Question for my friends in the north east of the US
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Question for my friends in the north east of the US

Member #
    Liked
    28 times

Question for my friends in the north east of the US

Since winter is going to be soon upon us does any one have any tips about the best way to protect you carry firearm. Also I had been hearing alot about people talking alot about road salts and how it causes damage to the metal on your car should this be a concern for you firearm in the winter condition or is this something that dosent need to be addressed?

Member #
    Liked
    36822 times
    Can't see road salt being an issue for your carry gun unless you make a habit of rolling around on the road.
    The only problem for winter wear is that your gun is less accessible under a winter coat. Stay alert, maintain situational awareness, practice removing your strong hand glove and drawing.
    CaptainMorgan likes this.
    Keeper of The Pledge

GCS d? s+: a+++ C++ UL++++ P+ L++ E W++ N++ o+ K- w
    O M-- V-- PS+++ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t 5++ X- R+ tv+ b++++ DI++++ D+
    G-- e+++ h---- r+++ y+++ PL++++

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

Member #
    Liked
    1859 times
    No and Yes to answer your questions.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    35244 times
    I think of winter as an easier season on firearms than summer. If your winter activities include a lot of sweating, or snow/water getting under your clothes, more frequent wipedowns with an oily rag would be a good idea.

You might also consider the silicone-treated cloths that you can use to wipe down a firearm's surface. Or good old stock wax, which is good for metal too. But barring snow working its way under clothing, or sweat, you shouldn't have much winter trouble. Road salt would only be an issue if you get road spray on your firearm. I'm picturing someone open carrying while changing a wheel by the side of the road, that sort of thing.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    35823 times
    Kept clean and lightly lubed, should be good in any part of the country, any season.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    6016 times
    If you maintain your firearms regularly there should be no issues. I've had mine out in snow and rain while hunting with no issues, while carrying they are more protected. Wipe them down with a silicone cloth or gun oil and you will be fine.
    Dan51 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus1965 View Post
    No and Yes to answer your questions.
    you lost me, my friend from happy valley.

Member #
    Liked
    35244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    Kept clean and lightly lubed, should be good in any part of the country, any season.
    Oh, sure, go with the clear, succinct answer. Sheesh.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    5244 times
    I'm from Iowa and we have cold winters. Ihave a Ruger SP 101 That I tightened up the tolerances in the trigger group. It was awesome during the summer at the range. I took it to the outdoor range in January and after exposed to the cold for a few seconds, I couldn't even squeeze the trigger because the cold reduced the tolerances so much.

Take your conceal firearm and try it out in cold weather to see how it operates before hand.
    Last edited by Bruntson; 11-13-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2432 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    YAAAABSOLUTELY !

While your firearm is under your clothing, it remains nicely warmed and thus when removed, will cool down and shed any moisture that has built.

Unless you DO spend a good bit of your time wallowing in drifts and sloshing about in the cold drizzling sleet, it will stay nice and dry inside your clothing. If THAT SLOPPING is the case, a wipe-down with an oily rag and an occasional blast with some sort of gunk-scrubber will keep things aright.

As has been mentioned, perfect your draw and presentation, don't fail to practice in bad weather - develop your presentation skills for the clothing and situation. If you are wearing a sweater and a long topcoat, an IWB rig is a difficult start. Nothing like a big gob of sleet smack in the middle of your rear sight to spoil your careful aim, and especially if your fingers are stiff and cold and the wind is 40 knots sideways, too. If you wear glasses, a hat with a brim to keep snow and rain off the glasses should be a part of your outfit, too. Practice, practice, practice.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links