trigger' where there's no indication of where you are on the trigger stroke.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links