Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Liability Question

Member #
    Liked
    18418 times

Liability Question

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Sh...565620911.html

So this guy shoots at the guys that were stealing his toolbox. He says they pulled a weapon on him and he started shooting. I know he could be held liable if he accidentally shot a bystander. Would he be liable for broken windows, holes in cars, flat tires, etc? Read the story yesterday. We ate right next to the Costco last night and I started thinking.
    777Driver likes this.

Obama: AK-47s are for soldiers.
    Arwine: MAK-90s are for civilians.

This world would be a much better place if people would mind their own business.
    -Me

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2988 times
    There isn't anything in the law that gives immunity. So YES you can be held liable and have the pants sued off you.

Maloy
    YOT, DeltaBravoKS and Nimbly like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2780 times
    In tort law, you'd basically have two theories to work from, that of trespass to chattels or negligence. Trespass to chattels is an intentional tort, which means that there must be intent to interfere with someone's property. Negligence, however, is the "biggie" when it comes to torts. All those injury lawyers on TV are wanting you to call them for a negligence claim. Negligence requires duty, breach of duty, actual cause, proximate cause, and damages. I can't imagine one who shoots a gun not being found negligent when property is damaged. Of course, state laws may actually limit the duty imposed on a self defense shooter.

Here are two things I'd suggest. Contact an attorney in your state for specifics on duties imposed on a self defense shooter, and make sure you have liability insurance that covers property damage as a result of a self defense shooting.
    Ralph_Kirk likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1029 times
    Now the thief is responsible for this or at lest the guy protecting himself is not if he was lawfully protecting himself. The police were not held accountable for damage in upholding the law.
    A SWAT team destroyed a Greenwood Village family’s home. Now, a federal appeals court says police don’t have to pay for the damage.
    https://www.denverpost.com/2019/10/3...y-for-damages/
    jtg452 likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2780 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickthus View Post
    Now the thief is responsible for this or at lest the guy protecting himself is not if he was lawfully protecting himself. The police were not held accountable for damage in upholding the law. https://www.denverpost.com/2019/10/3...y-for-damages/
    Citizens have duties to each other that the government does not share. The government, through history, has immunity from tort liability unless the government has relinquished that immunity (and, surprisingly, many have relinquished it in some circumstances). Fortunately, even if the citizen is sued, he will be able to bring the "criminal" in as a third party and shift his liability to the criminal or at least get the criminal responsible for the citizen's own losses. Unfortunately, the criminal will likely have zero assets, so the citizen is still on his own (which makes insurance all the more necessary).
    Cariwine likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18418 times
    Maybe you could get the toolbox. That would be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    Citizens have duties to each other that the government does not share. The government, through history, has immunity from tort liability unless the government has relinquished that immunity (and, surprisingly, many have relinquished it in some circumstances). Fortunately, even if the citizen is sued, he will be able to bring the "criminal" in as a third party and shift his liability to the criminal or at least get the criminal responsible for the citizen's own losses. Unfortunately, the criminal will likely have zero assets, so the citizen is still on his own (which makes insurance all the more necessary).
    DeltaBravoKS likes this.

Obama: AK-47s are for soldiers.
    Arwine: MAK-90s are for civilians.

This world would be a much better place if people would mind their own business.
    -Me

Member #
    Liked
    5531 times
    My CC instructor told me you're responsible for the projectile from the moment you
    launch it until it stops. Now, this is North Carolina.

All the Best,
    D. White
    YOT, Ralph_Kirk, JStacy and 3 others like this.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual
    rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27268 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhite View Post
    My CC instructor told me you're responsible for the projectile from the moment you
    launch it until it stops. Now, this is North Carolina.

All the Best,
    D. White
    I believe that would be the case anywhere.
    Nimbly, Old_Sp5 and Ralph_Kirk like this.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” – George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    19407 times
    I was wondering more if Costco would cancel his membership for carrying a firearm in the store. While not posted outside of the store to prohibit conceal or open carry is it a condition of membership to not carry in the store.

Member #
    Liked
    22049 times
    So what liability does Costco hold since this happened on their property?
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links