Cure for gun violence - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Cure for gun violence

Member #
    Liked
    29790 times
    Since common sense is now considered a super power, I'm not optimistic about the next generation of adults.

Males who don't know what a lug wrench looks like, or how to use it...

Mothers and fathers "forgetting" they left the baby in a 140 degree locked car...ad nausium.

How can they be trusted with a loaded gun?
    olfarhors and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    34156 times
    Just some food for thought...

"There were some frontier towns where there were gun restrictions, such as in Tombstone, Arizona, where an 1881 law made it “unlawful to carry in the hand or upon the person or otherwise any deadly weapon within the limits of said city of Tombstone, without first obtaining a permit in writing.” Laws of this extent were mostly unheard of in most American cities and were unusual in the Old West. But even in this limited case, they proved ineffective. Perhaps the most famous gunfight in all of American history took place at the O.K. Corral between Tombstone authorities (including the Earp brothers and Doc Holliday) and associates of Ike Clanton, a rough-around-the-edges frontier character. As an article for NRA-ILA explains, “Tombstone of the 1880s is a peculiar model for those who today agitate for greater local authority to restrict or ban firearms.”

The notorious incident at the O.K. Corral took place in the closest equivalent to a “gun-free zone” in the 19th century. The gun control measure, such that it was, did little to stem gun violence, and likely provoked the infamous confrontation. Even the Smithsonian piece noted that Tombstone’s “most violent year was 1881, in which also only five people were killed; three were the cowboys shot by Earp’s men at the O.K. Corral."

From another article.......
    During a 15-year period in the late 1880s, there was an average of only three murders a year in Abilene, Caldwell, Dodge City, Ellsworth and Wichita – the five Kansas cities that served as significant railroad stops. This was far lower than murder rates in the eastern cities of New York, Baltimore or Boston at the time. (The city with the most murders of the five was Dodge City, which had 17 over nine years, less than two murders per year.)
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    6578 times
    I think that the lack of social inter action is a big part of the problem. Nobody talks anymore they sit 10 feet apart and text each other.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27319 times
    Well another school got shot up today, this one in California where the second has been all but trampled. Two dead and six shot is what I heard, The gunman is a 16 year old celebrating his birthday today. He supposedly turned his gun on himself, but so far has survived.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” – George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    4081 times
    I believe there are municipalities that require gun ownership. But it will never work across the nation. Too many "questionable" citizens.

My cousin lived in Kennesaw GA at one time and I recall him saying gun ownership was required there. He had no problem with that, being an experienced hunter.

Member #
    Liked
    3624 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    I had/have a goof friend that lives in Kennesaw, we discussed this several times.
    he said very few people went out a got a gun, it was primarily a STATEMENT made by the city leaders and citizens.
    the people that owned guns kept their guns the ones that did not or were afraid of guns pretty much remained that way.
    he said that he noticed no real difference in crime one way or the other as to this law.
    things could have changed since I haven't spoke to him in several years.
    I was in Kennesaw overnight about a year and a half ago (summer of 2018?) and talked with a couple of residents. One of them didn't even know about the law, the other said it was basically a political statement by the city in response to a town in Illinois banning handguns. It hasn't been enforced and hasn't changed gun ownership one way or the other among the residents. The law has a conscientious objector clause, if you don't want to own a gun you don't have to. Although I support this conscientious objector clause for requiring gun ownership, I wish anti gun legislation also had a conscientious objector clause also. I conscientiously object to being a helpless defenseless victim against a deadly threat.
    olfarhors and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links